Author Topic: Wife suggested I get a new scoot.....  (Read 7123 times)

robbp12

• View Profile
Re: Wife suggested I get a new scoot.....
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2013, 12:27:53 AM »
bought my early 2011 300 in February 2012, dealer wouldn't budge much paid 5400 out the door. 7 thousand miles later the DT still rocks!
no top case on mine, I bought side bags that strap over the passenger seat. also a biondi windshield. well worth the $180.00
2011 Orange DT300

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2013, 01:19:05 AM »
Karl, I told my wife that I was thinking about a new scoot.  It will still be while until I recover from THAT LOOK.

Richard L.

Really, it is 2 yrs old and only has a little over 3000 miles on it.

Lol! I told my wife also... there was absolute silence.... ;D

RubenC

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2013, 01:54:47 PM »
I had fun last night.  I cracked either 2 or 3 ribs.  I was exiting to the right onto a temporary ramp when a truck  in front of me who was going forward decided to turn right onto the ramp at the last minute (no signal).  It was either hit the truck or brake hard and fast.   I broke hard and fast then fell. I did not have a chance to put my feet down.    I landed hard on my right side.  My head and helmet hit the concrete road.  Some how, I was able to hit the kill switch.  My Tourmaster Epic jacket absorbed my elbow and shoulder hit. My 300 has scratches but no hardware was broken.  The truck kept going.  The truck behind me stopped, helped me picked up my 300 and asked if I was okay.  I caught my breath and rode home which was less than 5 minutes away.  My wife took me to Care Now.  They xrayed my chest area and determined that I crack the 4th, and 5th rib possibly the 6th rib as well on my right side. The cause of the cracks: my ribcage landing on my elbow.  My wife is upset but thankful that nothing else happened.

But the bad side is The Tarrant County Junior Livestock show is this weekend. My daughter is showing and selling her pig this weekend and I cannot help out.  I have to sit on the sidelines and watch. 

Ruben
From the Great Nation called Texas. Oops I mean the Great State called Texas

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2013, 05:36:07 PM »
I WILL have to admit, on my trip recently from TN to WA I had to negotiate many miles of snowpacked and icy roads in our KIA Soul with ABS. Several times I felt the system start pulsating in the pedal. I COULD still steer when the system was activated so you guys are on to something. Any of you with ABS on two wheels testify as to how well the system works? Anyone squeeze hard enough while on sandy spots on hard paving?

Ruben, I just saw your post. Are you saying that maybe ABS may have saved you pain and suffering? What a nasty fall! That joker did not even see you. Get better fast, please.

Karl
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 05:40:27 PM by CROSSBOLT »
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2013, 08:37:45 PM »
If the fall was a result of a front wheel skid (and it usually is), then ABS would have saved him.

You can do whatever you like with your brakes even on wet road with ABS, the bike will just stop.
60mph, wet road, full front brake only? Pulsating to a stop, no drama.

It's even better on my Downtown then it was on the Kawasaki (very old school, and still worked flawlessly
and saved me more then once when I was sure I wouldn't have stopped in time without it (I would have
had the balls to pull in the brakes as hard)).
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

RubenC

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2013, 09:29:42 PM »
If I had ABS,  the accident may not have happen.  I was in the process of accelerating to 20 MPH when it happened. Almost daily, I drive on this on-ramp loop.  I know that I cannot go faster than 20 MPH safely on this loop. I did not see any skid marks. 
From the Great Nation called Texas. Oops I mean the Great State called Texas

Urbestfriend

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2013, 11:08:42 PM »
Oh Ruben...If you don't have the air horn yet,  you might consider it.  I honk even if it looks like they think they may do something.

jwalz1

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2013, 08:37:56 PM »

That one looks more solid.  I might like the Shad one better, but I think the obstruction in front of the brake light would make me get a light kit for the top box for sure with that one.

For what it is worth, I took the plunge on the Givi rack from Tour and Ride, and put it on without purchasing the topcase yet.  This is the $100 Monokey rack at their site.  It is definately solid and will hold some weight.  They also have a givi with the same support as the Shad that Cortez mentioned.

I just picked the Givi because I liked their features better, but both Shad and GIVI cases are pricey. 

Not sure if it is exactly what you are looking for but the rack mount was solid. 

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2013, 08:46:09 PM »
I just picked the Givi because I liked their features better, but both Shad and GIVI cases are pricey. 

Which features?
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

jwalz1

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2013, 09:23:45 PM »
Well just things that I saw that most would not care about.  And I am not sure if SHAD's do not have some of these features, I just did not see them listed for any place I visited. 

Double wall case with rubber water proof seal.  Keyless entry.  Document compartment.  I think some have gas shock door hinges. 

I doubt most people want to pay the extra $90 for keyless entry, but I will just because I'd like it when carrying groceries. 

They both make nice cases with rear brake light kits.

SHAD's have better prices, but I figured I'd spend a few bucks for my stupid scooter hobby and liked the GIVI line.  The BIG Givi cases are priced ridiculously.

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2013, 09:28:34 PM »
Well just things that I saw that most would not care about.  And I am not sure if SHAD's do not have some of these features, I just did not see them listed for any place I visited.
Double wall case with rubber water proof seal.  Keyless entry.  Document compartment.  I think some have gas shock door hinges. 

Double wall on SH48, 49 and 50 only, much deeper groove too (then Kappa or Givi) so no chance of water getting in.
Keyless entry is a big sales point for SHAD, EVERY SINGLE ONE has it. Document compartment on SH50 only, probably,
and I removed it (it doesn't work). No gas hinges tho.

I doubt most people want to pay the extra $90 for keyless entry, but I will just because I'd like it when carrying groceries. 
They both make nice cases with rear brake light kits.

SHAD's have better prices, but I figured I'd spend a few bucks for my stupid scooter hobby and liked the GIVI line.  The BIG Givi cases are priced ridiculously.

Amen to that.
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

jwalz1

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2013, 09:32:46 PM »
Yeah I just watched a video and SHAD does seem to have the same features on the bigger cases and at a lower price.  I wanted a smaller case so I am getting the Givi Monokey 33 for starters and see how that goes. 

It looks like Shad has a pretty competitive product (and genuine Kymco color matching) but their website seemed pretty lacking at showing off the features.  At least what I looked at.  I found SHAD owners showing them off on Youtube pretty well just now, better than the SHAD site.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 09:34:30 PM by jwalz1 »

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2013, 09:49:20 PM »
Yeah I just watched a video and SHAD does seem to have the same features on the bigger cases and at a lower price.  I wanted a smaller case so I am getting the Givi Monokey 33 for starters and see how that goes. 

It looks like Shad has a pretty competitive product (and genuine Kymco color matching) but their website seemed pretty lacking at showing off the features.  At least what I looked at.  I found SHAD owners showing them off on Youtube pretty well just now, better than the SHAD site.

I've been rather familiar with SHAD for a while now so I don't see what's missing on the site.
Open up any topcase and you get the matched colors, stoplight and backrest mentioned.

That's about as much as most people want to know.
The double-sided walls etc isn't listed probably as most people don't even know that it exists or matters.

I went the "smaller case" route first too.
You don't want to know how it went.

Got a 35l Kappa for my Kawasaki in 2007.
Banging my head by the end of 2007 because I didn't get the biggest one, AND side cases.

Fast forward to 2013, I've got around 130l of storage on my scooter now, and want more
(topcase, tunnel bag, underseat).. can still do about 50+ liters in saddlebags.

You get obsessed with that stuff easy..

I wanted to park it in a ditch and go get a CBR600RR and a backpack today.
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2013, 02:53:40 PM »
I, with sadness, traded the faithful Yager for the DT 300i. I get emotional about machinery of nearly any kind and this was no exception. As good as the Yager is I am really impressed with the DT. It is very stable with even larger wheels and tires and longer wheelbase and it is noticeably more powerful! I really like the analog speedo and tach. Very steady and I will bet accurate. I will GPS the speedo and odo later. Nearly everything in the engine room is accessible with the seat and tub removed including the valve/cam cover for valve adjustment. I think it may take a while to adapt to the seat and legroom, however. The seat is comfortable and close to the ground. But you know old guys take a while to adapt to new stuff. I am overall VERY satisfied and impressed and maybe later will find something to complain about. Hope the Yager finds a good home.......

WAIT! There is no code 6! The DT has a battery symbol in the tach face that shows battery condition! Now all I have to do is ride! Well, there IS a code 6 but it is not for low battery voltage....

Karl
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 02:55:13 PM by CROSSBOLT »
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2013, 04:29:09 PM »
Crossbolt,

My dealer had a leftover model from the previous year and knocked $1,000 off sticker, but then added back $200 for a prep fee.  So the cost for the scoot and prep was $4600 plus tax and title.

I have seen people report similar prices on new scoots that were not year old leftovers but it all depends on the dealer.  I would look for AT LEAST $500 off the MSRP and low prep fees, but you can probably do even better than that depending on your willingness to haggle.

I just was a first time scooter buyer, made them think I might buy one on a lark and said "What is the best you can do on this one?"  and $4600 was what they came back with.  That was the extent of my haggling skills.

I don't think ABS is available in the US anyway but when working correctly, on wet, dusty or uneven pavement you can put all the force you want into the brake levers and the bike will maximize the stopping power without fear of locking up and going down.  When humans do it, we can keep it upright but extract less stopping power out of it because we can get as close to the maximum threshold as well as the computers and sensors.

I love ABS, even in cars, but the pulsating freaks some people out.  Saved my butt a couple times in my car and I was amazed how controlable the car was when it should have spun into a wall.  Serious pucker moment.

John
Big fan of ABS....wish the LIKE offered it. My newbie driving son used his ABS the other day. Guy in front of him on the interstate  stopped suddenly on an exit ramp. My son mashed the ABS, it worked , lady behind him didn't. She rear-ended him. It was pouring rain. ABS saved our insurance rates - as she was citied - and will pay for our repairs.
Would love to have ABS on any scooter. Told my son when he gets his first bike I'll pay the extra for the ABS additional cost.
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()