Author Topic: Obstruction making gas fill up difficult  (Read 3288 times)

tclhb

• View Profile
Obstruction making gas fill up difficult
« on: March 30, 2013, 03:39:07 AM »
I just did my first gas up on my new Like 200i. There's a bar that runs across the filler tube that prevented insertion of the nozzle more than a couple inches. I had to hold the vapor recover seal of the pump back with my fingers for the gas pump to work. That left my fingers stinking like gasoline. Anyone know a work around?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 03:42:31 AM by tclhb »
Tom. Huntington Beach, California

tclhb

• View Profile
Re: Obstruction making gas fill up difficult
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 03:41:41 AM »
I had to walk my scooter about one mile to the gas station. The gas gauge sweeps from right to left, what the heck? I thought the shop where I bought gave me a full tank of gas. It was near empty! I guess I need to pay closer attention.

tclhb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 04:45:57 PM »
Hey everyone! My name is Tom. I live in Huntington Beach California. I have owned four street motorcycles before. When I was a kid I had a couple of mini bikes. I just recently got the bug again to get a two wheeler, and have been noticing the scooters around town and though they looked like fun. My Like 200i is almost one week old. I'm glad his forum is here. I hope to learn and share what I learn about my new toy.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 02:26:51 AM »
Welcome tclhb! Just got back from a long weekend trip... In our country, we observe the lenten season... No work from holy thursday up to easter sunday... That's riding week for me!  Anyway, I also have that bar across the filler tube.. don't really know what it is but doesnt interfere with my filling up... at least that's the gas boy's problem...

Come to think of it, I think that bar is to prevent the nozzle from entering into the tank or for the gasoline boy to leave the nozzle unattended and be submerged in the fuel because once the nozzle is submerged, chances are.. gasoline will gush out because of the pressure... You just have to easily fill the tank up...carefully and attentively,,... well that's my theory...
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 02:33:29 AM by Vivo »

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 03:18:09 AM »
Hello, I used to live in California and had to deal with those GREEN nozzles. In Oregon we have the nozzles with no rubber shrouds around. You might want to invest in a gasolne can for home use. That way you can fill up without having to hold back the rubber shroud on the pump. You could also saw out the obstruction. If you do put some sort of filter UNDER the bar so that you don't fill your tank with filings. Hope this helps...Len ;)
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

tclhb

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 03:50:01 AM »
Thank you very much Vivo and big blue for your help! Ok, sounds like a trip to the store to look at gas cans is in order.

tclhb

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 03:52:22 AM »
What country are you from Vivo?

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 05:13:19 AM »
What country are you from Vivo?

Philippines....97°F and rising!.... scooter seat cooks my ass.... 

I guess the gas nozzle differ from one country to another... here, they're all the same...

tclhb

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 02:14:45 PM »
Oh cool! Or hot? Yeah, your gas nozzles are probably Kymco friendly.

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 04:25:26 PM »
Philippines....97°F and rising!.... scooter seat cooks my ass.... 

I guess the gas nozzle differ from one country to another... here, they're all the same...

The nozzles in California(and elsewhere) close over the fuel inlet to stop vapors from reaching the atmosphere. Any stray vapors are then drawn back into the pump by a second smaller hose on the nozzle. The problem is that if not fully inserted in the filler neck, no gas can be dispensed or it pops back from the filler. It's a real pain if all you need is a gallon or two!

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 11:43:45 PM »
I live in Cali north of you in San Jose. I use that obstruction bar as a gauge to determine my fill line. You don't want to fill the tank into the neck (beyond the bar) as the cap insert will push gas through the overflow tube and run out on your floorboard between the center stand and side stand. Ask me how I know.  :-[

Pulling back on the vapor boot is pretty easy and the tank fills soon enough as it is small, around 1.6 gallons.

I have put over 2,200 miles on my '12 Like 200i that I bought back in July of last year. Except for two bad OEM batteries, the scooter has been flawless.

tclhb

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2013, 04:01:07 AM »
You just gave me an idea trout. I'll try it again, except this time I'll try pulling back on the outside of the vapor recovery seal instead of wrapping my fingers underneath. If that doesn't work then I'm buying a gas can.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2013, 05:57:19 AM »

or get a boot retainer tool...... ;)

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2013, 05:10:10 PM »
Cool tool Vivo! ;)