Author Topic: Anybody switched from GrandVista 250 to Downtown 300i?  (Read 10931 times)

windwheeler

• View Profile
    • WindStrom windshields
Anybody switched from GrandVista 250 to Downtown 300i?
« on: November 22, 2012, 06:18:34 PM »
I have a 2005 G/V 250 and I was eying with a newer 2012 Downtown 300i, test drove it and saw the good and the ugly. I am not really tall, 5'10", 32" inseam.  My biggest complaint is the seating position on the 300i.  The G/V is not too great either, but without the backrest at least "better" and more leg stretch possible.  The 300i seat does not even allow to take anything off and I felt cramped with the legs in right angle position.  On top of that I slid always forward on the seat while riding it on the interstate.  Otherwise, the 300i is the much more modern scoot and has a great engine, but if it is uncomfortable it spoils the whole thing.

Any reasonable fix to the seat?  All comments in comparison and as alternatives would be appreciated.

Eric
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 09:08:30 PM by windwheeler »

MaryK

• View Profile
Re: Anybody switched from GrandVista 250 to Downtown 300i?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 11:19:41 PM »
The GV and Downtown scooters were designed for short riders (5'7" max),
so if you are taller, then look at the other models of Kymco scooters.

Happy Thanksgiving,
New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

windwheeler

• View Profile
    • WindStrom windshields
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 12:19:12 AM »
Which models from Kymco do you think are better suited for taller than 5'7" riders?

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 02:30:38 AM »
Which models from Kymco do you think are better suited for taller than 5'7" riders?

The Xciting is higher than the DT....

Jimmyuk

• Profesional idiot
  • Ninja Freak
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 10:53:09 AM »
I`m 6ft 2" with a 34 inch inside leg and manage ok.
Ok its not the roomiest scooter and it would be nice if Kymco moved that backrest back an inch,but it certainly isnt as bad as i thought it would be.

windwheeler

• View Profile
    • WindStrom windshields
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 02:11:25 PM »
Hello Jimmtuk, I assume you refer to the Downtown (SuperDink).  How long time wise are you sitting on this thing with 34" legs??!  I ride the GrandVista often between 1-2 hrs in one stretch, and 2 hrs is about the max limit without brakes.  If I hadn't so much fun taking it through mountain twisting roads I would get off much quicker.  So I am concerned about "seat time" (not miles) on that Downtown.

Jimmyuk

• Profesional idiot
  • Ninja Freak
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 02:30:59 PM »
I only use it as a commuter,longest stint has been about 2 hours when i first got it,but usually a 20 minute journey.
Compared to my usual ride (a ZX12) it is super comfortable except for the jarring from the rear suspension,but most scoots are like this.
The biggest gripe for me was the buffeting at speed caused by the standard screen,for my height a higher screen is definately needed.
Next to a Burgman or similar monsters i can see it coming a distinct second best.

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2012, 06:40:00 PM »
While the DT300 could be roomier for it's size, it's fine for me, and I'm 5'11".

People and Xciting have more room though.
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

wheels

• USA, NC, Raleigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 04:41:29 PM »
Seat height is important and so is seat 'width'.  The xciting series have the widest driver seats I have ever tried, it makes your legs seem a lot shorter.

IMO, buttstops are idiotic, especially for scooters.  I have removed the buttstop (cut foam) on the DT.   Unfortunately there is still quite a forward slope to the seat but it is much improved.  I can slide all around forward to back and even use the upper footsteps and the passenger footsteps. 

IMO, Burgman 400 has the best ergonomics of this 'style' of scooters.
2012  DT 300i  26K miles,  Bestem 929, Biondi w/s, LED brake/tail,turn, OEM mirrors fairing mount, removed buttstop
2015  GTi300  7K miles, Bestem 929 case, PUIG TS w/s, mirrors mounted to w/s, led DRLs in windguards
2014  Honda CTX700,  35Kmiles, many mods

duesouth

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 04:47:36 PM »
I'm 5'11 and the leg room/seat bugs me. What's odd though is I've riden for 3 hour stretches and been just fine, but twisty mountain roads helps take your mind off it. Despite it, I think I'd rather have this than a Silver Wing, Burgman or Majesty, nothing against them, they are more roomy. The fuel economy, maneuvering, and corning is fantastic on the Downtown. I was going to opt for the BMW C600 this coming spring. However, with the uncertain economy here, I think I'll save a bunch and just get a custom seat, or at least I'm 75% sure that's what I'll do.

windwheeler

• View Profile
    • WindStrom windshields
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, 05:09:54 PM »
Seat height is important and so is seat 'width'.  The xciting series have the widest driver seats I have ever tried, it makes your legs seem a lot shorter.

IMO, buttstops are idiotic, especially for scooters.  I have removed the buttstop (cut foam) on the DT.   Unfortunately there is still quite a forward slope to the seat but it is much improved.  I can slide all around forward to back and even use the upper footsteps and the passenger footsteps. 

IMO, Burgman 400 has the best ergonomics of this 'style' of scooters.

Can you please explain how you cut the foam in the seat and made it still "tight?  Or is the seat skin floppy now?

windwheeler

• View Profile
    • WindStrom windshields
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, 05:19:18 PM »
I'm 5'11 and the leg room/seat bugs me. What's odd though is I've riden for 3 hour stretches and been just fine, but twisty mountain roads helps take your mind off it. Despite it, I think I'd rather have this than a Silver Wing, Burgman or Majesty, nothing against them, they are more roomy. The fuel economy, maneuvering, and corning is fantastic on the Downtown. I was going to opt for the BMW C600 this coming spring. However, with the uncertain economy here, I think I'll save a bunch and just get a custom seat, or at least I'm 75% sure that's what I'll do.

I agree with you, the Burgman 400 seems to give zero problems in ergonomics. It is heavy though. Gas mileage falls behind all the 300's. If Burgman is in consideration the other favorite (also of magazines) is the Yamaha TMax 500; the price is way up there, even used.

I was truly impressed with the handling and performance of the D/T300i on my test ride in comparison to all the others that I rode a while back, and my ONLY complaint is the seating position and the sliding forward on the seat.  I can't really imaging doing over 1 hr on it without needing to get off...

BTW: "rider height" is not the issue, it is "leg inseam" or leg length.  Seems 30" is still OK, 32" and up creates discomfort.

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2012, 05:41:21 PM »
I agree with you, the Burgman 400 seems to give zero problems in ergonomics. It is heavy though. Gas mileage falls behind all the 300's. If Burgman is in consideration the other favorite (also of magazines) is the Yamaha TMax 500; the price is way up there, even used.

I was truly impressed with the handling and performance of the D/T300i on my test ride in comparison to all the others that I rode a while back, and my ONLY complaint is the seating position and the sliding forward on the seat.  I can't really imaging doing over 1 hr on it without needing to get off...

BTW: "rider height" is not the issue, it is "leg inseam" or leg length.  Seems 30" is still OK, 32" and up creates discomfort.

How heavy are you and how what setting is your rear preload at?
I'm not sliding forward one bit, I was even sliding back with the preload at 2/5 (and I have a big topcase at the back).
The butt rest works fine for me.

Oh yeah, the Burgman 400 and Majesty 400 are about the same as DT300 regarding fuel consumption when all are stock.
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

windwheeler

• View Profile
    • WindStrom windshields
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2012, 06:01:17 PM »
How heavy are you and how what setting is your rear preload at?
I'm not sliding forward one bit, I was even sliding back with the preload at 2/5 (and I have a big topcase at the back).
The butt rest works fine for me.

Oh yeah, the Burgman 400 and Majesty 400 are about the same as DT300 regarding fuel consumption when all are stock.

Since it was a "test drive" I did not check the preload.  I assume it was on low or middle firm setting from the factory.  For my butt the pseudo back rest is not good.  The Grandvista had a similar BS and at least I could take it off, fixed the seat and now it is "aceptabe", not great.

The Bugman 400 and Majesty 400 do not get the same good gas milegae when compared 1:1 on the same road stretches and speeds as the D/T300i.  The D/T300i should beat them by in average 10 mpg averasge, or about 15% as a rule of thumb when compared apples to apples.  That makes perfectely sense based on a lighter scooter, less cc, and a more hp/cc engine = fuel efficiency right on paper.

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2012, 06:25:09 PM »
I'm asking because I've read so many DT reviews my head is spinning, and NONE, EVER.. mentioned the seat sloping
forward. The preload was probably jacked up all the way..

With my 90+kg (200lbs) and a topcase, at 2 out of 5 the seat slopes back, at 3/5 it's perfectly level.

But then again, most motorcycle seats slope forward to push your hands down on the bars, and I'm rather used to
that and don't even notice it much.
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()