Author Topic: I"ve developed a rattle/ how to fix?  (Read 3319 times)

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
I"ve developed a rattle/ how to fix?
« on: December 19, 2012, 08:07:12 PM »
I've got a rattle just below the speedo, the handle bars and front fork all seem tight and don't have any play when I jerk on them etc. However when I hit a sharper type bump it rattles as if something inside the plastic housing is lose and hitting the plastic.

If I got over a slow bump or hump at any speed you don't hear the noise, it's only when the bump is sharp or jarring.

Any ideas as to what it may be, did this ever happen to you or is it a normal thing I have to live with?
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
Re: I"ve developed a rattle/ how to fix?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 09:21:26 PM »
I've have my scoot totally apart and can tell you there are some dangling connectors
here and there inside the plastic. I tye wraped as many as I found so they wouldn't
develop into rattles. I found a lot of long tye wraps that had not been cut off too!

There's a lot of stuff under that plastic!

« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 03:35:32 PM by MotoRandy123 »
2012 Yager GT 200I - Southern NH

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 10:10:52 PM »
Yhanks for the reply, however this rattle sounds fairly solid not like a wire hitting the plastic hosing. I plan on removing the housing once I get the chance just to make sure all nuts and bolts are tight, thanks for the reassurance.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 10:55:00 PM »
Sounds like Randy says, prob a plastic wiring connector or a relay or something either hanging loose or its may have come loose. Wouldnt be too concerned.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 12:37:21 AM »
..yeah, you MIGHT find the culprit...

..probably just need to learn to live with it....

..nina was tight as a tick when i first got her...

..rattles, buzzes and creaks some now...
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 12:42:58 AM »
...and if you do start removing tupperware, be gentle...

..those little tabs will snap off fairly easily...

..and be careful to not over-torque the fasteners when reassembling...

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 01:41:03 AM »
Those are just loose screws inside the panels.... been there, done that... re-tightening....

they loosen in time due to vibrations...

griffon_j9

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 01:03:39 AM »
I've got a rattle just below the speedo, the handle bars and front fork all seem tight and don't have any play when I jerk on them etc. However when I hit a sharper type bump it rattles as if something inside the plastic housing is lose and hitting the plastic.

If I got over a slow bump or hump at any speed you don't hear the noise, it's only when the bump is sharp or jarring.

Any ideas as to what it may be, did this ever happen to you or is it a normal thing I have to live with?

I am sorry..... but my mind went in so many wronnnngggg places when I read this that I do not think I will sleep well tonight..... >_<  lol!   Should you ask this same question on the web MD forum? ^_^;;

sorry again could not resist  :P ::)
2010 Red Xciting 500RI  51 MPG so far

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 01:36:10 AM »

I am sorry..... but my mind went in so many wronnnngggg places when I read this that I do not think I will sleep well tonight..... >_<  lol!   Should you ask this same question on the web MD forum? ^_^;;

sorry again could not resist  :P ::)

We know know how old you are or think at least, this is a scooter forum I assumed most (as shown) would understand where I was going, you filthy minded scooter owner you. :)

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2012, 02:16:15 AM »
I've got a rattle just below the speedo

...lmao....now i get it!!

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2012, 03:34:34 AM »

I am sorry..... but my mind went in so many wronnnngggg places when I read this that I do not think I will sleep well tonight..... >_<  lol!   Should you ask this same question on the web MD forum? ^_^;;

sorry again could not resist  :P ::)

bad bad griffon.....   ;D

« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 03:43:24 AM by Vivo »

griffon_j9

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2012, 04:14:28 AM »
Ha ha ha vivo

lucky for me I am still in the sex and money phase!  (and it seems to go for a while too, according to that pic! ha ha)

Though I do not think I could talk so freely about how tight my front fork and handle bar is while jerking on them !>_<

anyway sorry I could not help you other wise 08087 do not have that problem yet... on my bike I mean.... well or otherwise....

if you should develop rattles just below your speedo then you are probably not wearing them right >_<

ok talk later and take care all!

ohhh and always take the bump and hump slow your parts will last longer that way!!  ;D :D

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2012, 09:25:03 AM »
right on griff!... ;)

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2012, 09:17:09 PM »
Ha ha ha vivo

lucky for me I am still in the sex and money phase!  (and it seems to go for a while too, according to that pic! ha ha)

When I read this quick I thought you said, "Sex "FOR" money phase", I thought Oh biy this ones a classic!

griffon_j9

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2012, 10:44:09 PM »
you know, when you got a commodity go with it

not to make ya jealous or anything!  :D :o ::)

P.S. NOT really me

LOL

But realllyyyy make sure you have no rattles below your speedo when some one else could jerk on your front fork and or handle bar!

and who says I am not talking about a scooter???

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()