Author Topic: keihin pe20  (Read 2180 times)

JC

• View Profile
keihin pe20
« on: December 20, 2012, 03:16:35 PM »
Has anyone tried this carb on an a50. I've used the pc20 on scoots with good results. I've heard these are pretty easy to tune. Thoughts????

blue

• View Profile
Re: keihin pe20
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 02:23:06 AM »
are you talking about a 20 mm carb. If so ya they work nicely. you get better take off. then you would with a 18 mm or a 19mm.

mono

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 09:13:18 AM »

The PE20 is not a CV carb, so I would expect them to be easier to tune indeed.
Also, slide carbs are _said_ to have a quicker throttle response than CV carbs...

In my experience, the tiny difference in throttle response time (if any) can only be relevant for manual shifty bikes, where you have to open/close the throttle lots of times to get somewhere, not for our "just twist and go" automatics...

And, I also think that the advantages of a CV carb are worth the extra bit of effort for learning how to tune and maintain them. To be honest, I think that people who can't get a CV carb setup right would also struggle with a regular slide carb, unless they're just lucky... The simpler construction of a slide carb increases chances of getting it right accidentally, I think that's one of the reasons they're so popular...

Another thing to consider is the way the throttle cable is installed... It comes out of the top of the carb, and since it can only bend so tight and you need to allow for some headroom because of the rear shock compressing, you'd probably better forget about using the underseat storage for anything else than the throttle cable with these carbs...

Personally, I would look for a 20mm CV carb instead...

Just my thoughts...

JC

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 02:16:23 PM »
Good replies. I'm not worrying about tuning the cv carb. I've dialed in both types before with few problems. I wondered if anyone had used that particular carb on their a50 to see performance results. I found that the pc20 was night and day as far as performance over my cvk carb on my other scoot and was fun to tune as well.

Mono, you bring up a great and heartbreaking point for me. I use my underseat storage to the brim so I'm going to have to look if there is a way to route a slide cable other than thru the storage area.

Another advantage to a slide carb to a cv is you don't have to worry about the autochoke going bad or not working which some people have had problems with on some bikes. The price is good for a genuine keihin and if I can find a way to route the cable I may buy for "research" purposes  :D

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 12:16:39 AM »
Let us know how it gos.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 02:25:57 AM »
...will it work with the intake...

nope..dont think...have to adapt one...

..that could get you the extra slide room...
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 02:27:05 AM »
...that's actually a pretty cool project...

...ive never put a slide onna 4t...hmmmm...

..i can say that my 08 LOVED the 20mm cvk i had on it...
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 02:29:24 AM by wordslinger »
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()