Author Topic: Group Rides - Safety  (Read 4498 times)

Zimmerman

• ---------
  • Northeastern Pennsyvania USA
    • View Profile
Group Rides - Safety
« on: November 23, 2012, 12:11:39 PM »
During a group ride, every rider must understand the 'system.'

Please share your group ride comments and stories - I'm sure they will help others ride more safely as a group.

I've seen several scooter clubs / rallies that post group ride rules.
Here's one http://www.grscooterclub.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=670
Please share other links if you have them.

Kymco Yager GT200i
Kymco People 150
Yamaha Riva 125

fshfindr

• View Profile
Re: Group Rides - Safety
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 04:10:01 PM »
I am a member of the EZ Riders Scooter Club which is a pretty big scooter club with groups throughout the country.  For all ride we hope that each person is familiar with the rules.  The ride leader gives a brief safety talk before starting out.

This is pretty long but worth reading; 
EZ Riders Scooter Club Riding Safety Guidelines

It’s important that every EZ Riders Scooter Club rider read and understand this completely!
A group ride is normally composed of a Ride Leader (Leader) and (sometimes) a Sweeper, bringing up the rear.
Staggered (normal) formation
Normal group is done in a staggered formation. Basically, this is dividing a lane in half with each rider occupying his/her own half of the lane.  It is your responsibility to ride in the half of the lane as determined  by the rider in front of you.  For example, if the rider in front of you is riding in the center of the right half of the lane, you would ride in the left half, the rider behind in the right, etc.  If the rider in front needs to change lane halves to maintain the stagger, then  you must change lane position, and so on down the line.  The Leader usually starts the stagger in the left half position.  While in staggered group riding, the normal stagger distance is 1–2 seconds, and no more than a 3‐second gap, in order to maintain a tight formation and not allow traffic to interrupt and break it up.  This means that you should be 2–3 seconds behind the rider who is directly in front of you and using the same half of the lane.   When coming to a stop, the group generally forms up two abreast (side by side).  When the group starts off again, the rider on the left starts first. 
Second rider note: One problem that occurs with staggered formation is that the second rider (to the Leader’s right), having no one in front, tends to creep up until he or she has overlapped with the Leader. This means that the Leader, when needing to dodge to the right, may hit the second rider, resulting in a disaster instead of a minor annoyance. Keep your spacing!
Single‐file formation (no stagger)
Riding in single file, without a stagger, allows the riders more freedom to negotiate curves and dodge obstacles while having the freedom to use the whole lane.  It also allows for a more leisurely pace, with time to look at the scenery. Therefore, we will ride in a single file in these situations:
• When riding on curvy, narrow, unpaved, and narrow back roads.
• When turning at intersections.
• When there is an obstruction on the side of the road, such as a person or people or (in farm country) cattle or horses.
Changes in formation (stagger to single file, and vice versa) is dictated by the Leader.  Holding two fingers in a sort of Victory sign indicates a staggered formation, while the index finger pointing straight up in the air is the signal for single file riding. The only exception is that the Leader will not normally signal for single file riding when turning at intersections—this should always be done. In single formation the normal distance between riders is increased to 3–5 seconds (and 10 seconds on unpaved roads).  For safety, distance in a single file formation should not be so long that you can’t see the rider in front of you.  There are two reasons for this:
1. It is much easier to negotiate around corners by using the next rider’s position to “see” further around blind curves.
2. The rider can see and pass back hand signals indicating obstacles or other information ahead. 
Note that in the presence of horses and riders on the road, or to the side of the road, speed will be dropped to almost a walking pace as well as going single file. Sudden slowing for safety will be indicated by the left hand making pushing down motions, as if asking a car passing your kids to slow down. Horses can be easily spooked with resulting danger to both rider and bike. Slow bikes don’t usually spook horses. If you feel that the group pace is too fast, then motion the bikes behind to pass until the only one left following is the Sweeper. 
Then ride at your own pace until the next stop, when you should inform the Leader that you are uncomfortable with the pace.  The Leader will decide to either separate the ride into two groups, or go at a slower pace so that all members of the group feel secure. 
Group riding is NOT a race!
Maintaining the formation
If a rider in the formation needs to pull out for any reason, the group should close up the gap and reorganize the stagger.  Please do not pull off, also, unless you need to do so.  The Sweeper will aid the rider who has pulled over.  The next (last) rider then becomes the Sweeper of the lead group until the Sweeper returns to the group.  When turning onto another road, if the next rider back cannot be seen, either due to having traffic in‐between, or a large enough gap in the group for any reason, the last rider in the line must wait at the turn for the next rider to show up before leaving the turn so as to signal that the route has taken a turn.  This will keep the group together on the same route even though there may be unforeseen gaps in the formation.If not all bikes are able to get through a traffic light, the riders stuck at the light should signal the riders in front by beeping their horns (two beeps), with the horn signal passed forward to the group leader. The forward riders pull over as far over to the right side of the road as possible and wait for the rest of the group. When the Sweeper is through the light, he or she signals with several short horn beeps, and that signal is forwarded ahead. If the leader signals that the group should all pull over to the side of the road—with the left arm over the head pointing to the right—all riders should position themselves as far to the right of the shoulder as possible, while the leader’s position will not be as extreme, so the leader can have a good rear view of the riders and can more easily determine when it would be safe for the group to resume riding on the road.
Sweeper – Broken Bike
The broken bike procedure is for the entire group to pull over and try to fix the bike within 10 minutes; if the problem cannot be fixed in that time, the rest of the group carries on with the ride, asking for a volunteer to stay and support the rider with the broken bike—call for a tow, give the rider to wherever they need to go, etc.  If the Sweeper volunteers,  another rider will be appointed Sweeper.
Passage of Information through Signals:   
During the ride, the Leader will make various hand and leg signals. These signals indicate lane changes or turns, obstacles, increasing/decreasing speed, or whether to form a stagger formation or a single line.  These hand signals must be passed back through the group, from the front rider to the next rider in line.  That way each rider only needs to be aware of signals from the rider directly in front of him/her rather than everyone trying to keep an eye on the Ride Leader.
• Emergency stop (most important signal): Left hand folded into a fist on top of the helmet.
• Non‐emergency stop: Left arm held straight out to the elbow while the rest of the arm points straight up.
• Obstacles:  An outstretched left or right leg, indicating which side of the lane the obstacle is located. If you spot an obstacle in the road, immediately signal to the riders behind you so they have the best opportunity to dodge them.  Some typical obstacles that should be signaled as to where they may lie in the lane are: sand/dirt/gravel/rocks, potholes, dead animals, road dragons (pieces of truck tire treads), vehicular debris, tar snakes (road tar repairs), etc.  Remember that the riders towards the rear in a group ride will not be able to see as much of the whole road surface as those in front due to the visual blockage of the front riders.
• Rider forgets to turn blinker off: If the rider is in FRONT of you,  beep your horn twice (very short beeps), then hold your left arm straight out to the left, with your four fingers parallel to the road and your thumb hanging down. Then open and close your fingers in time to the flashing signal.
To tell a rider BEHIND you that their blinker light is on unnecessarily, give the handle signal above, but do not beep your horn. 
• Group behind must pull over to the side of the road:  Left arm over the helmet, pointing to the right, repeated as often as necessary. All bikes except the Sweeper should line up as far to the right as possible so that the Leader can more easily see the Sweeper bike when it arrives. 
When stopped, the ride leader may or may not dismount to be able to see behind more easily. Other riders should either stay mounted or if they feel the need to dismount do so only when safe to do so and immediately move to the right side of the bike if possible. Remember, dismounting and getting hit by a car will spoil the whole ride.
• Police car in area, warning approaching cyclists to slow down: Either the left fist put on top of the helmet and moved up and down or the open hand patting the top of the helmet. If you see either of these on your day‐to‐day riding, it either means a police car is coming or you’re about to go thru a speed trap.
Conclusion 

Group riding can be a lot of fun if all the members are comfortable within the group.  If one or more members of the group are not comfortable, then this should be discussed at the next stop so as to accommodate or correct the cause of the problem.  It's very easy to take each problem and, with a little tact, to teach whomever might not have a sufficient understanding of our group riding rules. 

Richard L. in Bellmawr
Keep The Rubber Side Down & The Helmet Side Up

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 05:59:23 PM »
Big groups are difficult. I prefer groups of 3 or 4. There is a tendency in big groups
to race to catch up and sometimes ride unsafely to keep with the group. If you split
a big group into smaller groups it usually works better.
2012 Yager GT 200I - Southern NH

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 10:38:06 PM »
The smaller the better. ;)

In Germany staggering is not allowed, because it contradicts the rule of keeping right. But we usually do it anyway, to keep the group shorter and obstruction of traffic less. Police doesn't mind.
A group of >20 riders is considered "excessive road usage", therefore notifiable and subject to approval. Police observes groups of riders, especially dressed in dark leather with patches and riding on HDs, quite intensive.

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 10:52:00 PM »
As an Organizer (Ride Leader) I try to keep it down to six.  When I reach 6 it is closed but riders can get on a list if someone drops out.  It is rare not to have drop outs.

Richard L.
Richard L. in Bellmawr

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 11:05:47 PM »
The stagger is nice for giving you a clear path in case of trouble but we change it all
the time, sometimes single file and always leave plenty of distance so you can ride
your own ride. I usually ride with the same two people and sometimes one more.
We ride a similar speed and like to stop at the same distances. It works out great!
2012 Yager GT 200I - Southern NH

Mike Green

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 11:54:01 PM »
1%ers
I've been reading some of the motorcycle forums and I find it disconcerting that ordinary, hard-working people who want to ride in small groups are concerned or afraid to cross the wrong people.
They talk excessively about how not to piss the 1%ers off, not to wear any of their patches or colors, and to stay away from their territory. Evidently the 1%ers are a bunch of bullies who want to intimidate others and get a kick out of confrontations or fights. Have any of you guys encountered any of these sh**-assess?
Mike

Zimmerman

• ---------
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 12:15:11 AM »
Mike,

No, Everyone I've met has been ok.

In my small town my 12 year old son and I scooted into the parking lot of the local Burger King (restaurant.)
There were two young guys (early 20's) just getting on their power pocket rocket bikes.  I pulled up to them and asked "Do you want to 'trade-up'?". Meaning did they want to trade their bikes for my scooter.

I didn't even know these guys but we had a good laugh and talked about bikes and tops speeds, etc - for a while.

My point in telling this story is most people really are good folks.  Treat people in a friendly respectful manner and most people are pretty nice.

There are some bad eggs in this world but I've not met them yet.

KZ
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 12:36:26 AM by Zimmerman »
Kymco Yager GT200i
Kymco People 150
Yamaha Riva 125

Zimmerman

• ---------
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 12:28:00 AM »
The smaller groups definitely sound safer.

I'm remembering a large group ride at a national scooter rally.
There where a few accidents.
While really fun, that scenario is probably the most dangerous - tons of riders who don't know each other and probably don't all know the 'group ride rules' for that group.

Do you guys ride at rallies?

KZ
Kymco Yager GT200i
Kymco People 150
Yamaha Riva 125

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 04:18:45 PM »
I've yet to do a group ride unless you count riding with a friend, but I follow the staggering rule. Actually I find this comes more into play when coming behind riders on the road at lights, stops signs or just in traffic. I drive on the opposite portion of the lane they're in. If they are in the right section I ride in the left. If in the middle, I pick left or right, and keep a little more than 2 seconds behind them. This way I know they will always see me, and be aware of my presence.

I haven't had any bad experience with other riders other than some negative comments from differences of opinion on safety measures (helmet V. no helmet debates) on my local Scooter club forum, but not in person. Are you saying people get upset if you're wearing the same color they are on their jackets, bike or helmets?

Another dangerous aspect of group riding is bike switching. Often members talk at rest stops and offer to switch bikes to see how they ride. Though this may be good in a parking lot, or on back roads in good conditions, the danger comes when having to deal with an emergency situation on an unfamiliar bike.

- Are its brakes tighter or looser than yours?

- How are the mirrors adjusted?

- Are you familiar with accessing the horn, or turn signals?

- Do your feet touch the ground in a comfortable way?

- Are you used to the weight of a different bike, especially if it is heavier than yours?

-Wolf

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 04:58:32 PM »
Are you saying people get upset if you're wearing the same color they are on their jackets, bike or helmets?
Members of a coterie like "Hells Angels" or "Blue Knights" get very angry if you wear their patches without explicit permission/membership.
Expect their physical "help" for an immediate undress. Followed by some beating (HA) or handcuffs (BK). :'(
But ordinary scooter club members are civilised and don't care about a "wrong" sticker etc.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 05:01:25 PM by ts1 »

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 07:01:47 PM »
I see now. Makes sense, though I wouldn't care to wear anyones patch if I'm not a member. I wonder if they've thought about making a profit if they sold their brand?

-Wolf

AVGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2012, 03:13:08 AM »
I've gone on group rides of up to 8 or so and enjoyed it, but you really have to pay attention. I prefer a little more space around me compared to others who've been riding a lot longer than I have and have found others getting too close for comfort when running at the speed limit.

As far as patches and colors, as a friend of mine explained to me, there's actually a group that oversees colors assigned to motorcycle clubs from state to state. If a club already has a certain color combination, another club in that state has to avoid using that combo when coming up with their patch. A national club patch may be ok in most states, but run afoul of an existing club in another state. You would think ok, what's the big deal, but when it comes to the more notorious clubs, an offense can be met with more than harsh words; somebody may be getting their butt kicked.
Grand Vista 250
"Big Scoot"

MaryK

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2012, 02:35:23 PM »
The Blue Knights are a police officer club/group. 
They have members that are uncivilized just as other groups do, but I don't classify them in with the 1%ers. 
In any case, I don't think that you would be wearing any "colors" that  the 1% clubs would get mad about.

"Colors" of the 1% motorcycle clubs refers to mainly to the large patch that they have on the back of their jackets or vests.
On the other hand, Street clubs use "colors" to mean any clothing with their colors, i,e. bandanas, shirts , jackets.

Although motorcycle clubs and street clubs may have started alike, they have evolved into somewhat different groups
since the motorcycle clubs have more interaction with the public.

Scoot Safely,

New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2012, 07:54:19 PM »
Alone or with a group, I have met other riders.  Scooters or MC's most riders are the good guys.  I've never even had a nasty word.  We're all there just to have fun.

Richard L.
Richard L. in Bellmawr

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()