Author Topic: Scooter Riding Season is Here  (Read 3398 times)

kingkymco125

• View Profile
Scooter Riding Season is Here
« on: March 13, 2013, 01:30:12 AM »
Hello everyone:
Spring is in the air here in Vegas and in the next few days I will finally be able to ride in T-shirts and shorts.  This is what I have been waiting for all winter. March, April, and May are the best months for riding in Vegas with the weather being just right. Happy riding peeps. 8)
David M.  Las Vegas, Nevada
New 2012 Kymco Agility 125cc bike

ts1

• View Profile
Re: Scooter Riding Season is Here
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 10:45:29 AM »
Subzero and heavy snowing in Germany.
Ice even on the highways, many accidents.
But (my) riding season is all year round.

MassScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 12:16:08 PM »
King: Depends on where you live brother! I'm up here in New England....so we don't get going until mid-April (maybe) Sucks we have such a short season! My 1st love is boating...so scooters take a back seat!
Gloucester, MA. (Home of the Perfect Storm)
2012 Silver Kymco GT300i (Biondi Windshield/Shad SH40 Cargo Topcase)
2015 White Honda PCX150 (Shad SH37 Topcase)
2013 Yellow Lance PCH125 (Shad SH33 Topcase)

Scott

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 05:04:41 PM »
And, how do those T shirts and shorts feel against hot Nevadan asphalt? ;D
Seattle, WA
2012 Super 8 150 (Blue)
Odo: 01235

kingkymco125

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 09:25:53 PM »
Scott: The black stuff is not too bad. The summer are hot and dry, but I wear a hydration pack to keep cool. I would rather ride in shorts and T-Shirts than having to ride when it is cold. I will be getting a summer armor jacket. Safety first is what I say.

bleys

• Ride what you like, not what other's like.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 11:25:01 PM »
Well, I was able to ride into work today...about 38 this morning so no danger of black ice, and about 52 on the ride home.  It felt good to be on the scooter....the ride to work and home always feels shorter and more fun on the scooter.  Won't be able to ride the rest of the week, but maybe again next week.  And MassScoot, it is riding weather in New England....at least today.
Bill
Pawtucket, Rhode Island
2009 Xciting 250Ri - gone :(
2014 Honda CTX700N

KymcoBW250Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 12:03:59 AM »
Like ts1 in Germany, I was riding in heavy snow a couple of times in the past 2 weeks. Year round baby!

I don't think t-shirt and shorts is ever a good idea, but that's just my opinion.
2002 Bet&Win 250, 26,000 miles
2003 Bet&Win 250, 47,000 miles
2006 Vitality 50, kitted to 70, 26,000 miles
Aurora, Colorado

Mike Green

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 01:58:15 AM »
Not to keep beating a dead horse... but one cool September evening last Fall I came home from work and changed into my armoured jacket and pants and full face helmet. I was not sure of my decision to get all decked out just for a short ride over on Emerald Mountain. I wore my 3/4 helmet the night before and it was more comfortable but that night I grabbed my full face helmet. Which was a good choice because my face was the first thing to hit the asphalt. I was having so much fun that I stayed out until dark and in my neck of the woods the deer are active and plentiful after dark. When the big doe ran in front of me and froze in my headlight all I could do was hit the brakes and the big Xciting500 locked up on me. (No ABS). I went over the windshield and managed to break 5 ribs, tear my right knee cartilage, and break a bone in my right foot. My jacket and pants were shredded like tissue paper and so were my elbows and knees. I shudder to think if I had been in shorts and a T-shirt. ATGATT!!!

kingkymco125

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 03:45:33 AM »
Mike Green:
I am glad you were okay. In the southwest U.S. we tend to warm up more quickly than the rest of the U.S. does. Those dears are deadly. I like it when the weather warms up. I did a five mile walk with one of the local hiking clubs here in Vegas and the weather was perfect for riding. Today we hit 81 here in the dessert. This is just perfect.  :)

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 10:27:43 AM »
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 10:31:31 AM by ts1 »

Scott

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 05:18:09 PM »
Only way I'll get any riding in here is with a detachable outboard motor and wheel pontoons.  KYMCO add-on...hmmm perhaps? ;D
Seattle, WA
2012 Super 8 150 (Blue)
Odo: 01235

Scootaloot

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 11:08:56 PM »
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell No! Ok maybe if there is ice or that four letter word that starts with S. I ride here all year in the DC suburbs although there are many days when a warm cage would be nice. Today she put in 126 miles with the day starting around 37 but the wind was brutal, 20ish mph. Just managed to get a windscreen on my Gt300 and it has made a huge difference in the cold. Stay safe my friends :)

MassScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 11:39:54 PM »
Well, I was able to ride into work today...about 38 this morning so no danger of black ice, and about 52 on the ride home.  It felt good to be on the scooter....the ride to work and home always feels shorter and more fun on the scooter.  Won't be able to ride the rest of the week, but maybe again next week.  And MassScoot, it is riding weather in New England....at least today.

Bleys: You make me laugh! I'm an old guy (47) & it was a great day yesterday......but I still not that brave my friend! Went to the Celtics game last night (section 11 row 1!!!!!) We beat the snot out of the Raptors! Temps dipped again tonight, so we are back to square one. My GTI300 is still @ the local dealership heated warehouse. I'll take her back @ the end of this month. Chime back then!   
Gloucester, MA. (Home of the Perfect Storm)
2012 Silver Kymco GT300i (Biondi Windshield/Shad SH40 Cargo Topcase)
2015 White Honda PCX150 (Shad SH37 Topcase)
2013 Yellow Lance PCH125 (Shad SH33 Topcase)

b3ak3r

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2013, 02:15:16 AM »
I actually kinda like winter riding.  Portland winters aren't all that cold, just damp.  Riding in the mist isn't so bad and that's what we usually have, not heavy downpours. I've got one of those Termoscud legcovers (http://scooterlegcovers.com/) plus the usual cold weather gear and generally arrive warm and dryish.  Worst season for me is late Fall after the leaves have fallen in the road and turned to slippery mush: best to just park the scoot until they wash away.
Riding between the raindrops in Portland, OR
--
2004 Kymco People 150

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2013, 02:39:34 AM »
Winter, spring, summer, fall... that's in your part of the world...here there's just two... Dry season and Wet season.... both great for scooter riding... I ride everyday, any weather, anytime.... ;)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()