Author Topic: My first scoot, opinions?  (Read 1780 times)

Griff

• View Profile
My first scoot, opinions?
« on: March 22, 2013, 02:07:46 AM »
Hello there!

I am new to scooters, never ridden one actually.  I do have 30 years motorcyle experience under my belt however.  Always owned cruisers, ridden plenty of sort bikes as well. 

Decided to get a scoot this year to take the heat off my very thirsty truck.  Been shopping around for a month or so and the shop nearest me has bee accommodating, low pressure, and extremely honest and helpful. 

Use for my scoot....   Around town for me is semi rural.  For this reason alone I don't think a 150 is near enough.  Really need that midrange torque that I can only imagine is absent in a 150 set up.  Commute to work is 15 miles of very unpleasant highway plus 6-7 miles of 35-45 mph roads.  I don't have to take the highway, can do back roads instead.  Adds a solid 10 minutes to the commute though.  I actually strongly dislike highways even on large displacement cruisers I've had in the past.

2010 xciting 500 - 1300 miles, never titled demo.  Metal floor plates, dc outlet up front, shad box, upgraded rear spring.  5500 otd

2009 bv 250 - 2 miles, never titled.  He'd add the same shad box.   Mid 4 otd.

Both have full mfg warranty.  500 has been ridden recently, the bv has obviously not with 2 miles.  That the bv has sat so long worries me a bit.  Yes there is no wear on the bike but there is 4 years of age.  Should I fear what's happened during those first 1300 miles on the x500?  Dealer states he purchased from kymco.

I know they are two totally different animals, but they'd both do the job in completely different ways.  Basically, does one seem like a better deal?  Does one jump out at you guys?  If I knew scoots a little better I would feel more confident.  Thanks in advance. 

Vivo

• View Profile
Re: My first scoot, opinions?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 02:32:32 AM »
Generally speaking, there are risks in considering a used vehicle, be it a car , bike, or scoot... Use your motorcycle/mechanical experience in buying a used scoot.  Visual inspection is a first, and it will tell you lots of stories... condition of the grips, tires, body panels, plastics will tell you how it was used or abused or stored regardless of what brand it is and what year it was purchased... I'd start with the Xciting500... ;)

Griff

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 02:58:19 AM »
They both pass the eye test Vivo.  The bv has never been prepped.  It seems frozen in time.  Tires appear ok, battery has no acid.  Thing is its been sitting for 3-4 years and never been run.  No idea what to look for other than what I can see and it looks fine.  My budget is 5k and I'm already past that on the 500.  I think it's the money that's holding me back.  Nether seems to be a deal that fairly reflects the 3 and 4 year depreciation I'm having to absorb.  While these are both considered new, I think I need more of a discount. 

Going to let him know he needs to get a little more aggressive as it will most likely be the best deal that wins out between the two.  I really want him to take my cash, but we aren't there on either.  Am I off base or are these prices fair?   ;D

houndguy

• Fear the mangy mutt!
  • Your idiotism amuses me.
    • View Profile
    • Scooter Revolution!
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 04:28:49 AM »
I'm thinking I overpaid for my 08 Xciting 500  now because I paid the same for it that your dealer is asking for a "newer" bike with Shad case.

I think the 500 would more than meet all your needs based on your description.  Welcome to the dark side of the motorcycling world.
Just another scooter blog - http://www.2smallerwheels.blogspot.com

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 05:18:48 AM »
   seems I have seen 300i downtown or 300i gt. for that same price line ,. new out the door, are you in usa or canada,.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 05:27:43 AM »
Yeah, I'd go brand new... ;)

Griff

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 12:15:12 PM »
Hound thx for letting me know the 500 would cover my needs.  That's the appeal.  Go anywhere with comfort.

I am in the US.  The dt's brought me to the shop.  Spec wise they are perfect for what I want.  Would even stretch my budget to buy one. The traditional style one made me feel very unstable.  No confidence sitting on it and I have quite a few miles on two wheels.  The sportier one, love it!  Sat on it and love was over.  It has one seating position and that's it.  Totally bums me out.  Price is in line with what you've seen de dee. 

Whole thing is kinda frustrating.  There are few options between little runaround scooters and big cruisers.  Maybe I will take a look at the dt's one more time.  Wish scooter makers understood that in North America folks want more than a 150cc motor offers but big cruisers are often overkill. 

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 01:00:27 PM »
The X500 can handle highways very well. Solid chassis, good weather protection. Give it a try!
But it's not optimized for historic narrow streets and squeezing through the congestion.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 09:17:51 PM »
I bought my first scooter over two years ago.  Like you I had over 30 years motorcycle riding experience.  I got a Super 8 150.  This has turned out to be one of the most fun bikes I have ever owned.  I ride it nearly every day and have over 10,500 miles on it.  It runs better now than when it was new.  Personally I think smaller is more fun as long as it is fast enough to run at the speeds you need.  I also got an Aprilia Sport City 250 for 2 up riding and have put over 14,000 miles on it in 2 years.  It has the same engine as the BV250 and has enough power to run at highway speeds 2 up as long as there are no steep hills. I almost bought a BV250 but I got the SC250 for significantly significantly less $$.  I have documented some of my scooter rides here:  http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=647784

If you are concerned about 250 being big enough, I did a 2100 mile 8 state trip on my 250 and documented it here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=803404
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 09:26:42 PM by klaviator »
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Scootaloot

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2013, 09:27:28 PM »
Griff, I owned an '07 BV 250. '09 is injected my was carbed. There were things I liked about her as I put 32K in 3 yrs but if you need a part other than a belt or filter you may feel unloved :( I had an exhaust stud break inside the head which seems to be a fairly common problem, vaccum leak, and coolant system issues but the straw that broke the camel's back was the 2 months it took to get fork seals. I bought a '12 300 gti last April and have had no issues during the first 16K miles :) $5246 otd

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2013, 10:34:35 PM »
I had the same problem with my Aprilia, it took 3 months to get any parts...
2012 Yager GT 200I - Southern NH

Blackbeard

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 04:07:33 AM »
Griff!

Look at Parts Support, as part of your Research.  There's a Vespa/Piaggio Dealer within 3 miles of home, but their Parts Support comes directly from Italy.  That's why some of the Lead Times for Parts noted above, take so long.

Kymco, however, has Parts Support from Kymco's Distribution Center in Spartanburg, South Carolina.  I'm on my 3rd Kymco (I had a People S200, People S250, and now my recently purchased People GTi300.....).  I can't say enough about the superior quality of Kymco's.  They're amazing machines!  My Kymco Dealer is 26 miles from my home, but I know I can get Faster Service and Parts Support from them.  I've been a Customer of that shop since 2007.  They allow Test Rides on Demo's, while the local Vespa/Piaggio Dealer don't allow Test Rides..... until you buy it.  I'm not spending $6,500 on ANYTHING..... until I ride it first!

Look at what you're paying for Dealer Prep, Freight, TTL, and all of the other FEES added in.  For instance, a Piaggio BV350, would cost me $5,500, then add on an additional $1K for all of the afore mentioned FEES, making my purchase $6,500.  I paid $5,700 for my 2012 GTi300 OTD, with 1 Mile on it.  The FEES came up to just over $700, and this was a Cash Purchase.

Maybe you might want to consider Shopping around at your Kymco Dealer a bit more, and Test Ride a few more models.  I Test Rode a Downtown 300i, SYM Citycom 300i, from the same Dealer, and they were too cramped for Leg Room for my 6'1" Height.  The GTi300 was PERFECT, the moment me arse hit the seat.  Plenty of Seating Area and Leg Room.  Not to mention the 299cc's 29 Ponies under the Hood, and 16" Wheels front and rear.  He's a Screamin' Machine!

Not sure if you're a Military Veteran or not, but if you are, and you buy a Kymco 150cc or Higher through June 30th, Kymco knocks off an Instant $200 off of the Price.

Also, anyone that buys a Kymco through April 30th, Kymco sends you a FREE $100 Gas Card, for a purchase of 110cc's or Higher!  Can't beat that Deal with a stick!  I qualified for both, and am waiting for my Gas Card (4-6 weeks, and I purchased on 3/22.).

Best of Luck, and PLEASE let us know what you decide to do!

Cheers!

BB
Blackbeard

"The Floggings will continue until Morale improves"!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()