Author Topic: Kymco People running issue (problem solved!)  (Read 1781 times)

scootermaven

• View Profile
Kymco People running issue (problem solved!)
« on: January 27, 2013, 03:20:46 PM »
I have recently purchased a 2001 KYMCO People 50 w/less than 200 miles on it.  Supposedly, according to the previous owner, the carb was cleaned by a scooter shop before it was sold to me.  Here's the issue...bike cranks and runs fine, but once it gets warmed-up, just after the choke shuts down, it will idle down and tends to stall when even gently getting on the gas.  You can let it sit for only a minute and she fires back up and runs fine for a while till it does the same thing again.  I've put-in a new spark plug, new air filter, drained and filled the tank with fresh premium gas and air screw is 1 turn out, per the service manual.  Does this sound like the carb need to be cleaned again to you all?  I don't mind doing it, but just wanted to check-in with the experts first.  Any other things I might wanna check before cleaning the carb?  
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 12:24:47 AM by scootermaven »
I may be slower uphill, but I'm quicker at the gas pump!

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
Re: Kymco People running issue
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 03:35:01 PM »
 Well a 2001 with only 200 miles has sat for a long time! Chances are the carb still needs
a bit of cleaning or the valves are a bit sticky. You might try some seafoam or techron in
the gas tank and take it for a long ride to get it fully warmed up and cleaned up.

Also try running with the idle a little higher for a while till it gets broken in a bit better.
If it runs OK on the choke maybe it needs to be a bit richer? Change the main jet up a
couple of numbers perhaps? Or try one more turn out on the mixture screw.

Oh and never believe the seller unless he has receipts to prove it!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 04:04:21 PM by MotoRandy123 »
2012 Yager GT 200I - Southern NH

scootermaven

• View Profile
Re: Kymco People running issue
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 12:27:26 AM »
Well a 2001 with only 200 miles has sat for a long time! Chances are the carb still needs
a bit of cleaning or the valves are a bit sticky. You might try some seafoam or techron in
the gas tank and take it for a long ride to get it fully warmed up and cleaned up.

Also try running with the idle a little higher for a while till it gets broken in a bit better.
If it runs OK on the choke maybe it needs to be a bit richer? Change the main jet up a
couple of numbers perhaps? Or try one more turn out on the mixture screw.

Oh and never believe the seller unless he has receipts to prove it!

Thanks, MotoRandy!  Ended-up removing the carb and thoroughly cleaning it myself, to be sure.  What I found to be the culprit was a clogged idle jet...couldn't see through it.  Anyhoo, the scoot runs great now!
I may be slower uphill, but I'm quicker at the gas pump!

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
Re: Kymco People running issue (problem solved!)
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 02:39:50 AM »
...ditto...

;D
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()