Author Topic: does your x500 " growl" when first taking off??  (Read 10759 times)

jld621

• View Profile
does your x500 " growl" when first taking off??
« on: June 25, 2009, 10:16:07 PM »
Mine does.  I am wondering if my belt could be slipping???  If so , can you tighten it??  It almost squalls a litte, especially under load lilke going up incline from a stop or if I really try to do a fast take off.
It kinda sounds like a fan belt does when it is slipping.  any one else have this, and what should I do??
Or is it normal.  It seems to do fine after that few seconds of noise.

Duckdog

• View Profile
Re: does your x500 " growl" when first taking off??
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 01:27:49 AM »
Mine does it too.  I took the cvt covers off, and pulled the outer clutch cover off and checked the shoes. I then put it back together,(after blowing out the dust), and cleaned the rear sprocket (clutch) with rubbing alchohol, and it went away..... for a while.  What it is, is some residue from the belt sticking on the back pulley assembly near the outer edge.  It comes right off, but seems to want to return. The belt looks A-OK, so I am not too worried. I'm hoping that the belt will "wear in", as mine only has 2500 miles.

It takes about 20 minutes to clean the residue off, so it definitely isn't a big chore to do.

hgw75

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 01:53:47 PM »
I have 7000 miles on mine,does the same thing, and is the same cause. Cleaned it several times,now I just ride it. When it sits overnight it makes the noise for less than two or three take offs and does not do it for the rest of the day........ :o

jld621

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 02:03:10 PM »
Thanks guys.  I guess its not serious then.  Mine usually doesnt do it when I first ride it in the day, but as it get warm it does it until it cools off.  Same problem????

Alex

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 02:13:03 AM »
if I had that problem I would asume the belt was slipping and fit a new one.I noticed the black residue on the pulley when I had it off a week ago and cleaned it off...BrakeKleen is good for that, I also noticed a slight groove in the drive pulley at both inner and outer limits of the belt so presumed that it was wearing a bit and eventually would need replaced 

Duckdog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 07:02:40 PM »
The more I thought about this, what I think is actually the root cause, is the the belt is probably stretching a bit on take off from a dead stop, or very slow start. This would narrow the width a bit, which would cause it to almost slip a very small amount, leaving the residue on the rear pully.  From what I understand, the Dayco 8206K is the replacement belt for the OEM belt.  The only difference is the Dayco is Kevlar re-inforced.  I'm thinking that the Dayco would not stretch as much, which would probably help things out.

Another this that I did to help it, was to set my idle down to the specified 1400-1600 RPM. Seemed to help it some.

hgw75

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 03:32:42 PM »
So where do we get a dayco belt??????

chubbyrockstar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2009, 06:39:27 PM »
dont know which one your needing but here you go

http://www.snowcitymi.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=16_17

hgw75

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 11:29:36 PM »
Thank You ;D ;D

Oskar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2009, 04:29:06 PM »
I got the same growling at take off sometimes on my -09 500 r. also have a wisseling sounds when driving at 70 kmh and its very anoying. had it at the workshop and they rugged up the edges in the clutch, ( the sounds comes from that the gripping part of the clutch gets worn, like shined when its supposed to be a rugged surface. anyway two weeks after its been in the workshop the growling is back so i just think that the clutch is of a bad quality.
So i heard of a brand called malossi a scooter sparepart brand for tuning and found this, maybe its time for a change?? check the link!!!!

http://www.malossistore.be/Prodotto.aspx?type=M&MM=MO/KYXC500&C=5213333

I think this cluth might get our scooter a quicker take off too.. =)

winginman

• View Profile
    • Accugen DNA Service
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 01:31:23 PM »
I see 7000 miles.  Did it do this from day one or is it something that happens as things wear in?  I haven't noticed any of this noise so far.  Is it something I can expect as I hit so many miles? 
Jim
09 Kymco 500Ri (His)
04 Aprilia S500 (Hers)
01 Honda GL1800 (Ours)
DNA Paternity Testing www.accugendna.com

hgw75

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2009, 01:13:24 AM »
It was my rear break.Cleaned it up,a little nevercease on the slider pins and no more noise. Checked the belt.cleaned and dry lubed the weights,all looked good there.  ;D ;D ;D

Bryan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2009, 12:37:19 PM »
Hi There, I was wondering about the "growl" after reading the comments. Initially I never heard it coming from my scooter. Then again, my scooter was never running properly from the start. Now that they have sorted out the problem with the performance and the scooter seems to be performing the way it should, now I hear the "growl". I can hear it when pulling away and seem to think I can hear it when accelerating on the open road, at least I think it's there but hidden somewhat behind the road and wind noise. I will check and clean the rear brake and see if it helps. Generally I have had such a time with the dealer that I don't want to now go back and complain about this noise so I've decided to ride it out and see how it goes at least until the next service which is at 4000km if I can remember correctly, I'm currently on 2000km. I must say since they sorted it out it is going so well and I'm enjoying the scooter a great deal. My first test indicated about 16,5 km/L which is better than what I was getting by nearly 2 km/L and I was riding quiet hard, I'm sure this will improve even more as the motor loosens up and I learn to improve my riding skills. Regards for Durban RSA.

jan.strydom

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2009, 06:43:48 AM »
i hear it and have only done 100km - is this a problem??

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2009, 08:17:57 AM »
Hi fella's, The only input I can give is this: The STOCK multi var, and clutch are made from common stamped steel. The aftermarket (Malossi) are case hardened steel. The advantages should be obvious. The draw back is you MUST replace the multi var, AND the clutch to gain the full benefit. ANY kevlar belt you buy will not eliminate the form of the parts they are running on. Most people running the larger scoots. assume the quality is in the price tag! I can tell you the parts are the same as the smaller scoots. (to a degree) Look at the posts for the 50cc-125cc, and you will see there are more "mods" than the larger scoots. I am not trying to ride on the Interstate, But I will put my scoot against yours from light to light! The point being there are LOADS of things to improve the larger scoots. The "growl" seems to get louder on the bigger scoots. It can be fixed, but not w/ more stock parts, or a better belt! Ps. I do not work for Malossi, just like their parts...How about a Kymco 500 doing 130mph!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()