Author Topic: Transporting - how much to compress front fork?  (Read 1282 times)

Charlie P

• View Profile
Transporting - how much to compress front fork?
« on: January 10, 2013, 03:28:52 AM »
Just how much should the front fork (shock/springs) be compressed when tying down the scooter for transport?  I have a carrier that mounts on the back of my truck so the scooter is perpendicular to the truck.  Some people say not to compress the forks other say 5 -10 mm (that ain't very much).  Pictures/videos of how you transport (in particular the fork compression question) would be great.

We've got 70 degree sunny weather coming in on Friday around Fort Worth.  I'm hitting the road 8)
Charlie P.
2013 Xciting 500Ri ABS
formerly 2010 Yager & 2008 Grand Vista
Near Haslet, TX (NW of Fort Worth)

Vivo

• View Profile
Re: Transporting - how much to compress front fork?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 03:55:33 AM »
Just enough as prevent the bike from bouncing.  Secure your brakes.

Jrmay

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 07:44:57 AM »
When I picked mine up from the dealer, they strapped (f1 strap from each side of the handle bar) tight enough the bike was held very secure without the kickstand.  I did not pay that much attention to how far the fork was compressed, but it was tight enough I would not of needed the one I put across the rear end.

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 07:35:03 PM »
I carried my 300i downtown 10,000 miles round trip to west coast & back ,tied the wheels tight , & the handle bars crossed tight enough to just start flexing the bars and had no problem,.  from ottawa to winnipeg to edmonton, to victoria to portland or. to denver then back to ottawa.  ontario canada,. just had to ride in the rocky mountains,. not to show off my scooter to my family all over the country,. he he 79 years old young,. hope to ride till ninety,. might have to switch to a three wheeler, just for balance,. getting on and off,. the golden hawk

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()