Author Topic: Stripped Clutch Cover Screws  (Read 2212 times)

Kenho21

• I live my life 0.402336 kilometers at a time
    • View Profile
Stripped Clutch Cover Screws
« on: June 25, 2009, 08:34:13 PM »
I just installed 5.5g rollers in my clutch system and when I was assembling the cover that covers the whole assembly (the cover with the kick start on it) it seemed that a couple of the screws on the left side were stripped. I'm not sure how I did this as I was very careful, anyhow I must have stripped them. is this going to cause any significant damage? Also is there a way to repair without replacing the whole casing?
Thanks,
Kenho
2009 Kymco Agility 50- 72cc Airsal kit, Uni Free-Flow Air Filter, Main Jet 120, 1500 Contra Spring, 6g Rollers, Malossi Multivar Variator, NCY Exhaust, NCY 80cc Camshaft, Cut CDI, Smooth Boss Drive, MRP Ignition Coil

chubbyrockstar

• View Profile
Re: Stripped Clutch Cover Screws
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 08:54:11 AM »
if the bolts arent tight or holding tight it could cause alot of damage yes..
if the holes themselves are stripped you will probably have to rent a tap and die set from the hardware store or auto store and re-tap the bolt holes and use a slightly bigger bolt. its worth doing it this way to make sure it all stays together.

you may just need new bolts with nice clean threads..which the hardware or auto store should also carry..try new bolts first (take an old bolt with you to make sure of a match)

good luck

OldGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 11:01:21 AM »
Same question, different wording. You said the screws were stripped. If that's true you just need new screws. If it's the housing itself I recommend trying this stuff.

I've used it as a permanent repair for a bicycle pedal to the crank arm that was stripped with great results. For more info go here:

http://www.permatex.com/products/Automotive/thread_compounds/thread_repair/Permatex_Stripped_Thread_Repair.htm

Available just about everywhere including Ace Hardware.

Another possibility would be a thread insert, but that would require a lot more work and cost significantly more. Just Google "thread repair kits".
OldGuy
Wanna be GrandVista rider

Inside every old person is a young person wondering,
"What the heck happened?"

Kenho21

• I live my life 0.402336 kilometers at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 11:23:20 PM »
thanks a lot guys for your help, it is the holes by the way that are stripped, will that thread compound still work? I'm assuming I'll have to re-tap the holes, was just trying to avoid that. I definitely learned my lesson ALWAYS HAND TIGHTEN FIRST! Thanks again
2009 Kymco Agility 50- 72cc Airsal kit, Uni Free-Flow Air Filter, Main Jet 120, 1500 Contra Spring, 6g Rollers, Malossi Multivar Variator, NCY Exhaust, NCY 80cc Camshaft, Cut CDI, Smooth Boss Drive, MRP Ignition Coil

KymcoFan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 11:41:38 PM »
what was involved in replacing the rollers, and how many rollers are in the variater also did you replace the varierator as well and what was involved with that

OldGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 01:16:40 PM »
thanks a lot guys for your help, it is the holes by the way that are stripped, will that thread compound still work?
Yes.
Quote from: Kenho21I'm assuming I'll have to re-tap the holes, was just trying to avoid that.[/quote
No, You just put the goop in, coat the bolt with a release agent that's included with the kit, screw it in and wait for it to set.
OldGuy
Wanna be GrandVista rider

Inside every old person is a young person wondering,
"What the heck happened?"

chubbyrockstar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 01:22:39 AM »
KymcoFan

Variator has usually 6 rollers and its a very easy job if you have air tools, if you dont it can be a little harder to remove the Variator. All you do is pop the variator nut off, pull off the variator and there are six rollers behind it that lay in grooves, upon acceleration these rollers move outward or inward i forgot but that makes your belt rise and begin to move. to change the rollers they are on the backside of the variator.you just take the old ones out and drop 6 more in . Some scoots will have better acceleration with only 3 rollers, some with 6 so its kind of what you wish to try first.

3 rollers however can be tricky because when you replace them you have to use the other three slots instead of where you take them out of.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()