Author Topic: throttle sticking-what to do??  (Read 1486 times)

grahamk

• View Profile
throttle sticking-what to do??
« on: January 16, 2013, 04:38:53 AM »
Hi name is Graham (nickname is Gnome)
I have a 2011 Downtown 300i & is very happy with it. I live in West Auckland,New Zealand.
My problem is that as i'm powering off the the throttle it feels like its sticking,could this be a throttle problem?? The bikes warrant runs out in May 2013 :) ???
Any suggestions from anyone would help...............

climbamt

• At Indian Summer 7
    • View Profile
    • Alpine Inspirations
Re: throttle sticking-what to do??
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 04:43:02 AM »
Have you recently trailered the scooter?  ???

After a recent trip where I trailered my People 50, I noticed the throttle sticking. The Canyon Dancer straps had slid the grip over slightly and was causing the additional friction on the throttle...... :-* ;D
Baltimore, MD

06 Vespa GT200
03 Genuine Stella 2T
06 Kymco People 150
03 Kymco People 50 2T
03 Honda Metropolitan 50 (SOLD)
11 Kymco Super 8 50 (SOLD)

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 11:51:53 AM »
I have seen them stick before where the grease under the tube itself gets dried out and binds it up.
You need to disassemble the controls to the point of removing the throttle tube and put some light
lithium grease under there. I haven't done it myself so can't give you a step by step (sorry).
2012 Yager GT 200I - Southern NH

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 09:48:54 PM »
my idea is use powdered grafite for locks,  good for all temperatures ,  had a nice ride today , it was 6 below C. this morning, and 50 km. later it was 0 C. home now and the temp. dropping to 15 to 25 below C  tonite,. we are on the edge of a cold front,. to bad it is going to snow again, I hope not to much, as long as the roads are dry and clear I will go for a ride , no side streets to much ice,. at 79 I will not take to many chances,.      the golden hawk 300i D.T.  2011  just past 28,000 km. about (18,000 ) miles 

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 06:32:30 PM »
Could also be an airleak in the carb or manifold if the actual wire and mechanism is free. Tho i dont know if your scoot has a carb?
Chaos is my co-pilot.

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 06:44:57 PM »
Annual I do the following to keep my throttle and brake cables in good shape.

http://www.protectall.com/cablehowto.aspx

ophelia

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 10:40:31 PM »
So that's why Graham was asking about lubricating the throttle cables... I didn't know there was another thread going on here.

When doing the heated grips on my significant other's Downtown, I noticed the throttle started to stick. I disassembled the throttle housing and found the return cable holder was mangled on the grip. It didn't seem to hold the return cable end very securely, and it wouldn't return smoothly all of the time.

The dealer couldn't get the Downtown nylon throttle grip shaft, so we substituted for the cheaper Xciting 500 throttle grip. It's not quite a perfect fit since it's a bit longer in certain dimensions and has a different rubber texture, but it wasn't a big deal after I put the heated grip sleeves on.

It might be a tight squeeze to slip the throttle cable on over the cable guide on the shaft. Be careful and work slowly. I wonder if it was mangled the first time by someone trying to fit it on.

Have a look at the throttle grip shaft assembly. It's only two screws away on the kill switch housing.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 10:43:25 PM by thesurgeonistherobot »
2011 Kymco Downtown 300i

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()