Author Topic: Kickstart setup - Picture Request + start issue  (Read 5634 times)

Deejays50

• View Profile
Kickstart setup - Picture Request + start issue
« on: February 07, 2013, 10:54:39 PM »
Hey all.

I got this Agility 50 scooter for an attractive price. I know it runs because I've ridden it before. It is said to be bored to 80cc. There is no airbox but just an open filter on the carb.

You should know I am on the East Coast and its very cold (20*F). The scooter just won't start. The only time it will start is if its connected to my high amperage Police Interceptor (Crown Vic) with some serious jumper cables while the car is running. I tried using a fully charged and stored indoors booster pack which is supposed to have 600CCA and it still would get stuck.

It just cranks like its a dead battery. It will do half a rotation of the engine, hit TDC and stop. Something tells me this thing should still start in cold weather.

Now, it appears the previous owner took out the kick start. EVERYTHING. the kickstart lever is missing, as well as the spindle and everything that belongs in the trans. I feel if I can re install the proper kickstart components I might be able to start it at any temp outdoors.

Can someone provide me with some pictures of their scoot's kickstart? Maybe someone has a picture with the belt cover off?

Please help me as I am at a dead-end here.

Thank you in advance!!!

JC

• View Profile
Re: Kickstart setup - Picture Request + start issue
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 11:23:27 PM »
The guys here on the forum recommend Stadium Yamaha for parts. They also have a fiche so you can get a visual of the kickstart parts you will need. I'm posting from my phone or I'd post a link.
Hope this helps and good luck!!!

Deejays50

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 11:58:24 PM »
I found it on this website as well but it says its for GY6. Is it the same?

http://www.motopartsmax.com/index.php/main_page/product_info/cPath/21_147/products_id/11133

Anyone else care to chime in about starting issue?

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 01:31:40 AM »
Becarefull jumping a scoot with a car or truck battery. its ok with the car turned off but dont do it with the car on. you can blow something. the cold weather is hard on scoots some start ok and some dont.
in the cold weather you need a good strong battery.and also you might wana try turning the idel screw up just a little. and in the winter you dont need a open air box the stock box is best in the winter.

Deejays50

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 01:34:15 AM »
I'll need to buy a stock airbox as well. They didn't include that either. People are careless.... may have been a bad buy. But it ran and drove so I figured "thats a start"

I'll look into the airbox idea and idle screw.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 04:27:33 AM »
Befor throwing to much money in to it give it a compression test that well tell you if it worth puting money in to it, if the test is above 120 you are good to go.......after that do a valve check. look the whole scoot over good carb plug good battery gas filter whatever you can think off good luck...

Deejays50

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 04:42:28 AM »
Befor throwing to much money in to it give it a compression test that well tell you if it worth puting money in to it, if the test is above 120 you are good to go.......after that do a valve check. look the whole scoot over good carb plug good battery gas filter whatever you can think off good luck...

I did a compression test and the number was somewhere around 90. He said its 80cc and "cammed"

I realize this may be low but when I rode it last it had a lot of power. If the compression was indeed low, wouldn't the starter have less trouble turning the motor?

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 09:39:28 AM »
Kickstarts on a cold day are no fun usually. I rarely use my kickstart unless my battery is flat or something. Better to look at fixing the electric start problem/starter problem if you can.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

Deejays50

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 03:56:12 PM »
Kickstarts on a cold day are no fun usually. I rarely use my kickstart unless my battery is flat or something. Better to look at fixing the electric start problem/starter problem if you can.

Any idea where to start? The starter sounds strong when the spark plug is removed. Is it possible the starter is weak? Or should I just wait until spring?

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 04:39:08 PM »
  When you check compression do it two ways , second time with a shot of oil into  cyl.,, and see what the differance is,

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 04:48:29 PM »
   did you put oil in cyl. and check compresion again, you should get a much higher reading,

Deejays50

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 05:10:22 PM »
   did you put oil in cyl. and check compresion again, you should get a much higher reading,

No it was a dry comp test. I'll spurt some oil in there and try again. I assume it will be much higher.

Deejays50

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2013, 10:02:05 PM »
Alright so I have posted a video of the compression test with a shot of oil in the cylinder, and what the engine sounds like with the issue I'm having.

I think you should know that currently there is no air filter on the carb intake. I'm thinking it may be a good idea to get the stock intake and new filter on there, see how things go, then run an open air filter when it gets hotter outside.

Let me know what you guys think.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2013, 10:26:00 PM »
that just sounds like a week battery. try to jump it with a car battery but keep the car off.........with the car runing you might blow something.your compresion is very good so no worry there.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 10:28:08 PM by blue »

Deejays50

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2013, 07:37:21 PM »
that just sounds like a week battery. try to jump it with a car battery but keep the car off.........with the car runing you might blow something.your compresion is very good so no worry there.

I'm going to try this with a fully charged lawn and garden battery today (its like 225CCA).

But look at this video I found on youtube... sounds just like mine.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()