Author Topic: How much should i pay for a kymco  (Read 3637 times)

cooksham

• View Profile
How much should i pay for a kymco
« on: March 19, 2013, 03:34:47 AM »
I have never purchased a scooter and decided it was time to get one. i am looking at a 2007 kymco 200 people s and it has about 3000km on it. it has a little crack in the quarter panel and other scratches and dents in the plastic as well. They want 1600 bucks for it...is that a good deal or no? thanks!

eloisealsya

• View Profile
Re: How much should i pay for a kymco
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 05:50:31 AM »
As per my opinion it's better to purchase the new bike, because scooter is old one and also second hand things are not good for long working. Today we are having number of models , in online you can select best stylish bike at affordable price.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 05:53:35 AM by eloisealsya »
Quality and comfortable []Motorcycle clothing

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 12:01:20 PM »
Well KBB says retail is $1700 and trade in is $1110 so , with the damage,
I'd call it a little high. Of course it depends on where you are and what time
of year it is and so on...

http://www.kbb.com/motorcycles/kymco/people-s-200/2007-kymco-people-s-200/valuetype/

I'd offer $1200 and try to get him down to $1500. Price the damaged panel
and take that off the price or something.
2012 Yager GT 200I - Southern NH

cooksham

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 07:21:13 PM »
He is also throwing in a basket for the back and throwing on a 6 month warranty for it. Plus the 1600 is the out the door price with plates title and registration, it is a year long plate. Will this scooter last me awhile or is it going to die in 2 years? How long do these scooters usually last? I live in michigan and want to buy at the end of march! thanks!

johnson

• Johnson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 11:34:40 PM »
I just got a 2007 People S250 for $1800.  It had 526 miles on it.  I found one tiny scratch on the fender.  This was in Dayton, Ohio.  I drove up from Louisville to get it.  $160 for the van and gas.  There are a number of Craigslist apps that you can use to check prices in and around your area.   Read about the scooters you're interested in and about any scooters that are similar.   The more you know about a bike the better you can determine what YOU want to pay for it.  Do you want big wheels or small (under 16" wheels)?   How fast do you want to go?   Where will you be driving most of the time and where will you go occasionally?   Do you have friends that will let you drive their scooters?  Try them out.   Good luck shopping.  Let us know what you end up with.
People S250 - 2007
Honda Metropolitan - 2002
Lance Cali Classic 125 - 2012
Peace Verona 2012 - sold
Lance Cali Classic 50 - 2011 - sold

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 01:15:52 AM »
Better of new so you can have some kind of warrenty.

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 03:35:02 AM »
Since you don't have experience with a scooter, you should get a mechanic to look it over first or bring along a knowledgeable friend. Don't take the sellers word for anything. Get a third part opinion from someone you trust.

kingkymco125

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 05:47:21 PM »
If you have the money it is always better to buy new instead of used for scooters. If purchasing a 4 wheel vehicle, then buying used makes sense. All of my scooters that I have purchased have been new. I get to learn about the bike from the very beginning such as when to change the oil, drive belt, spark plug, clean the air filter and other necessities.  What I love about the Kymco bikes is that all of their new bikes come with a 2 year parts and labor warranty. Their bikes are built to last.
David M.  Las Vegas, Nevada
New 2012 Kymco Agility 125cc bike

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 02:00:06 AM »
I bought my 2009 peoples 200s in 2011 with 700 miles on it, it came with a bag on the back and full windscreen and no dents or scratches. Y9u can do better with price I think but you need to tell us what plates and things cost in your area.

with a 6 month warranty make sure everything you want to be covered will be. If you want to be an ass buy it, run the thing round the clock and drain the oil, when it no longer runs, get a new engine.

I'd try a slightly lower price and have fun with the bike.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

cooksham

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 02:34:42 PM »
Plates in my are would be about 80 bucks because it is for a whole year. I am stuck in between on either buying a brand new chinese 150cc scooter for 1200 bucks or buying the used 200 kymco for 1600 out the door. I would be driving on  roads that are 55 mph a lot but wouldnt mind getting on the highway here and there. I just dont know which one to get! And i obviously want one that is going to last...

maxhush

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 07:57:45 PM »
I would probably go the used Kymco (trying to do better on price) over the Chinese 150cc. There are some things that factor into going 55mph a lot and wanting to sometimes go faster (on an expressway). The riders weight is a factor. I started on a Honda SH150i (150cc) and it will do 55mph in most circumstances, once I get it there (not up a steep hill). I am, er, "fluffier" at this stage of my life than earlier. If I weighed 130 lbs, a 150cc would probably get me to 60-65MPH and keep me there in most circumstances. I can get the Honda 150cc up to 60MPH on a level, and usually maintain 55MPH unless the grade is long and steep if I'm already up to 55-60MPH when I hit it. I have not owned a 200cc, but I'd be betting that extra 50cc helps a lot (I've seen someone with the Kymco DT200i say they top out around 70MPH, weight of the rider, accessories like top cases, etc. being an unknown). If you are riding at 55MPH *a lot*, unless you're a fairly small (light) person, it'd be my gut feeling that you'd be happier with 200cc. Brand-wise Kymco is going to be better built and have a better service network than a generic Chinese scooter, generally.

That said, if financing is an option, I'd probably be looking at spending a bit more, using the current 1.9% (in the US), 0 down (they may want a deposit up front if they have to order it), 3 year financing and going new (some places you can knock some off the sticker, at the local Kymco dealer here, it seems to be about 10% or a little better on the higher end, I have not priced Kymco stuff on the lower end in 150 or 200cc). That also would get you the 2 year warranty if you have problems. (Like 200i or Like 200i LX, I guess are the current offering, if your local dealer has an older year around the showroom, there might be more room to deal as well). But, of course, none of us knows your exact circumstances.

I just got a new DT300i and skipped the 200cc, after having dealt with 150cc (which is still good for some things and I will continue to use it). One of my reasons was to be able to travel on expressways for longer trips (here, the the current speed limit on limited access 4-lane is 70MPH, and they are going to increase it on some to 75MPH, so I wanted to be able to comfortably do that, as well as to be able to allow for a passenger).
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 08:07:24 PM by maxhush »
2013 Kymco Downtown 300i
2010 Honda SH150i

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 09:40:50 PM »
If you want to go 55MPH a lot you'd better upsize over a People's 200, top speed is about 55 or so and it's not safe to operate on a road when your topped out all the time. It's bad for the bike and you can't speed up to pass or get out of someone's way. Forget if you have to get on a freeway that cars go 65=75 MPH, just not safe.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

cooksham

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2013, 02:55:04 PM »
I way about 175 pounds. I was told the Kymco goes about 70-75 MPH depending on actors. The 250cc goes abour 55-55 MPH. I think I am going to get the Kymco. He started at 1880 and i got him down to 1600 and got him to throw in a 6 month warranty and a box on the back. I think I might just bite the bit and ride it hard this summer and anything that is wrong with it will go bad and then he can replace it! Thanks for everything guys!

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2013, 11:17:22 PM »
I'm not sure what your not hearing, I am 175-180 lbs and I top out on my 09 Kymco peoples 200 at 57 MPH with the wind at my back and a long run up to that mark. You will be sadly disappointed when you get the bike and fine out I am correct and you can't reach 60+ MPH.

Whoever told you a 200s goes over 70 is selling you something you should not buy, sounds like a story to me, if they insist on this info, take a test drive with a GPS and see for yourself.

johnson

• Johnson
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2013, 04:57:04 AM »
B4 you jump, look at some numbers.  That People 200 is actually a 163cc engine.  Very few true 200cc bikes out there.  The People 200 GTI being one of the few.  But you're not looking at a GTI, just an S model.  You run a 163cc engine at 55mph constantly and you'll have a toasted engine real quick.  Most people want to believe their scooter is the special one that really goes as fast as the speedo indicates.  NOT!!!   Everything with two wheels reads optimistically when you put it to the GPS test.  Some as much at 15%.  Most around 8 to 10%.  My Cali 125cc with it's "fancy" ceramic coated engine reads 53mph and a buddies GPS says 48mph.  On the same stretch a woman with a Chinese scoot swore we were doing 60mph and was adamant about it. 

If you need cruising speed to get back and forth from work (or play) and need 60mph, then you need a 250cc.  Or at least a true 200cc scoot.  Most 250 scoots are pretty close to being 250cc's.  Don't know why the manufacturers play so loose with the 200 range of bikes but they do. 

You can't believe everything you see on the internet.  Check the different forums and find out what people are riding and you'll see mostly "real" speed info.   Even if safety wasn't an issue, you don't want to ride your bike at WOT all the time.  Engines just can't take it. 

People S250 - 2007
Honda Metropolitan - 2002
Lance Cali Classic 125 - 2012
Peace Verona 2012 - sold
Lance Cali Classic 50 - 2011 - sold

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()