Author Topic: Summer riding jackets?  (Read 6011 times)

houndguy

• Fear the mangy mutt!
  • Your idiotism amuses me.
    • View Profile
    • Scooter Revolution!
Summer riding jackets?
« on: March 04, 2013, 03:37:11 PM »
Even though it's cool by Central Florida standards (53F) today...I know that the hot, humid dog days of summer are not that far off.

So I'm looking for a new "summer" jacket. In the past I would either go sans jacket or open it up all the way. Now after my   in December I'm not going without some sort of protection.

My black Vulcan jacket has served me well but frankly it's to hot.   So what I hope to find is something lighter, yellow or hi-vis which offers me protection but will still provide enough air flow to keep me cool. I would rather it be rainproof as well.

I turn to you, my fellow riders, for advice. I am a poor man and would like to keep the jacket under $150 if possible. Actually I like to keep it under $100 but lets be honest...that's not likely.

So...recommendations?

If it helps I'm about 6 foot tall (1.83 m) and between 200 - 210 pounds (90.7 to 95.3 Kilo). In either system I believe this is called "fat."
Just another scooter blog - http://www.2smallerwheels.blogspot.com

Urbestfriend

• View Profile
Re: Summer riding jackets?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 04:00:39 PM »
Search for ANSI Jackets.  These are the Lime Yellow or Orange with approved Reflective Tape.  There are Nylon Windbreakers
that I wear in the summer.   Usual cost around $25.00 + shipping.  However I did find some at a Magic Mart in West Virginia
for $7.00.  Stopped a couple of weeks ago again and they were all gone.  Check  TSA  (Transportation Safety Apparel) in Hilton Head.  As I've expressed many times,  "It primary to be seen".  I've had two bike accidents and wore these coats
both times.  Even though they got scuffed up a bit,  they still save your life when you're standing by your fallen bike day and night.  Currently I have Six and the two scuffed ones were passed on to my son,  who still wears them.  The best cold weather
jacket is the Port Authority,  Medium  weight with a comfortable fleece lining.

MaryK

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 05:09:39 PM »
We recommend a hi-vis mesh motorcycle jacket with armor.
We have and recommend the Fly Cool Pro model: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14/67/906/35145/ITEM/Fly-Racing-CoolPro-Mesh-Jacket.aspx
Motorcycle Superstore is a good site with good prices: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1328/MNGR/Hi-Viz-Motorcycle-Riding-Gear.aspx

The time to buy mesh gear is in the Fall.

Scoot safely,
New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

bleys

• Ride what you like, not what other's like.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 11:34:11 PM »
I have an Xelement mesh jacket for the summer, that I picked up at the Leatherup website for under a $100.  Well armored and the wind blows through it nicely.  I was comfortable in it in 90 degree weather.  However, when stopped it does get a little warm.  Still for a jacket with armor, it was more comfortable than I would have imagined.
Bill
Pawtucket, Rhode Island
2009 Xciting 250Ri - gone :(
2014 Honda CTX700N

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 03:18:04 AM »
I like leather the road rash dont hurt as much.the leather I have has a removeable liner you can take out. makes for a cooler leather in the summer.

Wiz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 05:20:20 PM »
I have a Teknic Legend perforated leather jacket that I wear when its hot out. You get a lot of airflow when you are moving, but it still gets hot when you are stopped. The jacket I have is no longer made (got a great deal in a close out) but you can just do a search on any MC Gear site for perforated leather.
http://www.motorcyclegear.com/browse/search?page=2&query=perforated+leather
Current Ride: Gold 2012 People GTI 300.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 06:04:23 PM »
The last two mesh jackets I bought were well under $100.  I got a fieldshear for $77 and Motoboss for $49.  Both are armored and offer reasonable protection.  I would not recommend a cheap mesh jacket for someone doing high speed sport riding but they offer pretty good protection for someone running around town on a scooter.

How well do mesh jackets work in a crash.  I crash tested one.  I hit a deer going around 65 and slid/tumbled to a stop entirely on the pavement.  I was wearing Joe Rocket mesh pants and jacket.  The only injury I got was some road rash on one elbow due to the jacket sleeve riding up.  This was my fault since I bought a jacket that was too large and loose fitting. 

The lesson from my crash was that riding gear should fit properly and have adjustment straps to keep the armor in place.  Although my to latest jackets are less expensive and seem less sturdy than my old Joe Rocket.  I think they would perform better since they fit much better.

If you hurry, you may find a good deal on a left over mesh jacket before the weather heats up. 
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 02:11:29 AM »
I use a Scorpion Torque hi viz jacket. It has a removable liner and front and rear zippered vents. Where I live in San Jose, CA the summer temps are in the 80s and I find the jacket very comfortable.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14/67/906/35717/ITEM/Scorpion-Torque-Jacket.aspx?WT.ac=SLIsearch

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 02:41:14 AM »
beautiful jacket troutbum, wish I could have that.... this is what I wear....  ;D

« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 02:43:43 AM by Vivo »

Scootaloot

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 04:34:28 PM »
I have a Fiedsheer mesh jacket that is Hi Vis which has seved me well for 2 years but I've had a problem with the flourescent yellow fading along the tops of the sleeves. I'm thinking of going for something with black on top of the sleeves. My daughter's soap box car was flourescent colors and faded within a few years which a body guy said is common with flourescent paint

keith217

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2013, 04:47:52 PM »
Lol. Guys a long sleeve T shirt is not going to protect you from road rash if you get run off the road -_-
Even in the summer times when its hot, its wise to use a good amount of protection so you don't bite the dust.
I got a cheap jacket from motorcyclehouse.com , they have expensive and cheap stuff so its up to you to buy whatever you want.

GPF590

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2013, 08:07:33 PM »
Hi all.

Revzilla has the Coolpro on closeout for $99.95.  I just happened to be looking at it the other day as I am going to need a summer jacket, eventually.  Just got my learners permit yesterday and now I have to register for the PA safety course. Woot!

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/fly-coolpro-jacket

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2013, 11:16:16 PM »
I like leather the road rash dont hurt as much.the leather I have has a removeable liner you can take out. makes for a cooler leather in the summer.

I agree with Blue. My leather has a removable thermal liner too for summer but i havent ever taken it out since it has 6 vents that you can unzip to let air in which is cool enough most days. If its real warm i usually just unzip the front about 1/3 down. Personally i dont like summer type jackets. I bought one when i 1st started scooting im a lluminous  yellow and black colour, it didnt keep rain out nearly as well as my leather and within a year or so and a couple of washes the colours had bled into each other so it just looked dirty all the time.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

Pimpy1

• Mo Hoes Power
    • View Profile
2011 Kymco Super 8 2t
2006 Kymco People 250

Joe7911

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2013, 12:49:54 PM »
I live in Miami and in summer gets hot and muggy but rains when least expected. After trying several jackets I got the Pokerun cool Cruise 2.0 mesh jacket with removable rain liner and armor.
It's a very nice looking has durable mesh and protection I take the back out but use the elbow and shoulder, its cool enough and if it gets cool out or starts to rain I put in the full rain liner also works for windbreaker on early mornings. The thing I like best it a nice looking jacket, you can go anywhere with it. Best part its the deal $89.99. I know there are some better jackets but the balance of budget, looks and keeping cool this was my solution. go to  http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/11/99/22155/ITEM/Pokerun-Cool-Cruise-2-0-Jacket.aspx . They still have them on sale and 3 different colors. Mine is all black but has reflecting piping.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()