Author Topic: Newbie at everything...here  (Read 1080 times)

OIWB

• View Profile
Newbie at everything...here
« on: January 27, 2013, 11:50:18 PM »
Hey folks, I've been living in the background, for a little while. This is my first scooter and my first post at a forum. I know you'll are busy, but I could really use some help. 3 weeks ago I bought a 2007 people 50 (2-stroke) w/ 4800 k looked and ran like new. Now it won't stay reved up, it will for about 20 seconds then die if I don't let off the throtle.It idles fine, I cleaned the keihin carb-youtube video-jets are 35 and 70,(it was spotless)turning screws on the carb does't effect it much,checked fuel filter,its acts like its running out of gas,but the bowl is full.Took the pipe off to look for obstructions,nothing although it seems very heavy. I managed to find lots written by Art and wordslinger about the ppl 50 but not this problem.Please know that anything I know about a scooter I've learned very recently so It may be somethig basic?The last thing I want to do is take it to our ONE kymco shop in town... one last thing I put 2 oz of sea foam cleaner in the gas tank, problem started about 50 miles latter? I'm at my witts end.  Thanks for any help

blue

• View Profile
Re: Newbie at everything...here
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 01:29:58 AM »
try changing all the gas and oil with fresh. Drane the tank the best you can. use a higher octain of gas the frist time you do this.See if this helps.also if it wont stay rev up it might be you cdi box needs replaced.

rp

• Chicago
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 01:40:59 AM »
Because the last thing you did was fuel related.  Did you try changing the fuel filter?  4800km is about 3600 miles and a good PMI (preventive maintence inspection) is probably in order. Air filter, Gas Filter, Valve adjustment, verify spark plug is getting a blue spark and not white, yellow or purple, check CVT and clutch and change rear lube.  

When I got my first scoot bought a Haynes Techbook on scooters. The infomation is general but has a lot of pictures and well worth it.

The first time is always the hardest.    

RP

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 12:35:52 PM »
    2 strokes create a lot of carbon as they burn the oil in the gas. It's possible for the
exhaust to be clogged with carbon (exhaust port too). I'd remove the pipe and check
around. Some people burn out the carbon in the exhaust from time to time.

The other possibly is on the fuel side. The rubber diaphragm in the carb could have
 a hole in it or be pinched or the intake (passed the carb) could have a leak.

I'm not sure it's a good idea to use seafoam in a 2 stroke. It will lean out the mixture
(as it's not gas) and might kill the lubricating properties of the 2 stroke oil in there.

EDIT: I did find this in looking around on the internet"
We frequently see scooters less than 2 months old with "schmutz" in the jets bad enough to the point where either they won't start or the won't rev above idle. We try not to let a scooter leave our shop without an ounce of Sea Foam in the tank during the winter months. " So it looks like sea foam is OK!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 06:12:38 PM by MotoRandy123 »
2012 Yager GT 200I - Southern NH

OIWB

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 08:42:59 AM »
Thanks Blue,rp and MotoRandy123 for your advice on my problem. I didn't get to monkey with it today but...all day tomorrow something is going to give. Is there a sure fire way to tell if the pipe is stopped up? I took it off (no build up that I could see)and it seemes very,very, heavy but I don't know how heavy it's suppose to be. I'm sort of learning to navagate this site and I researching everywhere I can find this type thing. Thanks again for your help and support which I find encouraging and delightful that there really are good ,kind people left in this world that help folks, just because they need it. Thanks for allowing me to slip in amoungst you'll !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OIWB

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 10:11:37 AM »
I spent most  of the day working on/or reading old posts about people 50's. I recleaned the carb and still it would fire right up and idle fine then when you rev it up after about 10-15 seconds it would die unless you let off the gas. I took the exhaust pipe off for the thrid time and out of deperation I started it (without the pipe) no change. I checked everything I could think of then as I was turning screws on the carb I put my hand against the carb intake and it made a funny sucking sound and started instantly running better.Something clogged somewhere. I remember reading that you needed the air cleaner on for it to run correctly. I put that on and spent another few mins.  fine tuning the carb and presdo its back to running G-R-E-A-T. thanks again for your help and if this is just another normal day of scootering, please don't tell me.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()