Author Topic: Can I assemble ABS subsequently?  (Read 4627 times)

Adept

• Empaticus Maximus
    • View Profile
Can I assemble ABS subsequently?
« on: January 17, 2013, 07:26:25 PM »
Hi

Have anybody heard about assembling ABS subsequently to a bike? Is it possible?

I have a barely used (200km)14gr Dr Pulley rollers to SELL!! Send a PM if you interested in...

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
Re: Can I assemble ABS subsequently?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 08:35:57 PM »
You mean adding it on after the fact? There's a bit involved. You need the sensor ring and sensor on each wheel.
Then you need a fluid release plumbed into the brake line. Then you need a CPU to monitor the wheels and release
the pressure at the right times. You might as well buy a crashed scoot with it on it and transfer all the parts...
2012 Yager GT 200I - Southern NH

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 01:10:10 AM »
You might as well buy a crashed scoot with it on it and transfer all the parts...

Just make sure the crash was not due to a faulty ABS.... ;D

Adept

• Empaticus Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 08:17:42 PM »
You mean adding it on after the fact? There's a bit involved. You need the sensor ring and sensor on each wheel.
Then you need a fluid release plumbed into the brake line. Then you need a CPU to monitor the wheels and release
the pressure at the right times. You might as well buy a crashed scoot with it on it and transfer all the parts...

Thank you... Theoretically the Downtown has this sensor ring by default.
So I have to get a crashed Downtown with ABS... Can I buy genuine ABS parts from Kymco? Maybe i t is a faster way...

I have a barely used (200km)14gr Dr Pulley rollers to SELL!! Send a PM if you interested in...

jwalz1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 09:16:40 PM »
If you could find a parts list for an ABS scooter and a non-abs you would just buy all of the coresponding parts and swap them out.  Anything with a different part number for the whole braking system, any additional parts that don't come with the non-abs, and maybe even the ecu. I have done stuff like that with a car to add a feature that was added to the model line a couple years later.  It is not a cheap way to do things however.  

I don't know about Kymco parts but if it is anything like OEM car parts, they kill you on replacement parts cost.  

I'd love to add it if I could because there was no ABS option in the US, but I bet you could spend over $500 pretty quick.  It would be nice if Kymco thought there was enough interest in the US or other markets to offer an ABS conversion kit with all the parts and instructions in one package.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 12:18:29 AM by jwalz1 »

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 05:13:06 AM »
  It would probably be cheeper to buy a scooter from another country that has it ,  and import it,.

de dee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 06:14:38 AM »
  not counting shipping exchange rate ,  british  $ 3999 Lb.s =canadian 6,500 $ I dont know if the price listed includes value added tax which is 20%,  would have to call them and do some horse trading ,   I think it will be better to wait till kymco sends ABS brakes here,  the premium for ABS is 500$,. when it is available,.

Adept

• Empaticus Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 02:18:41 PM »
  It would probably be cheeper to buy a scooter from another country that has it ,  and import it,.

Unfortunately here in Hungary, we have a "registration tax". It is 135000 HUF (450euros).  It is the same if I would buy a new toyota Corolla.  So when I find a good used bike (with ABS) on the mobile.de for example for 3000euros, and I bring it home, I have to pay 3700euros for it (regtax, transportation, papers, etc).  So it is not a good business in HUngary. That is why everybody bringing in crashed bikes... :((

Adept

• Empaticus Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 02:23:55 PM »

I'd love to add it if I could because there was no ABS option in the US, but I bet you could spend over $500 pretty quick.  It would be nice if Kymco thought there was enough interest in the US or other markets to offer an ABS conversion kit with all the parts and instructions in one package.
Yes that is would be nice :D :D

Now I surfing the net, to find some description or solution about this issue...

Adept

• Empaticus Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 07:51:26 PM »
I have found a bike builder shop in Hungary. They've said it is way too expensive to make this modification. They can only use factory items so it isn't worth... But this is only their opinion :D

de dee

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2013, 05:13:03 AM »
 ???How does the ABS work, I heard that it does not pulse the brake, it lowers the brake preasure How does it compare with honda brakes on there scooters,.   other than combined braking that they have,.

Adept

• Empaticus Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2013, 07:40:20 AM »
???How does the ABS work, I heard that it does not pulse the brake, it lowers the brake preasure How does it compare with honda brakes on there scooters,.   other than combined braking that they have,.

I think, that is the way it works... You grab the brake with full power, the wheel stops, and the abs release a little power (override your grab), so the wheel can roll over. The result, you won't fall down... 
It is not an error. The pulsing is because this stop-release cycle goes very fast over and over again. You feel this as a pulse...

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2013, 03:01:39 AM »

There are two kinds...the aftermarket China ABS that works by easing pressure on the discs... these are the dangerous types because these are not real ABS.  Don't buy these....

The other type are the real ABS... The "pulse" or stop-release-stop-release like Adept described is the real ABS... These are electronically controlled and the pulse is around 20 per second.

de dee

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2013, 04:02:02 AM »
   I presume kymco has the pulse ABS system,. for the 300i DT. and the GT 300i  it sure will be nice when these scooters  get to canada and the usa. with ABS,.      I  would like to try a gt. 300i and see if there is much difference in handleing,. and ease in getting crappy leg onto scooter,. I have to do my 80 year old test next month ,. I hope I can do it with my scooter,.

Adept

• Empaticus Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2013, 07:58:46 PM »
There are two kinds...the aftermarket China ABS that works by easing pressure on the discs... these are the dangerous types because these are not real ABS.  Don't buy these....

The other type are the real ABS... The "pulse" or stop-release-stop-release like Adept described is the real ABS... These are electronically controlled and the pulse is around 20 per second.

I don't really understand what is the difference? The chinese abs you talk about is a mechanical abs, what is a pressure valve, I think, isn't it..? Why is it so bad?

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()