Author Topic: Anyone having Kymco battery issues?  (Read 7286 times)

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
Anyone having Kymco battery issues?
« on: January 03, 2013, 10:26:09 PM »
When I am done riding I plug my scooter into a battery tender. This past weekend I went to start my scooter ('12 Like 200i) and it barely started. It turn the starter motor a fraction before pausing a moment whereby the lights and clock went completely out then a moment later it fired up. I shut it down and tried starting it again, but it did not have enough juice to restart the scooter. I placed it on the battery tender and it took 2 hours to go from red status to flashing green and about another hour before turning solid green. Anyone else experiencing issues with their Kymco battery? My dealer says the battery on the Like is of the cheap type. I am debating if I should get a repalcement under warranty or buy a YUSA and be done with it.

Urbestfriend

• View Profile
Re: Anyone having Kymco battery issues?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 10:32:22 PM »
How cold is it where you are?  Here in South Central Indiana, it's been close or below freezing now for a week.
I also have a small charger on my Xciting 250.  Let me tell you,  it doesn't want to start and the battery runs
down fast.   The drive is covered in ice and snow anyway,  so I'm just waiting.  My experience with Kymco's
(X3) is they are somewhat cold blooded and some take forever to get warmed up.

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 10:35:51 PM »
I live in San Jose, CA. Night time temps have been in the low 30s for the past week with day time highs in the low 50s. The scooter is in the garage which dips down into the 40s overnight.

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 10:53:45 PM »
Hello I have had my Like 200i on the tender pretty much since November and there have been a few days here in Oregon when I have been able to ride it. The temps have been low 30s-40s but the scoot has started on first spin each time. I am running 10w-40 Amsoil scooter oil and the starter spins pretty easily.
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 11:00:55 PM »
I think I must have a bad cell or two. I'll know Saturday for sure. Called my dealer and they started the process by filing a warranty claim. They said to bring the battery in and they will test it, but they too think its a defective battery.

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 11:02:40 PM »
My battery went flat and then wasnt great at keeping a charge so i swapped it for a new one. It was 3 years old and the same one from new tho.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 11:48:19 PM »
A lot of shops don't initialized the batteries properly so they don't last like they should.

I'm surprised the battery is covered under the warranty! The tender is a good idea but
I had a battery loose all it's water by being on the tender too much as it seems to cycle
each time it's connected and charge for a while even though the battery is full...
2012 Yager GT 200I - Southern NH

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 12:24:30 AM »
the batterys have a cranking charge to theam. that part of the battery has to be strong enough to turn the starter over.when the cranking charge is bad so is the battery.

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 01:01:36 AM »
Should I stick with a Kymco battery or buy another brand and waive the warranty replacement?

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 01:58:29 AM »
Should I stick with a Kymco battery or buy another brand and waive the warranty replacement?

wave the warrenty just get a better battery. kymcos warranty suck. been there done that.But I stell love my scoot.

DoubleSC

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 04:03:26 AM »
+1 waive warranty replacement. 
Had mine go bad on the Super8 150 while still within warranty, but replaced the Kymco standard battery (YTX7A-BS) with an aftermarket one (YTZ10S) that was physically nearly the same size, had more capacity, and was cheaper to boot!.

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 11:42:35 AM »
I'd take the free batt and sell it on E-bay to get some of the money back from buying a new better batt.

The original owner of my scoot Peoples s200 changed the batt out after 7 months, he said it was always dead.

I keep the scoot on a tender now that temps are below 40 most of the time. Before that I'd tender it over the weekend and leave it off all week. In summer I've not had a problem.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

Wil B.

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2013, 03:13:03 PM »
TroutBum......My battery lost all it's water  staying on the battery tender (winter).  I had the same problems trying to start my scoot.  I pulled the battery and the cells were pretty dry.  I filled with distilled H2O and let sit for a few hours.  The scoot started right up!  No problems since.

Check the fluid level in the battery twice a year especially if on a battery tender over the winter.  There should be no need to put on the tender between rides unless there is a charging problem, or unless the scoot sits for more than several weeks at a time.  Mine easily lasts a month without putting on the tender.

Wil B.
Broadview, IL

'71 Guzzi Ambassador
'91 Nighthawk
'10 Kymco Yager 200gt
'04 Kymco Super 9

Wil B.

2010 Kymco Yager 200
2004 Ktmco Super 9
2014 Honda CTX
"I am not a number. I'm a FREE MAN!"

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2013, 04:35:48 PM »
There should be no need to put on the tender between rides unless there is a charging problem, or unless the scoot sits for more than several weeks at a time

+1

I dont know anyone who uses a tender for any of their bikes or scoots.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2013, 05:11:34 PM »
When I first had the scoot I never put it on the tender. I was riding it so much that I figured it would stay charged easily and the temps here were warmer. My dealer suggested the use of a tender for the winter due to lower voltage levels in the cold and NO he did not sell me the tender! When I lived in California I did not use one although many of my bikes had kick starters...Len
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()