Author Topic: Strengthening Shad Top Case Mount  (Read 1610 times)

ScooterBJ

• "Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here!"
    • View Profile
Strengthening Shad Top Case Mount
« on: February 06, 2013, 10:50:33 PM »
The Shad top case mount is totally different than the GIVI as it does not have the support rods that go to the upper shock mounts. The Shad mount allows a lot of vibration and did break a mount base plate over time. In an effort to avoid buying a GIVI mount, I made this strengthening bracket to give more support to the rear of the case base plate mount. In doing so i found the Kymco 500 rack/spoiler/hand grab is actually plastic cast over aluminum. Hmmm. The bracket did make it stronger but I will need to do some riding to see if it does the trick. As we are expecting snow, it may be a while.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 10:53:31 PM by ScooterBJ »

sissy mary

• View Profile
Re: Strengthening Shad Top Case Mount
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 01:36:10 PM »
Nice set up. So far I have had no issues with my Shad box. I do like the Givi mounting kit better, but the money they want is crazy. :-*

ScooterBJ

• "Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 12:36:03 AM »
Yes, the Givi stuff is pricey. I have had more Shad than GIVI and overall, like it just as well. My xc500 has a Bestem T-Box on the back. Decent quality and good price. On our Burg400, I made the mounting system from scratch by heavily modifying the built in backrest. It is solid as concrete.

If the trunk still flexes a lot I will likely weld up copies of the GIVI mounting struts as that is certainly the most solid mounting system for this scooter.

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 04:24:03 PM »
I've got the arms for my Kappa box but haven't mounted them yet (they came with it).  I don't really like the look of the arms sticking out the way they do.  Years ago I had a top box stolen by someone who kicked it off of the mounting plate (don't you love it when people witness it but don't stop it?).  Since then I haven't been a fan of removable cases.  I'm considering removing the mounting plate, getting a 3/4" thick white cutting board, drilling through the case/board/rack - then bolting it together.  I've used a poly cutting board to support a large basket on a DR650 and was really happy with it. 

I wonder if you could remove the Shad mounting box, transfer it's hardware to a cutting board, and firm it up that way? 

Does anyone really remove their topbox and take it with them anyway?
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 10:37:18 PM »
JWTR, that is a GREAT idea to use the 3/4" thick white plastic cutting board! Weather proof and strong! Genius people on this forum!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()