Author Topic: High flow air filter rework  (Read 809 times)

ScooterBJ

• "Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here!"
    • View Profile
High flow air filter rework
« on: January 22, 2013, 02:33:12 PM »
I had posted this in the Xciting 500 forum, but as the procedure can be used on many scooters, motorcycles, ATVs, etc., I would add it here. Also an update, the Xciting runs about 500 rpm lower at 50mph and accelerates better.
-------------------------------------------------------------

I took some time this afternoon t rework the stock air filter into a UNI hi flow foam. The images should help.
1. Cut out the old paper element, removed the restrictive screen and trimmed out the edges.
2. Cleaned it all up with a dremel, then with naphtha (alcohol would work too).
3. Cut the piece of UNI foam about 1/4 inch larger then the hole. It should be a slightly snug fit.
(I used UNI universal foam I ordered from Amazon. Cost was about $13 and the sheet of foam is enough to do this 4-5 times at least.)
4. Cut a piece of metal screen about 1/4 inch wider on all 4 sides. Bend up the 1/4 inch on all 4 sides and insert into opening. Bend to sides to fit snug.
5. Glue in the screen. I used a oil resistance silicone caulk.
6. Add caulk to edges of foam and insert against the screen.
7. Add small amount of of caulk around the edges of the foam to seal. Let dry 24 hours.
8. Lightly oil the foam with filter oil. Spray works best.
9. Reinstall on scooter.

i have used this method on many scooters and motorcycles. The X500 air filter element is tiny and good air flow is limited. i checked and the X500 element has about half the air flow surface area as my stock Burgman 400 air filter element. The foam will allow a lot more air in, and allow it in faster. Also, the stock screen on the bottom of the filter element is about 20-30% restrictive. The screen i used to replace is about 5% restrictive. The screen is from an old fireplace grill but I have used aluminum screen door screen in the past. The caulk is white in the photo but wil be clear when dry.  Next, i will find a good place to add a couple 1/2 holes to the airbox to allow the filter to pull air in faster.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 02:39:17 PM by ScooterBJ »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()