Author Topic: Moisture (droplets) inside the instrument cluster bezel  (Read 1380 times)

Charlie P

• View Profile
Moisture (droplets) inside the instrument cluster bezel
« on: March 03, 2013, 03:29:52 AM »
This past week after some really cold weather (down in the mid 20's-cold by Fort Worth, Texas standards) I brought out the Yager and found water droplets (like someone had mist sprayed water) in a bottom corner of the instrument cluster bezel :(  I got my 2010 Yager used (only 68 miles) in December 2012.  I keep it stored inside an unheated but insulated RV storage building but ride it some every time the weather permits ;D (I have put on over 1K miles since getting it).  I haven't spayed the dash with water or been in the rain - don't know about original owner.  Anyone know if the bezel can be detached and dryed out?
Charlie P.
2013 Xciting 500Ri ABS
formerly 2010 Yager & 2008 Grand Vista
Near Haslet, TX (NW of Fort Worth)

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
Re: Moisture (droplets) inside the instrument cluster bezel
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 12:02:58 PM »
It's quite easy to take apart;

I remember some fogging in my new one back in October when I bought it. It's not sealed much at all.
I guess we join Ducati in having moisture in the dash problems....

The problem is if you seal it and moisture is inside it's stuck there forever, if you open a vent then it
can come and go. There isn't a significant heat source in there to help keep it dry.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 12:05:23 PM by MotoRandy123 »
2012 Yager GT 200I - Southern NH

Charlie P

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 02:17:13 PM »
How did you get the cluster off of the dash?  Do you have to totally take apart the scooter front end?  Did you drill a vent hole or just dry and re-install?  Thanks
Charlie P.
2013 Xciting 500Ri ABS
formerly 2010 Yager & 2008 Grand Vista
Near Haslet, TX (NW of Fort Worth)

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 05:26:19 PM »
I took the whole front end off doing a preride inspection (He he just kidding). I had a lot of long
tye wraps and was looking the whole bike over              (see there's one right \/ there);

I just took it apart and dried it out, didn't think to modify it any. My old BMW has vents with GoreTex in them.
It supposedly keeps the moisture out...

There's only about 10 bolts to get the whole nose off.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 05:30:04 PM by MotoRandy123 »
2012 Yager GT 200I - Southern NH

Wil B.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 01:52:59 PM »
I've noticed this several times in the 2 years I've owned the mighty Yager.  Always just a temporary condition, the moisture drops just dried up or disappeared and no malfunctions were noted.

At this point with the scoot being very reliable, I'm inclined to disregard this as a quirk not worth my ripping apart the front end to check out.

Nice pictures, Randy!

Wil B.
Broadview, IL

'71 Guzzi Ambassador
'91 Nighthawk 750
'04 Kymco Super 9
'10 Kymco Yager 200gt

Wil B.

2010 Kymco Yager 200
2004 Ktmco Super 9
2014 Honda CTX
"I am not a number. I'm a FREE MAN!"