Author Topic: LEARNING CURVE  (Read 8842 times)

axy

• View Profile
Re: LEARNING CURVE
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2012, 12:59:51 PM »
Axy, you'd be speaking German exclusively and by force not by choice, what you seem to over look is that if everyone of our States spoke another language we'd never have commerace as we do, you need somethig to unify you, think EU trying to model after the US.

"Commerace" is not a word in English language, you probably wanted to say "commeraderie".

C'mon, do you really think people are stupid? Trying to sell this story, with all the poverty, ghettos and crime in the USA?

It might sound strange, but in most European countries, you can freely go to EVERY SQUARE INCH of territory any time of the day, without fearing for your life or property. There are no gangs, no ghettos. As most Americans you have never visited any other country so this probably sounds completely incomprehensible to you.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2012, 01:12:59 PM »
Axy, you'd be speaking German exclusively and by force not by choice..
Nonsense! I.e. one of my grand fathers was corpsman in the Wehrmacht and did learn modern languages like French and Russian, but could read/write Old Greek and Sanskrit too.
Education (classic skills like languages, literature, music, ...) was much more enforced than today.
Official language in the Wehrmacht though was only German.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2012, 01:58:43 PM »
Nonsense! I.e. one of my grand fathers was corpsman in the Wehrmacht and did learn modern languages like French and Russian, but could read/write Old Greek and Sanskrit too.
Education (classic skills like languages, literature, music, ...) was much more enforced than today.
Official language in the Wehrmacht though was only German.

Was he a member of Legion Freies Indien / Indisches Infanterie Regiment ?
If so, Jesus, poor guy surely did see the world!!!

At a certain point during the war, there was an idea to recruit Muslim Indians into 13. SS-Freiwilligen-b.h. Gebirgs-Division (I know that I am talking about SS and you about Wehrmacht and I know the differences), but they gave up because Indian Muslims considered themselves to be Indian and had little similarities with Bosnian Muslims, so the idea was abandoned and they recruited only Bosnian Muslims into that division. Certainly not a proud episode for my country (that was Nazi collaborator in WW II, and on the other hand, partisan movement that liberated he whole country of Nazis and Italian fascists without American or Russian help).
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 03:38:53 PM by axy »
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2012, 03:14:24 PM »
Was he a member of Legion Freies Indien / Indisches Infanterie Regiment ?
No, he belonged to the German part of my family. The Indian members engaged (somewhat, after family and work) at home against the British occupying force. I have no "war heros" in my family, just medics, tradesman & co.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2012, 03:38:18 PM »
No, he belonged to the German part of my family. The Indian members engaged (somewhat, after family and work) at home against the British occupying force. I have no "war heros" in my family, just medics, tradesman & co.

;D I thought you were 100 % Indian. Anyway, WWII history is sort of an interest of mine.
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2012, 05:05:10 PM »
The word I mis spelled is "Commerce", you see this is not a forum on spelling so get past it.

Like those that can't see the end of the nose on their face I've been to Germany 3 times, Brazil, Peru 3 times, England, Holland, Austria, Spain, Canada, Mexico, Venezuela, and many many States within my home country, one which makes yours pale in comparison. Remember for us visiting New York is akin to you going into Serbia, me going into Ohio is like you going into Germany and so on. When I go to California (3000 miles) where would that take you?

And I doubt that Hitler would have allowed multiple languages if he had won the war.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2012, 05:27:04 PM »
Like those that can't see the end of the nose on their face I've been to Germany 3 times, Brazil, Peru 3 times, England, Holland, Austria, Spain, Canada, Mexico, Venezuela, and many many States within my home country, one which makes yours pale in comparison. Remember for us visiting New York is akin to you going into Serbia, me going into Ohio is like you going into Germany and so on.

I am well aware of that. In fact, if I sit in my car, in the next 40 miles I will cross from Croatia through Slovenia, and from there into Italy. If I go north, in 250 kms I will go through Slovenia and reach Austria. 200 kms to the east, and I am in Bosnia, 600 kms to the east, I can be in Montenegro, Serbia, Albania, Macedonia...

If Hitler had won the war in Europe, Japan would win it on the Far East and Italy in the North Africa. In that case of parallel history, don't think it is impossible that Pentagon would be Swastikon. It is better that it did not happen.

I am not even trying to compare countries as it is impossible. USA has seven times more people on welfare than entire population of my country. My country is nothing but a dot on the map.
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2012, 06:01:34 PM »
USA has seven times more people on welfare than entire population of my country. My country is nothing but a dot on the map.

Good now that you seem to have come down to earth I'll make this concession. The US is being destroyed on purpose, those in charge, the families that hold control over industry are killing off the people by limiting the access to good paying jobs and offering free stuff as an alternative. This with poor work habits will sit back and vote themselves free stuff more and more until it bankrupts a nation, the US is a prime example of this.

One reason I am as traveled as I am is that I am always looking for alternative places to hang my hat. South Africa before the demise of Apartheid was a good spot as they bucked the trend but paid for it dearly, now you couldn't pay me to vacation there again. Mexico and Peru SA are my next best bets.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2012, 06:14:02 PM »
"e author=08087 link=topic=8291.msg91203#msg91203 date=1356544894]
Good now that you seem to have come down to earth I'll make this concession. The US is being destroyed on purpose, those in charge, the families that hold control over industry are killing off the people by limiting the access to good paying jobs and offering free stuff as an alternative. This with poor work habits will sit back and vote themselves free stuff more and more until it bankrupts a nation, the US is a prime example of this.

One reason I am as traveled as I am is that I am always looking for alternative places to hang my hat. South Africa before the demise of Apartheid was a good spot as they bucked the trend but paid for it dearly, now you couldn't pay me to vacation there again. Mexico and Peru SA are my next best bets.

[/quote]"

Don't know about Mexico, and it was already discussed here, but in places where heads are being regularly cut with chainsaws, I would not "hang my hat".
One can say that it is not like that all over Mexico but only in some areas, but several times over the last decade narco mafia almost took over control of entire regions in Mexico. Relocated gringo (equals money) is a clear target.

Did you do your homework and check locations worldwide? As a foreigner, you want the procedure of moving to be seamless. Did you check for example, Montenegro or Slovenia as potential destinations?
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2012, 07:46:36 PM »
"e author=08087 link=topic=8291.msg91203#msg91203 date=1356544894]

"

Don't know about Mexico, and it was already discussed here, but in places where heads are being regularly cut with chainsaws, I would not "hang my hat".
One can say that it is not like that all over Mexico but only in some areas, but several times over the last decade narco mafia almost took over control of entire regions in Mexico. Relocated gringo (equals money) is a clear target.

Did you do your homework and check locations worldwide? As a foreigner, you want the procedure of moving to be seamless. Did you check for example, Montenegro or Slovenia as potential destinations?

As you said Mexico is a big place and the trouble they are having isn't country wide but it does give reason to pause. On the plus side they have areas of great weather good medical care and a relaxed way of life that I'd gravitate towards. Peru is the obvious choice for us as my wife was borh in Peru and came to the States as a little girl, this would only be if the crap hit the fan though. but with family there some knowledge of Spanish on my part and my wife being legal it has a bunch going for it as far as being seemless. I've looked into your part of the world but in the last century it has been unstable (with the exception of recent history) I/we don't speak the language and at 50 I could learn but I doubt I'd become good at it, hell I can't even pell in English. Also with your economy doing so well the area we'd want to be (the south west/on the water) is expensive even by my standards. we love Germany for it's history but that won't happen either.

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2012, 09:00:16 PM »
South Africa before the demise of Apartheid was a good spot as they bucked the trend 

Thats one way of putting it  ::)

Having lived in South Africa post aparteid i can say it is a great country full of great people and is far far better off now than it ever was under apartied. Yes its far from perfect and has its problems but its still in transition right now. The biggest problem there right now is still the ingrained racist attitudes of many (of both colours) and the self-rightous feeling of entilement and privilage the white, mostly Afrikanners, have. I never met a bad or nasty black person while i was there but i met plenty of white ones.

I'll let you all get back to the original arguement now  ;D
Chaos is my co-pilot.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2012, 09:07:39 PM »
I'll let you all get back to the original arguement now  ;D

Let me see if I can remember some Scottish dialect learned from my coworker... "Just havin' a bit of fun with them nippety numpties."

Does this sound OK?  ;D
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2012, 09:11:27 PM »
Let me see if I can remember some Scottish dialect learned from my coworker... "Just havin' a bit of fun with them nippety numpties."

Does this sound OK?  ;D

Eejits or numpties are local terms used in Glasgow. We have many others to choose from  :D
Chaos is my co-pilot.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2012, 09:14:36 PM »
As you said Mexico is a big place and the trouble they are having isn't country wide but it does give reason to pause. On the plus side they have areas of great weather good medical care and a relaxed way of life that I'd gravitate towards. Peru is the obvious choice for us as my wife was borh in Peru and came to the States as a little girl, this would only be if the crap hit the fan though. but with family there some knowledge of Spanish on my part and my wife being legal it has a bunch going for it as far as being seemless. I've looked into your part of the world but in the last century it has been unstable (with the exception of recent history) I/we don't speak the language and at 50 I could learn but I doubt I'd become good at it, hell I can't even pell in English. Also with your economy doing so well the area we'd want to be (the south west/on the water) is expensive even by my standards. we love Germany for it's history but that won't happen either.

Everything has been unstable in the last century, you shouldn't worry about that unless you plan to live forever.  ;D

Yes, it is very expensive here. Average 200-250 m2 house would set you back at least 350.000$ up... average 3-room appartment, 100 m2, at least 250.000$. Cars and bikes, multiply 'murrican prices by factor two. Income tax is 40 %, VAT 25 %, mandatory health contribution 15 %, mandatory pension contribution 20 %.

I doubt that at this moment there is a safe and cheap place on the planet. Usually you can choose between those two categories.

Yet, in the 80s, we used to watch SciFi movies on VHS cassettes about totalitarian governments. And look at this now... http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/dec/21/coming-drone-attack-america?INTCMP=SRCH

We are usually a year or two behind, as soon as they are deployed there, we will have them over here. The same happened with video surveillance...
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 09:17:33 PM by axy »
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2012, 09:16:27 PM »
Eejits or numpties are local terms used in Glasgow. We have many others to choose from  :D

Well, he IS from Glasgow.  ;D
And he CAN DRINK, trust me.  ;D
There was another coworker of ours with whom he had a particular grudge and used to call him NUMPTIHEAD all the time.  ;D
I could not pronounce that word in a way he does...
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()