Author Topic: Wind and wind gusts  (Read 2382 times)

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
Wind and wind gusts
« on: December 21, 2012, 06:45:25 PM »
I was riding home the other night and it got pretty windy, we had gusts in the 30 MPH range, riding in a cross wind is one thing it's another when a gust come out of know where and slams into you broadside.

So what's the windiest conditions you feel safe in and what's the worst you've ever been caught in?

If the rain holds up I'm riding in today with winds over 30 MPH once again, call me crazy but I'll be careful.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
Re: Wind and wind gusts
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 08:37:03 PM »
Since my daily ride is thro town the wind doesnt really put me off riding. The buildings block a lot of the cross winds so its not so bad for me, think the worst so far was gale force of around 70mph gusts. Wouldnt ride in open country in winds like that tho, not on a scoot anyway. I just slow down when i get to an open bit of road and watch for gusts between buildings and at junctions.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 10:21:09 PM »
I'm waiting to hear from Axy, I bet he's ridden through gail forced winds up hill both way to and from the North Pole bring gifts for Santa.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 12:29:56 AM »
Thursday night (12/20)'s commute home from work was one of the worst wind conditions I've ridden in. I was riding mainly west, with 25-45MPH winds from the south. I've ridden in higher winds on the People 250, but it felt about the same on the lighter Honda, last night.

griffon_j9

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 12:54:17 AM »
Not sure how fast the wind was, but when I had the grandvisita I was riding west near lake Eire in Cleveland highway 2 and a gale came off the lake while I was doing 70 mph.....   I had never leaned over so far to counter the wind in my life (and I was still a new rider at the time)..... and to top things off the wind was blowing me into a semi that was passing me! If I was not trying to save my life I think I could of touched the trailer of the damn truck! >_< ... needed a change of shorts after that one!!

since I have the xciting 500 have not had any where near that type of problems (but still very aware of wind gust!)

that was my experience with wind!

2010 Red Xciting 500RI  51 MPG so far

MaryK

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 02:38:49 PM »
Thursday night (12/20)'s commute home from work was one of the worst wind conditions I've ridden in. I was riding mainly west, with 25-45MPH winds from the south. I've ridden in higher winds on the People 250, but it felt about the same on the lighter Honda, last night.

Since you have both a PCX and a 250cc scooter, you may be in position to compare the 2 scooters.
I have a GV250 and have considered replacing it with a PCX150 since I seldom get on the highway.
How do you rate them for street riding ? and other comments.

Merry Christmas,
New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 04:09:33 PM »
Since you have both a PCX and a 250cc scooter, you may be in position to compare the 2 scooters.
I have a GV250 and have considered replacing it with a PCX150 since I seldom get on the highway.
How do you rate them for street riding ? and other comments.

Merry Christmas,

The PCX is lighter, quieter and has a lot less vibration than the People 250. Wheel size going from 16" to 14" seems negligible. I don't notice a whole lot of riding difference in town with them, other than the fact that the PCX has a drum brake in the rear, which if you've not ridden such a configuration, you'll want to test that out. The drum brakes aren't as grippy, of course, and in wet weather, they tend to squeak and grab a bit. If on the GV, you have times when you barely use the front brake, you'll have to learn to use it more with the PCX.

Also, on the PCX, the position of the controls for the horn and turn signals are reversed from the GV (and most other bikes). This also takes some getting used to.

You'd enjoy the lighting and the fuel economy on the PCX. I've got 6500 miles on mine, now, and am just now having to consider a new rear tire. The maintenance schedule is also economical -- 5000 miles between oil changes.

de-dee

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 04:57:13 PM »
driving a 300i DT. I found that driving slow 30 to 45 mph. wind pushed me a lot but as I speeded up to 60 mph. not so much,    I do keep to the center of the road when windy, and I try not to lean to far to counter the wind , be cause if the wind stops or reverses you go in a quick turn,

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 09:10:43 PM »
Drove home last night with temps around freezing and wind gusts to 50 MPH, lucky for me mostly at my back but a few changes did push me around a bit, lucky that traffic at 10:30 PM isn't too heavy on my commute route.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2012, 11:22:32 PM »
...we had sustained 20-30 mph yesterday, with 40+ gusts...

:-\

..it's those gusts that'll push you around...

..imma avid weather watcher since i began riding scoots..

..y' just gotta be prepared to counter-act what th wind does..

..stay alert..watch for leaves or debris being blown about..

..know that when you come into a wide open area, that the winds are likely going to be higher...
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()