Author Topic: Whats the coldest temperature you've ever riden in?  (Read 4362 times)

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
Whats the coldest temperature you've ever riden in?
« on: December 11, 2012, 10:09:01 AM »
Its officially winter here in Scotland, snow and ice is heading in fast. I wondered whats the coldest temperature you've riden in was? Todays ride to work for me was probably one of the coldest days ive riden on, was -7°c or around 19°f but adding in the windchill it prob felt like well over -10. Was fine all wrapped up in my big coat but i had left my overmitts at work yesterday so by the time i arrived this morning i thought my thumbs had frozen solid  :D

Still be riding again tomorrow unless it snows good or its too icy on the roads.  ;D
Chaos is my co-pilot.

blue

• View Profile
Re: Whats the coldest temperature you've ever riden in?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 11:49:02 AM »
Another hard core driver thats good.I drive all year when I can the smow dont bother me its the ice that does.
It gets below O* here in the states and Ill ride if the scoot starts and I know I can stay on the road.

Go slow and play it safe stay farther away from traffic..............

Urbestfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 01:14:32 PM »
It's not the temperature as much as the length of the ride.  Usually low 20's
for 10 miles.  (10 1/2 miles I'd freeze).   No snow or Ice for me.  I'm too old
for that stuff.   Needs to be at least dry.   My most treacherous point is I live
on a business 4 lane highway with Center turn lane (45 mph).   I live up a gravel
lane,  but there is a short concrete ramp at the end of the lane that the state put
in when they did the road expansion.  If it's clear, everthing is OK.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 01:22:33 PM »
-11 C, no wind.
-8 C, very windy (40-50 mph)
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 01:49:36 PM »
..18 F for 17 miles...

..ridden many times in the low 20's...
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 01:55:50 PM »
-27°C (-17F) with bicycle 5km to school. Yepp, the old times...
-18°C (0F) with 50cc 60km to office. Already first signs of global warming! Wasn't comfortable though.
-2°C (28F) with 500cc 820km (still one way!) to hospital (just this November). But that was easy, could have gone further without undercooling.
My comfort zone is somewhere down to about -5°C (23F). I have made many 300-600km rides at this temperature.

A friend claims to have ridden in -60°C (-76F) blizzard and to refuse glooves in any (always hot or hotter) European weather. Ok, he is an Alaskian expatriate, but still I want to see this myself. I know several Russians and they like to keep warm although they can withstand low temperatures.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 02:06:44 PM by ts1 »

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 02:45:33 PM »
My comfort zone is somewhere down to about -5°C (23F).

+1
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 03:45:43 PM »
I was fine at -7°c apart from my fingers, mainly my thumbs, but if i had my overmitts on i'd have been fine. My ride is around a 1/2 hr commute each day each way, always in the dark in winter so always cold. Biggest annoyance is when the visor steams up and i have to leave it slightly cracked open to demist it, not good at 40mph.

Wont ride in the snow unless its an emergency or i have no choice, i'd sooner just call into work sick if it came to it and go boarding instead  ;D

A friend claims to have ridden in -60°C (-76F) blizzard and to refuse glooves in any (always hot or hotter) European weath

Madness. My hands would freeze within 1 mile  :o
Chaos is my co-pilot.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 04:37:37 PM »
A friend claims to have ridden in -60°C (-76F) blizzard and to refuse glooves in any (always hot or hotter) European weather. Ok, he is an Alaskian expatriate, but still I want to see this myself. I know several Russians and they like to keep warm although they can withstand low temperatures.

I have doubts about -60 C and scooters. - 60 is exaggeration in itself because that's the lowest temperature ever recorded in Alaska and I doubt he was there with his scooter to witness it.  ;D

However, a friend of mine drove his 50 cc 2stroke scooter at - 28 C in continental part of the country. Compared to that, my -11 C sounds like walking around the beach in sunny summer weather...
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 04:49:56 PM »
I have doubts about -60 C and scooters. - 60 is exaggeration in itself because that's the lowest temperature ever recorded in Alaska and I doubt he was there with his scooter to witness it.  ;D
I have doubts about the temperature too. Anyway he was riding a snowmobile. Maybe there are snowmobiles prepared for (ant)artic temperatures like dedicated aeroplanes are.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 05:10:03 PM »
I have doubts about the temperature too. Anyway he was riding a snowmobile. Maybe there are snowmobiles prepared for (ant)artic temperatures like dedicated aeroplanes are.

Or it hand shields and heated grips  :)
Chaos is my co-pilot.

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 05:33:49 PM »
Rode a bicycle at 8. F in a snow storm, loved every minute of it, wore swim goggles to see.

So far with my scoot 31 f has been as cold as I've had oportunity, check back with you later.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2012, 07:34:59 PM »
I can handle it down to about 50, yup I'm a weather weenie! It's tough to keep
my face warm, if I close the visor it steams up and open my face freezes. Remember
the wind chill factor makes it feel like 30 degrees at 50 on the bike...
2012 Yager GT 200I - Southern NH

Pimpy1

• Mo Hoes Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2012, 08:45:14 PM »
Rode my snow machine at -28f when I lived in Colorado and got up to around 60 mph at 9000 ft.  Rode my skateboard down a frozen road at -20f and nearly broke my hip.  Did not have a scooter then or I would have given it a try.
2011 Kymco Super 8 2t
2006 Kymco People 250

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2012, 09:13:41 PM »
Rode my snow machine at -28f when I lived in Colorado and got up to around 60 mph at 9000 ft.  Rode my skateboard down a frozen road at -20f and nearly broke my hip.  Did not have a scooter then or I would have given it a try.

Your dads not called Zombie is he?
Chaos is my co-pilot.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()