Author Topic: Service questions  (Read 997 times)

mrmike

• Syuracuse, NY
    • View Profile
Service questions
« on: March 14, 2013, 02:40:55 PM »
  I have several questions about services and my warranty. Last month I bought a new (2012) People GTI300. I shopped around and found just what I wanted for a great ($4644.00 incl tax &prep) price. The dealer I bought it from is 105 miles from my home. I have 4 other Kymco dealers closer.

1. Can I take my scooter to any Kymco dealer for service and keep my warranty.

2. I have a heated garage, a motorcycle lift, and lots of tools. I'm a retired mechanic with over 50 years experience. I could probably do 95% of the
           work on my scooter myself. How much of my own work can I do & keep my warranty? What documentation do I need to back it up?
Blue '23 People S 150i ABS  Moto Discovery GPS bar, Shad SH33 top case, Iridium spark plug, Black reflective graphics, Battery Tender ring terminal cable, LED tag light.         
Past rides- '73 Honda 450, '00 Harley Softail Deuce, '10 Kymco People 150, '12 Kymco GTI 300, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i AB

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
Re: Service questions
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 03:33:38 PM »
You can take it to any authorized dealer and technically you can do all the work yourself.
You need to show receipts for stuff used in oil changes. Valve adjustments are tricky as
usually they stipulate a trained professional do those. So even if you can do a better job
than the local repair guy they can void your warranty if they feel you might have caused
the problem.
2012 Yager GT 200I - Southern NH

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 09:12:08 PM »
I agree with Randy. Additionally, in my opinion, you should be more than qualified to do 95% of the maintenance and be better at it than the shop guy and I don't even know you! Most of the shop guys are so hassled by shop owners and pencil-neck salesmen to do any job properly. Some of them are of minimal experience and the set-up guys are usually worse. I have had no serious issues with the first two Kymcos, an Agility 50 and the Yager. I put nearly 18000 miles on the Yager and set/checked the valves. Randy, you and me and most of the others on this forum can do routine and corrective maintenance and leave no tool marks of any kind. I am on the third Kymco, the DT 300i and expect I will be happy as a clam for the good long while. Something breaks like the frame and it will be on the trailer and at the dealer's so fast....other stuff I will do and write it down in the owner's manual.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

tjg358

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 08:49:02 PM »
Where can a guy find some of the specialty tool ( like 8 sided head lock nut tool) to work on these bikes?

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 07:36:36 AM »
Where can a guy find some of the specialty tool ( like 8 sided head lock nut tool) to work on these bikes?

This one?    http://www.gearhead.com/e010.html#/s/KYM//E010/1

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()