Author Topic: Kimmy 50 - No Electric Start  (Read 2604 times)

melville74

• View Profile
Kimmy 50 - No Electric Start
« on: January 14, 2013, 03:37:22 AM »
Hi Everyone- I am a new Kymco owner. I've had a new Agility 50 for two weeks. Runs fine. This evening we had low temps + rain all day so ice was all over the switches, dash etc. I get nothing from the electric start. Kick start turns it fine- maybe take 3 kicks to get it going. It is cold here- 20 degrees F + windchill. It has to be the ice/cold weather as it's been running great and still does with kick. Strong battery, turn signals work fine, strong headlight. Any thoughts? Thanks-
melville74
2013 Kymco Agility 50
Derestricted ~42 MPH

Vivo

• View Profile
Re: Kimmy 50 - No Electric Start
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 08:04:46 AM »
Welcome Kimmy... congratulations on your new scoot... things get really bad during extreme weather conditions... just keep on ridin'...

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 09:12:20 AM »
My starter button on the bars has frozen up before so it didnt work. After pouring some warm water over it to thaw it out tho it was fine.Coule be anything, frozen switch, broken switch, broken wire/connector, etc, etc, etc. You may need to start tracing the fault if its still not working once it thaws out.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 01:59:54 PM »
  On some scoots there's a spade lug on the starter itself. If ice got in there it might
open the connector, so take it off and check it. The handlebar switches, if frozen you
would have to warm them up somehow, if water got in there you would need to
disassemble them and dry them and fill them with dielectric grease...
2012 Yager GT 200I - Southern NH

melville74

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 03:18:49 PM »
Thanks guys- once I get some time I will check it out and post back in case anyone has the same issue.
melville74
2013 Kymco Agility 50
Derestricted ~42 MPH

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 11:12:00 PM »
Thanks guys- once I get some time I will check it out and post back in case anyone has the same issue.

Just show your scoot a little love. Cover it up or put it in a shed. when the weather gets cold I do both.
I cover mine up with a heavy blanket and keep in a shed. befor I start it up I well let a small heater run for abour 20 min next to it.

melville74

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 04:20:47 PM »
Well unfortunately I live in an apartment complex and have no place to store it. It has been electrically starting fine. It's ice that gets it. So far it has been reliable kick starting though.
melville74
2013 Kymco Agility 50
Derestricted ~42 MPH

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 05:56:58 PM »
thawing out elec.wiring water?????    what do you think the wifes hair dryer is for,.   

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 10:45:56 PM »
Well unfortunately I live in an apartment complex and have no place to store it. It has been electrically starting fine. It's ice that gets it. So far it has been reliable kick starting though.

Get a big hefy blanket and a cycle cover for it. and you should be all good.

Bradders2125

• 2010 Agility 50
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2013, 06:10:17 PM »
I have a spade connector on my starter and the wire used to come off just enough to stop it working, I had to hold it on properly with one hand and use the other to hold the break and start button. It's worth checking.  I've modded mine now so I don't need to hold it though.

Brads

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 09:49:25 PM »
thawing out elec.wiring water?????    what do you think the wifes hair dryer is for,.   

Nope.Never did that. I said if its frosty and icey out and i didnt cover my scoot that i will warm up some water in the kettle and pour it over my scoot. Over the seat, the mirrors, speedo and grips etc to remove the ice. Some obviously will go over the switches but no more than if you get caught in a heavy shower? If the electrics short out from that then you go bigger problems to worry about really, and besides, im an electrical engineer so i kinda know water and electrics dont mix well  :D
Chaos is my co-pilot.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 03:51:56 AM »
This may help, or other similar products... I use this during typhoon/flood season... it water proofs your electrical system...

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2013, 04:55:58 AM »
Mine doesn't like the cold at all

It didn't start because of the cold just the other day. Of course cold is a relative term. 20 degrees is cold here. I can't even imagine -20  :o

My battery is almost 3 years old though. I know it's about to go. Kick back up is so nice  8). I had a Nissan that I'd roll start every day for a few months  :D . Reman. starter was like $250! Crazy. I ended up taking the starter to a motor shop and having it rebuilt for about $50. Never gave me trouble again.

Sometimes my scoot is hard to start just sitting outside in the cold for a few hours. Starter turns fine, Just takes a few tries. Never have trouble when it's been in the garage... Must be the Moisture in the air.
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2013, 06:39:23 AM »
Maybe the air/fuel mix differs. Your carb was tuned on a specific setting thus when the temp drops really low, the volume of air increases (because it's cold and more dense)...my 2 cents...

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2013, 07:58:58 PM »
You're absolutely correct about that, and it may be part of the problem.

But... It starts fine when it's been sitting in the garage. My garage is not much, if any, warmer than the outside air. Doesn't have the moisture that the outside air does though.
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()