Author Topic: Gear oil puking into airbox  (Read 1338 times)

bigalsnow

• View Profile
Gear oil puking into airbox
« on: March 11, 2013, 01:05:01 AM »
My new kymco super 8 with 30 miles is puking oil OUT of the upper breather tube in the rear hub, into the airbox.  I took filter covere off, and could definitely tell this is where it is coming from.  It is a gear oil, not motor oil.  My guess is the factory or dealer overfilled the rear hub and this is why this is happening.  I see a bolt about mid height in the rear hub that I would guess is the fill hole.  Is the full oil level supposed to be at the lower level of this bolt hole?  If this is the case, it seems it would be difficult to overfill.  Your thoughts and input appreciated, my dealer is quite a ways away, and if it is easy to fix I'd rather do it.

I'm also trying to find a dealer service manual in paper form, I can't find nothing online and that seems odd.  Any help there would also be appreciated.

Charlie P

• View Profile
Re: Gear oil puking into airbox
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 01:21:09 AM »
I don't have Super 8 but in the owner's manual for my Yager GT200i it specifies an exact amount of gear oil to put into the fill hole.  I've read in several forums that you should not fill to the bottom of the fill hole but to just put in the specified amount else it pukes gear oil out -at least on the Yager.  I went to a Wal-mart and bought a type of syringe in the automotive section-sometimes they are near the lawn mower section (called mix-mizer or something like that) that has a very small plastic tube instead of a needle.  The mix-mizer is designed to help measure oil for 2 cycle fuel.  It has markings that would indicate how much gear oil you "suck" up into the tube then you can "inject" the lube right into the fill hole.  Real easy and not messy either.

Perhaps you might consider draining all the gear oil out then refill with appropriate measured amount (provided your manual has the info in it).  This works for my Yager and perhaps would work in your situation.

Good luck.
Charlie P.
2013 Xciting 500Ri ABS
formerly 2010 Yager & 2008 Grand Vista
Near Haslet, TX (NW of Fort Worth)

b3ak3r

• View Profile
Re: Gear oil puking into airbox
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 06:26:40 AM »
I've read in several forums that you should not fill to the bottom of the fill hole but to just put in the specified amount else it pukes gear oil out.

That's definitely the case with the P150.  The manual actually says "fill to bottom of hole" but if you do it's WAY over what the specs say.  In addition to the airbox issue, over-filling the gearbox can cause a rear seal leak, which on the P150 can leak oil into the rear drum brake - not good.  Best to measure out the right amount.  Those oversized syringes are good for this sort of thing.
Riding between the raindrops in Portland, OR
--
2004 Kymco People 150

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()