Author Topic: Valve adjustment  (Read 5506 times)

ahonekal

• Jep Jep
    • View Profile
Valve adjustment
« on: December 08, 2012, 03:17:59 PM »
Has anyone done valve adjustment by him self? I have removed all plastic parts and looks like next step is to remove cylinder head cover. Is it easy to remove or do I have to "move" engine up or down to get cover off? I read somewhere that the cover doesnt come off easily???

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
Re: Valve adjustment
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 03:48:53 PM »
I had mine off a few weeks ago. You have to unbolt the Air tube then the 4 bolts and remove
the breather tube then it comes right off (on Yager). Do you have a picture?

I found this too"Yeah, it's easy, you just have to push down on the frame for the valve cover to come off. Some people jack up the wheel, you'll see when you go to open it up." So might be a trick to it...
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 03:58:19 PM by MotoRandy123 »
2012 Yager GT 200I - Southern NH

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 04:00:20 PM »
Yes it has to be moved up and down as you say to clear the frame tube. No big deal. So its best to have someone help you when its on the center stand, or maybe have someone sit on the bike to remove cover.  :-*

jerry2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 09:44:13 PM »
I'm curious.  At what mileage are you doing the valve adjustment?  Did the bike start dying on you or are you doing it as a preventive maintenance?

ahonekal

• Jep Jep
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Valve adjustment
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 01:18:43 PM »
I'm curious.  At what mileage are you doing the valve adjustment?  Did the bike start dying on you or are you doing it as a preventive maintenance?

20000km bike work normaly only preventive maintenance.

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 02:58:48 PM »
I bought my bike with 7,250 miles on it. It now has about 36,000. I have never adjusted them. Bike run's perfect with no valve noises.  :-*

ahonekal

• Jep Jep
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Valve adjustment
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 06:50:05 PM »
It is winter here in finland so i cannot drive, so it is good time to make maintenance. I only check valves and if they need adjustmen then i will adjust them.

ce

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 07:37:05 PM »
You'll be glad you did it when you're finished, it's not hard now that you have the plastic off.

There's a relay above the valve cover that you can unfasten and just set to the side to gain clearance for the valve cover to come off. Take all the bolts off so the cover is loose, then have someone press down heavy on the rear while you maneuver the cover out. Have the wheel on the ground and watch the engine move out of the way of the frame. You can get to both valves easy, set them both to specification. The intake valve on top will likely not need adjusting, but the exhaust valve below is the one that usually closes up. I set mine both to .004 inches.

I did my 500R at 13,000 km, and it needed a bit of adjustment. I just got a salvage 500Ri, and it is very hard to start when it's cold, and that's an indication of a closed exhaust valve. With the fuel injection it should fire right up, but it doesn't. It only has 5,000 km on it, so when it warms up outside, I'll take it apart and check it out.

The 500R starts easy and runs great with a 40 pilot jet and a 125 main jet, whch is quite a bit bigger than the stock 118 jet, but it was running too lean when I mounted a Leo Vince 4 Road exhaust. It started just fine this morning at 15 degrees Fahrenheit, and I rode to work in relative comfort behind the big Givi windshield.

I'm in New Mexico at an altitude of 5,000 feet above sea level, so we have different conditions than everyone at lower elevation.

Good luck and good scooting, the more you get to know your Xciting the more you'll love riding it.
Albuquerque, New Mexico

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 12:15:20 AM »
I thought a 120 or 122 would be more than enough with a Leo pipe, but 125 is huge?

ce

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 04:37:15 AM »
Yeah, it does seem kinda huge, but it was popping and backfiring on deccelaration, and the pipe was really dark colored like it was getting pretty hot in the summer with the 118, and it didn't seem to have as much top end. I'm pretty happy with the performance now that it's cold, I just don't open the throttle as much and it's got a nice idle and runs smooth.

It does give a single pop after I shut the engine down sometimes, and I can't figure why. I did adjust the idle mixture  a little leaner because it seemed to be popping on unburnt fuel in the muffler.

I want to try a free flow filter to see if it will run more air in the mix, but for now it's running good, and the MPG is alright, too.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 04:39:07 AM by ce »
Albuquerque, New Mexico

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 03:18:45 PM »
Someone on ebay is selling the DNA filters for $69. This filter is just like a K&N high flow filter that you clean & re-oil. It's a high price, but it's the last filter you will buy. :-*

ahonekal

• Jep Jep
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Valve adjustment
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2012, 04:50:21 PM »
Someone on ebay is selling the DNA filters for $69. This filter is just like a K&N high flow filter that you clean & re-oil. It's a high price, but it's the last filter you will buy. :-*

I already have this dna filter. ;)

ahonekal

• Jep Jep
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2012, 08:25:47 PM »
Mission accomplished! There was no gap at all in exhaust valves, set it 0,1mm. Intake valves was ok.

ce

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2012, 03:21:04 AM »
I love it when a plan comes together.

Well done, that's a pretty big job to do, but now you know how, so it's a piece of cake, well, except all the disassembly involved.

You are now an authority on 500X maintenance, so if any of you guys have trepidation about taking your scooter apart, just ask ahonekal, he is the man.

If the weather is nice, I'll open up the 500i tomorrow and check the valves, after I do my Flyscooter 150, because it won't even start.
Albuquerque, New Mexico

ahonekal

• Jep Jep
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2012, 05:41:12 AM »
Has anyone done this adjustment to 500i? What is accurate gap on ext valve?

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()