Author Topic: Starting problems (Kick and Electric) - Possibly due to the weather  (Read 9663 times)

Bradders2125

• 2010 Agility 50
    • View Profile
Hi guys,
  So all was well in scooterville until it started getting cold and wet. On nice days it will kick start no problem, as soon as its wet and/or slightly cold, I'm lucky if it will start after 10 minutes kicking.

The electric start has been playing up for a while due to the top cable always falling off, but now the tab it pushes onto has snapped off, but there is just enough for it to work if i hold it in the right place. But once the starter is usable it doesn't always engage and sometimes makes a lovely grinding sound. I have to tap the ignition button until i get the right noise.

Any help with those problems would be great.

Aside from needing help with the starting, I'm also putting together a parts list ready to start buying on my next payday, while also trying to find UK based retailers for them, got a couple I've used before.

The list so far is:-
New rollers,
Starter Motor,
Spark Plug,
Fuel Filter,
Oil Sump Plug - mine is damaged but still holding oil.

Thanks

Brads

blue

• View Profile
Re: Starting problems (Kick and Electric) - Possibly due to the weather
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 03:23:05 AM »
befor buying the starter motor check the gears in side the kick start make sure all the teeth are good and clean theam good. It might need a good cleaning if the teeh are missing all you might need is the gears.And if the wires are not staying on you can fix that buy adding a new wire plug.

JC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 02:25:55 PM »
As far as parts I know racingplanetusa has all the parts you mentioned. I believe they ship to the UK. Also if you do indeed replace the starter motor, I would suggest buying the heavy duty starter motor if the funds allow it. Especially if you're going to be riding in the cold and wet weather

Bradders2125

• 2010 Agility 50
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 04:00:28 PM »
befor buying the starter motor check the gears in side the kick start make sure all the teeth are good and clean theam good. It might need a good cleaning if the teeh are missing all you might need is the gears.And if the wires are not staying on you can fix that buy adding a new wire plug.

The connector is the male part on the starter motor, If the teeth are good I could probably solder a wire on the tab and then crimp a male connector onto that.

As far as parts I know racingplanetusa has all the parts you mentioned. I believe they ship to the UK. Also if you do indeed replace the starter motor, I would suggest buying the heavy duty starter motor if the funds allow it. Especially if you're going to be riding in the cold and wet weather

I will take a look on there now and see what it comes to.

Cheers

Brads

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 09:41:52 PM »
This place has some stock parts http://www.chinesemotorcyclepartsonline.co.uk/bikes_AGILITY50.php

Or any kymco/yamaha dealer will be able to get parts but theyrr usually more expensive.

Or ebay or theres loads of uk shops online like pedparts or adrenalin pedstop, or sip in Germany.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 10:44:17 PM »
The connector is the male part on the starter motor, If the teeth are good I could probably solder a wire on the tab and then crimp a male connector onto that.

Mine came apart on me and I had to almost rewire the whole scoot. check as many wire parts you can. they do get bad.

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 01:54:22 PM »
The grinding must be the "bendex" type thing that engages the started gear.
It sits behind the variator and comes out from that side. You could take it out
 and grease it (and look to see if any teeth are munched).

2012 Yager GT 200I - Southern NH

Bradders2125

• 2010 Agility 50
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 03:33:47 PM »
Took her apart and changed spark plug to the original one, which has half the mileage of the newer one. Everything seemed ok, some wear and tear on some parts. Rollers had a small flat spot but seemed in good condition.

How easy is it to remove all the kick start gears from the case, want to check them over but can't get an adequate view while they are attached.

Mine came apart on me and I had to almost rewire the whole scoot. check as many wire parts you can. they do get bad.

My cable has always seemed an inch or 2 short, so over time where its been pushed on again the male part got bent and eventually broke. On the plus side there seems to be plenty of room to solder a piece of cable on, once I've cleaned it and can see metal. Also the splines on the shaft seem a little bent and worn, and there was some black powder around it.

The grinding must be the "bendex" type thing that engages the started gear.
It sits behind the variator and comes out from that side. You could take it out
 and grease it (and look to see if any teeth are munched).

I was going to add a dab of grease but then remembered people saying don't put grease near the belt. The teeth looked good.

Thanks

Brads

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 07:58:42 PM »
There's some tips on getting the kickstarter apart (and back together again) in this thread;
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=8173.0;topicseen

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 11:38:37 AM »
You can put a small dab of grease in the hole on the outer case where the bendix goes into. Sounds like maybe the bedix is not always releasing as it should. I take it you do still have the rubber seal fitted between the cvt cover and the case? If not this can affect how the starter works due to the spacing. May even be a bad bendix.

If you get a tin of electrical circuit board cleaner or degreaser and use the small straw attatchement you can normally just use that to clean out the starter gears/kickstart without disassembling it all. Just re-oil it all once its cleaned and before you use it. I normally clean mine out 2-3 times a year and re-grease it.

Chaos is my co-pilot.

Bradders2125

• 2010 Agility 50
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 04:02:11 PM »
As I've got plenty of spare time at the moment I will be able to check, dismantle and reassemble most stuff. The only downside being the short days causing lack of light.

I did notice that some of the bolts are threaded badly and I remember using a thread repair kit on some of the holes. So that could be a reason for it, if the case isn't tight enough.

Brads

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2012, 12:22:28 AM »
As I've got plenty of spare time at the moment I will be able to check, dismantle and reassemble most stuff. The only downside being the short days causing lack of light.

I did notice that some of the bolts are threaded badly and I remember using a thread repair kit on some of the holes. So that could be a reason for it, if the case isn't tight enough.

Brads

Put some plumers tape on the bolds it well help hold tight.

fabio

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2012, 12:11:44 PM »

On a similar scooter that i once owned (not a Kymco on this occasion) the starter bendix used to get easily funked up, any grease that was on it used to attract all of the belt shavings that were loose under the transmission cover. It caused a problem that is known as "sticky bendix" where the bendix does it job but then gets stuck in the out position so then next time you try to start it it just whines and grinds but doesn't actually do too much else.

The cure is to remove the bendix drive (which on most scooters usually just lifts out when you can get to it under the transmission cover) and blast it clean with WD40 or similar, work the bendix when the WD40 is on it to loosen it all up, and then let it dry completely.

Reassembly is easy and usually I'd not apply any oil as it will get all stuck up again

Hope this helps

Fabio

Current Stable: Kawasaki GPZ500, Honda CB125TDC, Piaggio NRG MC2, Kymco Agility..................Previous Rides: Vespa ET2, Vespa GT125, Vespa PK125, Lambretta Cento

Bradders2125

• 2010 Agility 50
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2012, 04:18:51 PM »
So today was a good day.

Soldered a piece of wire onto the starter motor tab, added a male connector to the other end. Popped a dab of grease on the shaft and refitted. Then tried to start and IT WORKED. But I'm not jumping for joy just yet, it was dry outside and not too cold. So I'm going to try it a bit later when the weather hopefully turns sour.

On another note it seems to have lost some power, not accelerating as fast and significant slowing down on an incline, also it doesn't sound as loud and throaty as it did and I can hear some sort of air leak. Replaced the recently removed iridium plug as it looked fine and it seemed to run slightly better although I didn't test ride it.

I've bought some new bolts to replace the damaged ones, hopefully do that tomorrow. Going to cut the old heads off and use the rubber bushes on the new bolts.

I have noticed a tube running from the top of the cylinder and then going under the floor pan. It's loose and the end is flared like it has been attached to something in the past. Is this normal or should it be attached at both ends.

Thanks

Brads

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2012, 10:48:17 PM »
  Well the loose tube is the crank case vent. It should attach to the airbox or intake tube somewhere.
Maybe the open connection is letting air in and upsetting the mixture?

I'd leave the iridium plug in too. They fire a tiny bit easier and last a long time!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()