Author Topic: Tragedy in bad weather  (Read 1654 times)

AVGuy

• View Profile
Tragedy in bad weather
« on: December 28, 2012, 05:03:32 PM »
Two lives lost in a bad-weather accident. The story isn't real clear about what lanes the two vehicles were in. Some of the comments say the truck was right behind the scooter, some say they were in adjoining lanes. The sad result is two people dead. Be careful out there.

http://www.courierpress.com/news/2012/dec/26/no-headline---accident_brief/?partner=popular
Grand Vista 250
"Big Scoot"

Urbestfriend

• View Profile
Re: Tragedy in bad weather
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 06:03:10 PM »
AV Guy...Urbestfriend agrees this is a sad situation.   Not to be judging,  but there are a great
number of Scooterists in Indiana that have lost their license and a 50cc is their only means of conveyance.  I hope this wasn't the case here,  but it seems somewhat foolish to ride in snow
for any other reason.   By the way,  AV,  we had almost 12" of snow (1-2") more on the way,  but
this time,  the bulk of it seems to be coming your way.   Mine sits beside my Tractor with Plow in front of my car.  I'm always ready to ride,  but I'll walk before I ride in snow and ice. 

AVGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 06:54:47 PM »
I see a lot of 50cc riders who obviously are DUI riders. They're the ones who wear no safety gear and pay little attention to the traffic laws, which is what got them into that boat in the first place. A couple of years ago I saw a rider during a snowstorm who rode with his feet out to the sides skimming on the snow to keep from falling over. Don't think I'd want to give that a try.

Yes, we're expecting more tonight and them first of next week. Poor scoot will just have to stay in the garage.
Grand Vista 250
"Big Scoot"

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 08:45:03 PM »
Sorry to hear about the two in Evansville. I rode my Yamaha YM-1 305cc motorcycle in the snow from Vancouver, BC to Seattle area in late 60s or early 70s. I vowed if I made it alive I would never do it again. Snow sucks on two wheels. Yes, I made it and did not fall. I was really tired from sweating it so hard and was really cold from marginal gear. I hate to say never.......let's say really reluctant.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Urbestfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 09:09:32 PM »
Crossbolt / Karl...That long ago,  You, me and AV were just young kids then.  Shoot...
we probably did a lot of things.  But...I could get up off the floor without using my hands.
(Recent Brazilian Study indicates one who can't get up off the floor without using their hands
can expect a shortened life).  Of course, every older person is in that boat.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 10:03:15 PM »
I see a lot of 50cc riders who obviously are DUI riders. They're the ones who wear no safety gear and pay little attention to the traffic laws, which is what got them into that boat in the first place. A couple of years ago I saw a rider during a snowstorm who rode with his feet out to the sides skimming on the snow to keep from falling over. Don't think I'd want to give that a try.

Yes, we're expecting more tonight and them first of next week. Poor scoot will just have to stay in the garage.

In the states if you have a DUI you cant drive anything with a motor....................

Carol

• Brainerd, Minnesota
  • Look me up on facebook !
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 11:49:42 PM »
  This is EXACTLY why my scooter spends the winter in the garage.  I have better things to do than be a speed bump on an icy/snowy road for a person in a 4x4 1/2 ton pickup.  Drivers in this area have the 4 wheel drive "mentality" - which is "I have 4 wheel drive therefore I will not slide on ice and snow.  It is just asinine, quite frankly I chuckle to my self as I drive past these idiot AFTER they have landed in the ditch in bad weather.

Mn requires DL to drive any size "bike". Motorcycle endorsement required on any over 50cc. State law also requires a minimum amount of insurance on each "vehicle".
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 01:52:11 AM by Carol »
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to skid in broadside , thoroughly used up , totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!!"

Urbestfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 01:15:26 AM »
This item yielded some 62 comments in the Evansville Newspaper Article.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 01:26:10 AM »
Scooter accidents....?  happens everyday here.... a very common sight....

1. You can get a driver's license if you have a motorbike. No need for any tests.

2. The car driver's license is also the motorcycle license.

3. No laws on DUI.

4. No speed limits except for some designated areas.

5. No laws on engine mods.

6. A driver's license is applicable for 50cc's up to 1,000 ++ cc.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 01:35:14 AM by Vivo »

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 05:17:36 PM »
I really need to get back to the PI!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2013, 02:24:07 AM »
I really need to get back to the PI!

Karl

yup karl, Subic is really nice now... no more G.I.'s, just tourists and party places/resorts....

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()