Author Topic: LEARNING CURVE  (Read 8844 times)

Mike Green

• View Profile
LEARNING CURVE
« on: December 24, 2012, 03:16:28 AM »
Learning CCuuurrrrvvvvveeeeee!?!?!?!
Back in the fall of 2011 I made the decision to buy a maxiscooter. After 2 back surgeries my Neurosurgeon told me that if I continued to ride horses I would end up in a wheelchair.(I still have 2 of my beloved horses. I call them "Pasture Candy".) and I picked the maxiscooter because my left leg does'nt move when I ask it to so gear changes on a motorcycle were out. Had my eye on the Burgie 650 but the Suzuki dealer told me they had sold the last one and would not be getting any more in this year. I had loooked at the Honda dealer across the street and was also considering a new Silverwing or Majesty 400 but when the Suzi dealer showed me the Xciting 500Ri it was love at first paycheck. I could not believe the price and the value. Went home and got online and could find nothing but praise for Kymco products. So I went back the next day and closed the deal for a brand new maxiscoot for $5600. Down from $6200. The learning curve began with you guys. I would start a post about not being able to make right turns and Vivo would teach me how to "trust my left side" and it worked! The more I tried the more proficient I became and the less I dropped my scooter. At this same time of learning how to ride my wife witnessed all the falls and the scraped knees and elbows. She told me that everytime I left the house on the scooter she was a nervous wreck and then one night I did not come home... until very late assisted by 2 very kind, as Vivo calls them "My road angels" And I think everyone knows the story... the deer ran in front of me and I was nailed... broken ribs, knees, foot etc. So, if I wanted to ride I could buy a kit and convert the Xciting into a trike, or buy a Can Am Spyder. A 3 wheeled MC coming out of Canada, getting good reviews. However, The resemblance ended with the Right hand grip...the throttle. All brakes are controlled by a single foot brake. The transmission is a semi-automatic 5 speed...SE5. You have a small paddle on the Left hand grip and to change gears when you get to the correct RPM you manually push the + button or when the RPM's drop to 2500 or below like coming to a stop sign the engine will start downshifting on it's own or if you remember you can manually pull the + button towards you and if the RPM's are low enough you can maually downshift. Did I mention that this 3-wheeled monster had the 2 wheels in front and a large wheel in the rear connected by a drive belt. This bad-boy also has a 998cc Rotax engine with 106 horse power and a top speed of 200 mph. So once again I'm trying to learn on something that is too big and powerfull for me. I will keep you guys informed of my misadventures and smart moves too like ATGATT and the MSF course next month. But here I go again. Merry Christmas
Mike 

Vivo

• View Profile
Re: LEARNING CURVE
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 03:48:32 AM »
Mike, at 200mph, you'll be home before any deer can even think of crossing the road.... ;D ;D ;D That's positive thinking!!!  ;)

Mike Green

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 04:17:11 AM »
Vivo,
Remember when you taught me about trusting my Left side and that the problem was not a right turn but in my head because my dominant side was my right side and I would not trust my Left side to get me through the turn? I became so arogant and told you I did'nt need your lectures on human neuropathology!? I was eminantly qualified to figure it out myself, you and Zombie let me have it! and Ce called me an ass hole! and I was! I have learned so much from this forum. I still think Word's Blue Monkey's eyes can induce psychotic symptoms! I'm glad he took that thing done. And where's Syl? and I never see anything from Old Geezer anymore? Mr. 08 is still around.
He is still very mentally stimulating but seems to have his anger issues under control which I miss. You know this is a very therapeutic and Zen-like group of guys and occasional girly. I miss my XC500Ri
Mike

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 01:22:01 PM »
Mike I've got to ask, why such a  big and powerful bike/trike? at almost 1 liter you've got twice as much under butt as you did before. I know the extra wheel will take slightly more to push but an extra 500cc?

I'm no expert but I'm almost positive the CanAm comes in a smaller size I thought 300 and 500. Don't misunderstand me here I think the 1,000 cc is great, you'll be able to cruise at any speed you wish and the eng will relax at idle speed even on the highway.

My Toyota only has about 120HP and does way over 100MPH.

Here is my tip to you, don't forget to up shift, that engine may so quiet and refined that you won't hear the growl and over rev her.

About those anger issues of mine, wait until Axy spouts off about something again and you'll see my rage once more. (Sorry Axy, your just an easy target).

Enjoy the new ride, say hello to the Mrs. for us, we like that she takes care of you.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 01:48:04 PM »
About those anger issues of mine, wait until Axy spouts off about something again and you'll see my rage once more. (Sorry Axy, your just an easy target).

Well, honestly, if you get enraged so easily, then you are easy target, not me. Ponder it a bit.

Mike, your trike does not have top speed of 200 mph, more like 110-115 mph.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 05:54:26 PM »
Well, honestly, if you get enraged so easily, then you are easy target, not me. Ponder it a bit.

Mike, your trike does not have top speed of 200 mph, more like 110-115 mph.

I found the 13 model says gov limited to 110 MPH and a 12 model from the UK limited at 125 MPH

26 MPG or so.

Enraged, who said anything about ENRAGED, that's your word not mine, I said ANGER and that's even a joke.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 06:06:39 PM »
I found the 13 model says gov limited to 110 MPH and a 12 model from the UK limited at 125 MPH

26 MPG or so.

Enraged, who said anything about ENRAGED, that's your word not mine, I said ANGER and that's even a joke.

Now you seem to be angry again.
You should work on that.
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

ce

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 06:37:32 PM »
I feel better about you going 100 miles an hour on the Can Am, Mike, so find a good stretch of open highway when there's no cops around and light traffic on a warm sunny day, and get it under your belt.

I've had the 500 X up to 160 kilometers an hour, and couldn't catch up to my son on the Silverwing, but it was like flying an airplane without a cockpit, or any wings, and only about a couple of inches of the wheels touching the ground.

Now I'm not even curious how it feels to go faster, unless I actually get an airplane.
Albuquerque, New Mexico

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 07:36:03 PM »
I feel better about you going 100 miles an hour on the Can Am, Mike, so find a good stretch of open highway when there's no cops around and light traffic on a warm sunny day, and get it under your belt.

I've had the 500 X up to 160 kilometers an hour, and couldn't catch up to my son on the Silverwing, but it was like flying an airplane without a cockpit, or any wings, and only about a couple of inches of the wheels touching the ground.

Now I'm not even curious how it feels to go faster, unless I actually get an airplane.

Scoots, as I said many times, use low quality components and their setup is not well suited for high speeds. Don't know about extremes like Gilera GP800 etc, I guess they could be slightly better, but your average <650 cc scoot is close to pure crap when it comes to performance.

Sport touring bikes are actually quite comfortable at high speed on highways. 130-140 hp bike feels quite safe under low traffic conditions at 220-240 km/h.

I would compare 240 km/h on a sports tourer to 100 km/h on my People 250S. I have tried also 295 km/h on Honda CBR 1000RR, but only once, not on my bike, it is not that much different than 240...

p.s. Of course, 240 km/h is quite high speed and better don't use brakes too much or lean too much and better judge well in advance if that next mild left hander on a highway has to be taken at 210 km/h or 220 km/h.  ;D :D :)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 11:20:11 AM by axy »
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

bleys

• Ride what you like, not what other's like.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2012, 10:19:46 PM »
Mike,

Sounds like you are already enjoying your new ride.  I'm happy that it is a positive experience for you so far.  Remember, it doesn't matter what you ride, it only matters that you ride.  Merry Christmas, Mike.
Bill
Pawtucket, Rhode Island
2009 Xciting 250Ri - gone :(
2014 Honda CTX700N

Mike Green

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2012, 12:45:48 AM »
Wow Axy;
Thanks for that little moment of reality testing. Just because the speedometer max's out at 200 mph does not mean it will go 200 mph. Thanks for correcting me on that. Who knows, I may have been riding around at 200 mph without your intervening for me. Actually the quote was from one of the bike rags on remarks about how easy it is to get a stock Spyder up to 200 mph with only some simple mods like a Hindle exhaust and manifold and a KLN cold air induction system and a few other low cost upgrades but you are so correct; my trike does not go 200 mph and I am sorry if I was dishonest in the claims. I quess I was just a little too enthusiastic about my new sweet heart. 08, almost all of us with passive-aggressive tendencies see rage issues in others... not ourselves. You are doing great! Don't let this anal-retentive Serb get your goat, he's too much fun. Merry Christmas one and all,
Mike

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2012, 11:25:22 AM »
Wow Axy;
Thanks for that little moment of reality testing. Just because the speedometer max's out at 200 mph does not mean it will go 200 mph. Thanks for correcting me on that. Who knows, I may have been riding around at 200 mph without your intervening for me.

We wouldn't want something to happen to you, otherwise wifey the dearest might get a rash again.

Actually the quote was from one of the bike rags on remarks about how easy it is to get a stock Spyder up to 200 mph with only some simple mods like a Hindle exhaust and manifold and a KLN cold air induction system

Actually, it has 106 hp. This vehicle would need around 300 hp to reach 200 mph.
So, better wake up and account for laws of physics. No exhaust, manifold and cold air induction system can triple the power output. Not even with fairy dust sprinkled all over.

Don't let this anal-retentive Serb get your goat, he's too much fun. Merry Christmas one and all,
Mike

I wonder how tiny brain one should have to bring "nation" argument as something significant, after claiming stupid things like 200 mph with 106 hp vehicle on an online scooter forum? Especially when you probably wouldn't know to point Serbia on a map - not that I have anything against Serbs, but it is a different country than the one where I live, you butthurt Mexican. (!)

Anyway, better check on wifey, is she hyperventilating?
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 11:30:31 AM by axy »
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2012, 12:27:13 PM »
I'm not sure how doing 150 MPH on one bike is like doing 62 MPH on another unless the Kymco was falling apart but your the expert (self proclaimed).

Mike the Serb (LOL) doesn't get under my skin, I find him to be humorous (Hey Serb, that means funny).

For the record I can find you on a map cause mine has the little names written all over it.

And last I mention it takes a real dud to poke fun at a man's wife and her medical condition, someone owes someone here an apology (but I doubt he's man enough to "man up").
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 01:34:27 PM by 08087 »

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2012, 12:34:45 PM »
I'm not sure how doing 150 MPH on one bike is like doing 62 MPH on another unless the Kymco was falling apart but your the expert (self proclaimed).

Mike the Serb (LOL) doesn't get under my skin, I find him to be humorous (Hey Serb, that means funny).

For the record I can find you on a map cause mine has the little names written all over it.

And last I mention it takes a real dud to poke fun at a man's wife and her medical condition, someone owes someone here an apology (but I doubt he's man enough to "man up").

I would suggest to both of you to check blood pressure AND good/bad cholesterol ratio.
It can be downright dangerous to have high blood pressure and unfavorable HDL/LDL ratio for senior citizens. Compounded with anger issues and low threshold of anxiety response, it can lead to serious heart and brain problems.

---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2012, 01:22:26 PM »
(OT:
War is the US way of practising geography. How can you expect the actual generation to find Croatia or Serbia?)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()