Author Topic: Anybody switched from GrandVista 250 to Downtown 300i?  (Read 10919 times)

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody switched from GrandVista 250 to Downtown 300i?
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2012, 10:35:20 PM »
   I have a Yager and the seat is fine for a little while then you notice it feels hard
and it pushes you forward. I'm doing some radical surgery on it to make it more
comfortable. Check it out over in the Yager section.
2012 Yager GT 200I - Southern NH

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2012, 08:50:12 AM »
One other thing.

I've owned 3 new bikes, their seat gets softer as the miles pile on (and your
a$$ probably adjusts).
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

wheels

• USA, NC, Raleigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2012, 02:45:04 PM »
Can you please explain how you cut the foam in the seat and made it still "tight?  Or is the seat skin floppy now?

I trim the foam from underneath (side that hits the plastic pan) because it is really difficult to smooth out the foam on top.  I replace the top vinyl, marine grade and look for something that is not 'slick'.  There are sites that explain replacing/cutting motorcycle seats.

Its about a six inch drop from the passenger to the driver seat.  This increases the forward slope and your inner thighs give no support while seated.  I compensate (which is what I wanted) by moving around on the seat.  I can ride it like a cruiser or sportbike, to me, the worst position (in town) is the prairie dog sit-up front position.  I feel like I am jammed (arms) to far forward.  I am 5'7" in shoes with a 30" inseam.

IMO, safest and maximum driver control, your arms should NOT be holding your weight.  You have to unload the weight on your arms (time) to make quick control adjustments.  At times I do place weight on my arms just to change position and feel (not in town).
2012  DT 300i  26K miles,  Bestem 929, Biondi w/s, LED brake/tail,turn, OEM mirrors fairing mount, removed buttstop
2015  GTi300  7K miles, Bestem 929 case, PUIG TS w/s, mirrors mounted to w/s, led DRLs in windguards
2014  Honda CTX700,  35Kmiles, many mods

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2012, 03:26:53 PM »
IMO, safest and maximum driver control, your arms should NOT be holding your weight.  You have to unload the weight on your arms (time) to make quick control adjustments. 

I wonder how guy in MotoGP manage to take corners then.
They seem rather quick at their control adjustments.

'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

Adept

• Empaticus Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2012, 05:52:18 PM »
I have a Grand Dink 125. I got out the ass-stop. Like this I have enough space for me. I am 181cm and 100kg. If the Downtown has a same space, it is okay...
I rode an Aprillia Sport Cube 300 last month. It was a nightmare. I sat on it like a little child-chair, and my arms hold my weight. I couldn't stretch my legs at all...

I have a barely used (200km)14gr Dr Pulley rollers to SELL!! Send a PM if you interested in...

windwheeler

• View Profile
    • WindStrom windshields
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2012, 12:36:15 AM »
No, the D/T300i doesn't have the same space.  But only YOU can make the final decision.

Adept

• Empaticus Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2012, 06:48:21 AM »
No, the D/T300i doesn't have the same space.  But only YOU can make the final decision.

Less space then the Grand Dink??? But the DT is longer (2200 vs. 2055mm).  
Anyway, worth to try... :D I dont't want an Xciting, that is way big to me... To commuting (for 30-40km daily) DT is the best IMHO.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 06:53:37 AM by Adept »

I have a barely used (200km)14gr Dr Pulley rollers to SELL!! Send a PM if you interested in...

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2012, 11:25:26 AM »
Anyway, worth to try... :D I dont't want an Xciting, that is way big to me... To commuting (for 30-40km daily) DT is the best IMHO.

The difference in size when parked next to each other, or when riding one after the other is virtually unnoticeable.

The difference in seating position and handlebars is the biggest one.
Did you know that DT has the pillion seat 2 inches longer then XC?

If the commuting is outside of town, the XC is more comfortable, better planted on the road, but
DT owns it when it comes to ease of use and flickability.
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

windwheeler

• View Profile
    • WindStrom windshields
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2012, 12:43:18 PM »

You asked "without butt stop".  You can remove the butt stop on the G/V but not on the D/T, so there is the true difference. 

Also, just how you can move the feet around on the G/V make is more comfortable on longer rides than on the D/T (my 32" inseam), and the G/V does not get the greatest rating there to start with!   So it's very mixed feelings on the D/T.  Short hauls OK, long hauls (1.5 hrs +) I don't know if one can stand it.

Adept

• Empaticus Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2012, 01:16:44 PM »
What would be your offer?

The DT has the strongest engine in the category. Its size is good for the commuting. I won't touring a lot, i'm sure. The fuel consumption is fair. I don't want a bike with a car's apetite... :(
I don't know better option... I think there is no "perfect choice"..

In Budapest there is a motor-seat builer and designer, so maybe we can shape that seat if won't be okay.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 01:26:27 PM by Adept »

windwheeler

• View Profile
    • WindStrom windshields
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2012, 01:44:25 PM »
Agree, commuting no problem.

Very good engine and handling, and fuel consumption should be good too.

duesouth

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2012, 05:47:02 PM »

In Budapest there is a motor-seat builer and designer, so maybe we can shape that seat if won't be okay.

That might be the best option. When the weather turns bad, and I can't ride, I think I'll do the same.

As for touring, it's fine for occasional stuff. I've done 5 three hour plus trips. The first one was grueling. Adding padding to the seat made a big difference for me. Leg room still isn't great, but not to where I wouldn't take it. I'm 5'11, 200lbs, with 32 inch inseam.

wheels

• USA, NC, Raleigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2012, 05:46:30 PM »
I wonder how guy in MotoGP manage to take corners then.
They seem rather quick at their control adjustments.
/quote]

I am not a racer.  They use the tank, buttstop, torso, brains involving a keen sense of balance when countersteering.  They are also on a known race track.

Countersteering is quicker than waiting for the 'lean' to take effect.

Prove it to yourself.  Empty road and make quick moves to right and left with and without weight holding your weight with your arms.

The big problem for normal people is that 'lean' is used and you have to 'think' to use countersteering.
2012  DT 300i  26K miles,  Bestem 929, Biondi w/s, LED brake/tail,turn, OEM mirrors fairing mount, removed buttstop
2015  GTi300  7K miles, Bestem 929 case, PUIG TS w/s, mirrors mounted to w/s, led DRLs in windguards
2014  Honda CTX700,  35Kmiles, many mods

GhostRider21

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2012, 09:58:38 PM »
I had a SYM RV-250 and made the switch to a DT-300.  Like others have stated, the DT seating is not the best for taller riders.  I'm 6' 1" and I liked the RV-250 ride much better.  I like the acceleration and overall handling of the DT a little better but would like to stretch out my legs.  I've been on some longer rides (over 2 hrs) and it's not that bad.  I do tend to slide forward during in town trips and especially so on bumpy roads.  But for the price, gas mileage and performance, I really like the DT.

In an effort to improve my seating, I had the seat "adjusted" to give a little more room in the back.  Despite gaining another inch, I'm still a little cramped...although I like how it looks.  Here is the new seat with a comparison to the original one.

(New seat)

(Original seat)

windwheeler

• View Profile
    • WindStrom windshields
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2012, 11:44:40 PM »
Thank you very much for your feedback and posting the pictures.  Great job!

Eric

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()