Author Topic: Plugging a tire  (Read 3658 times)

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
Plugging a tire
« on: November 26, 2012, 10:27:09 PM »
Anyone ever had a tire plug fail on them? No flats or leaks for me yet but am wondering.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

MaryK

• View Profile
Re: Plugging a tire
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 11:02:14 PM »
I would worry more when it is a scooter tire because of the small diameter of the tire.
But that is my concern.  Otherwise, I would more likely plug a rear than a front tire.
The closer to the center of the tread the better in my mind.

Scoot Safely,
New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 11:26:32 PM »
my front tire I just took it off the rim and filled the hole with seal a gasket its been holding for almost 2 years now.
that stuff is strong.

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 01:50:03 AM »
I would worry more when it is a scooter tire because of the small diameter of the tire.
But that is my concern.  Otherwise, I would more likely plug a rear than a front tire.
The closer to the center of the tread the better in my mind.

Scoot Safely,

Sorry I should have stated Scooter tire, I have plugs and patches in my car tires all the time. A plug is so much easier then taking off the rear tire of a Scoot for a leak.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 01:54:10 AM »
I have two plugs in my rear tire. Been there for a year... the other one just 2 weeks old...

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 02:26:17 AM »
plugs last for a long time if done right and you make sure the tire as the right amount of air in it all the time.

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 11:43:49 AM »
I put one in my rear well over a yr ago, still fine, never had any issues.

a plug is so much easier then taking off the rear tire of a Scoot for a leak

I had to remove my tyre to plug it ??? All plugs i saw go in from the inside out cos theyre tapered so the tyre air pressure plugs them solid?
Chaos is my co-pilot.

Zimmerman

• ---------
  • Northeastern Pennsyvania USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 01:39:39 PM »
Years ago I worked at a service station.

We would plug tires from the 'out side'

But if we pulled the tire from the wheel then we would glue a rubber patch over the hole from the inside of the tire.

Of the two the second was the better and longer lasting repair.

Though I have seen plenty of plugs work fine for a long time.
Kymco Yager GT200i
Kymco People 150
Yamaha Riva 125

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 07:58:54 PM »
I'm thinking of getting a plug kit.  I will only use it for an emergency repair then later replace the tire.   But I have had them in car tires and never had a problem.

Richard L.
Richard L. in Bellmawr
Keep The Rubber Side Down & The Helmet Side Up

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 10:18:00 PM »
its always good to have all safty gear you can think of on your scoot at all times ya never know..........

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2012, 07:58:59 AM »
Plugs work good. When they do fail it's not a sudden loss of air pressure, just a slow leak. So not much danger.

Plug a tire with pressure in it. If your kit came with a ream(any good kit does), ream the hole out good creating a rough surface the adhesive can stick to. Leave the ream in the hole to hold the air in. You want it at or above operating psi. Have your plug ready, pull the ream out and quickly push the middle of the plug in folding the plug back on itself. You'll have both ends facing out with a loop on the inside. Cut the excess and check for leaks with soapy water. That will pretty much never come out.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 08:01:55 AM by Peters »
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2012, 01:00:20 PM »
Purchase and use a product called (RIDE ON). Throw away the patch/plug kit and never worry again. :-*

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2012, 01:10:50 PM »
Sounds like good stuff
"The sealant improves the bike’s fuel efficiency, extends tire life, mutes road vibrations, and seals punctures in the tire’s crown area."

I wonder how many MPG's I'll gain?
2012 Yager GT 200I - Southern NH

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2012, 08:49:52 PM »
Call me crazy but I've been known to keep small 3/4" screws in the glove box of my car, if I geta flat I put a screw in the hole until I make it to a service station.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2012, 03:18:30 AM »
Call me crazy but I've been known to keep small 3/4" screws in the glove box of my car, if I geta flat I put a screw in the hole until I make it to a service station.

crazy....good crazy.. ;D
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 03:20:27 AM by Vivo »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()