Author Topic: Dealer prep  (Read 927 times)

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Dealer prep
« on: December 16, 2012, 08:10:59 PM »
Stopped by a Memphis dealer the other day and Dear Wife went nuts over a Like 200i. Went back a couple of days later with the trailer and riding gear prepared to do a deal on a scoot marked down from $2699 to $2199. She would not ride in Memphis so I did a test ride and found the scoot to be a willing starter and decent performer even with 163 ccs and my 200+ pounds. The short test ride on a really rough street showed the bike to have a really harsh ride even though it had 12" wheels and tires similar to the Yager. I even made sure the rear shocks were on the lowest setting. I did check the oil to find it was over filled but more on that later. Sitting down  to deal revealed $300 in local taxes and $199.99 in Dealer Prep bringing the price back to about $2699. The dealer would not even consider $2500 which is not surprising. We should have considered the "hidden costs" but did not. Our bad. I brought up the 200 bucks in Dealer Prep and usually the dealer does not really do very much so at least he should get the oil level right. What else was missed? I related the story about my Yager being "Dealer Prepped" and the Florida shop sorta forgot to install the battery clamp. That took Kymco USA involvement to get the part to me and they still did not get the proper bolts for the clamp/cover. I made  the point that the Memphis dealer kinda blew his chance on his demo machine and we would not consider coughing up the difference for what would still be a good price on the Like considering the typical MSRP. Yes, this was an authorized Kymco dealer.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
Re: Dealer prep
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 10:44:51 PM »
When I bought my Yager, no one had one in stock. The dealer towards Boston told me
"Around $4000 with all the fees" , another dealer said "MSRP ($3499) + $120 document fees.
Guess who I bought it from? I couldn't do much better as I had to have them order one...
2012 Yager GT 200I - Southern NH

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 02:34:16 PM »
Thats why over here most cars and bikes etc are advertised as a "on the road" price, no hidden costs.

Sounds like a rip off to try draw in punters, get them excited and into the bike and then hope theyre bitten and will pay up the extra. Good on you for walking away. I would do the same purely out of principle.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

Dale4

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 04:38:04 PM »
  I bought an Agility for $1000,wound up costing me @ $1500.  I found a dealer in Erie PA who said I should buy my next Super8 from Him ,there are no extra costs.I called my dealer in PGH and asked if they could match the price and waive the destination fee and dealer prep and He said they would.....wonder why they charged Me all those fees in the first place...I will still make the 2 hour trip to Erie anyway for their honest business practices

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()