Author Topic: family problem  (Read 6650 times)

blue

• View Profile
family problem
« on: December 12, 2012, 05:34:22 PM »
Does any one have step kits that are over 20 and just to lazy to get off there ass and get a job.and expexctstep dad and mom to pay his bills.

skippy

• View Profile
Re: family problem
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 06:28:27 PM »
my step son is like that but only 17

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 06:59:31 PM »
...my oldest girl is 19...works every day...has own apartment....
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 07:06:48 PM »
my step son is like that but only 17

its hard to make team learn that some day they need to get a job and take care of theam self because mom and step dad cant do it for ever. I had my frist job at 15 and put my self threw school and had my frist apartment at 16 because my parents fight all the time so I got out young. Im the only one out of six kids that stayed out after leaving the nest. the other always came back to mom and dad for help.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 07:08:33 PM »
...my oldest girl is 19...works every day...has own apartment....

Thats good be happy for her and show her some love........

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 08:31:31 PM »
My boys only 15 amd i think im lucky cos so far hes ok, apart from spending every waking hour on his computer. I was a nightmare as a teen so if the worst mine does is play computer games i can live with that.

Sometimes you gotta be cruel to be kind Blue, why you and the wife stop helping him out and if he wants cash tell him you'll pay him for chores around the house and yard? He might decide its better getting a proper job just to get away from all the chores  :D
Chaos is my co-pilot.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 10:00:56 PM »
My boys only 15 amd i think im lucky cos so far hes ok, apart from spending every waking hour on his computer. I was a nightmare as a teen so if the worst mine does is play computer games i can live with that.

Sometimes you gotta be cruel to be kind Blue, why you and the wife stop helping him out and if he wants cash tell him you'll pay him for chores around the house and yard? He might decide its better getting a proper job just to get away from all the chores  :D

ha ha geting him to do anything is a pain. See he has add hd and if you piss him off he is a dangrest person he well brake things and throw nasty fits. And mom always says let him go and dont let him get mad. it gets so people are afrade of him.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 11:04:44 PM »
...thatsa tough situation. blue...you say he's over 20..

...comes a time bro, that you gotta cut the cord...

..i don't mean turn your back on him, but just stop the fringe benefits...

..i know this might sound extreme, but if you feel threatened, then maybe you guys should put him out...

..he's nearly 21...an adult, by all statutes and regulations...if he hasnt shown any self-motivation by now, chances are it's going to require extreme measures to "wake him up"

.. you're not helping him by continuing to provide and bend to his tantrums....

..by now, he feels that there's no need to make an effort as long as he can pitch a fit and get what he wants
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 11:06:51 PM by wordslinger »

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 12:39:46 AM »
...after re-reading all this, and what i just posted, blue...i dunno...

..this sounds like something that has been going on for a llonnng time..

..maybe some professional guidance might help ya'll work it thru...

..but getting junior to even see that might be a problem...

Mike Green

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 12:49:52 AM »
Blue,
What you describe is an extremely dangerous situation and can put you and your wife in possible scenarios that could impact your safety. Sit down and talk to this young man and present boundaries that you and your spouse are willing to accept. The next time, and I mean the very next time this young punk with an antisocial personality disorder goes off call the police and get a restraining order. I know this sounds extreme but I have seen situations where parents are injured and even killed. The ADD diagnosis does not give him permission to destroy your homelife.
Mike

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 12:55:26 AM »
I know this sounds extreme but I have seen situations where parents are injured and even killed. The ADD diagnosis does not give him permission to destroy your homelife.

...that is what i really wanted to say......

bleys

• Ride what you like, not what other's like.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 12:57:45 AM »
Blue,

Set limits and expectations.  If he doesn't meet them, he needs to leave.  If he threatens you, call the police.  Once he knows you are serious, he will begin to change or leave.  Don't expect him to like the changes - he won't and will react strongly in an effort to make you give up.  Make sure your wife is on board with this before you do this and present it as a united front.  Also I would be concerned about substance use (based on his behaviors), especially if he has ADHD - very high co-morbidity rate with this.  If nothing else, if he is on Adderall or Ritalin, he may be abusing this.  
I know this sounds harsh, but he has no motivation to change as what he is doing now is working for him.  Unless you want him still living at home and doing nothing at age 30, you need to start insisting on some changes.  They don't have to be radical, but he needs to at least start looking for a job and helping out at home.  Offer him the opportunity to go to college or tech school and let him stay at home as long as he is in school - you decide what you can tolerate, but don't let him dictate the terms.
Also don't pay his bills.  I assume these are car payments, insurance etc.  If he wants these, then he needs to pay himself.  This will hit home when he no longer can do these things.  In fact, consider asking him to pay some nominal rent.
I am a counselor and this is what I would recommend if you came to see me.  By the way, my stepdaughter is 22 and now lives on her own and has a good job.  She finished college at age 20.  We started talking to her at 16 that the expectation would be that when she graduated from high school, she would need to go to college or find a job in order to continue living at home.  She was also told that if she found a job, she would be expected to contribute to the household.  If she went to college, we would support her as long as her grades were good.  When she graduated and found a job, we expected her to pay her own bills and contribute to the household with chores and rent.  She decided she didn't like this after about a year and recently moved out and is doing well.  And she still loves us both.

Not meaning to preach...hope you don't take it that way.....and Good Luck!!

Bill Emerson LCDP
Bill
Pawtucket, Rhode Island
2009 Xciting 250Ri - gone :(
2014 Honda CTX700N

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2012, 01:03:10 AM »
..well put Bill...

..blue, this man laid it out from a prefessional standpoint..

..it is indeed time for a change...

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2012, 01:53:15 AM »
Thanks for all your help I just have no were to go.Me and my wife dont see eye and eye to the way he is.
we tryed kicking him out and he stayed with friends but they cant put up with his ways eather.and everytime he gets kicked out his mom lets him come back here. This time when he came back she let him bring his girl friend with him and a babby thats not his and he has a babby by another girl but yet not sure if its his. they help by her have food stapes and gov. funds But in my way of liveing I dont like it. the food they help us with dont pay the bill. mom well pay his phone bill and give him gas money. In my eyes he should be on his own or pay your own bills. everytime me and my wife fight over him. She brings up my kids. I have 2 great kids that have been working sense 15 in some way to buy what they want. I payed rent and gave my kids a place to live. When I got divorced from my frist wife. and that what she throws in my face that I payed my kids rent. My kids both worked and payed there own bill so I did not mine paying the rent tell they moved out.But it was me that moved my kids took over the rent and I moved in with the women and her kid. and then married her.at frist it was ok things were great but now its the kid tearing us apart.
Im just so mixed up its tearing me apart. I have had the police called on him a few times and he has been in jail. his mom is over protective of him. from the prefessional standpoint. he has had help with dr. but he stop going on his own and dont wana take meds.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2012, 01:55:13 AM »
All I wana do is jump on scoot and ride the hell away. But I know thats not a good thing to do........

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()