Author Topic: Michelin PP SC tire pressure?  (Read 2905 times)

maxhush

• View Profile
Michelin PP SC tire pressure?
« on: April 03, 2013, 09:11:15 PM »
What front and rear tire pressure (psi) are folks running the Michelin Power Pure SC tires on their DT300's using? (And if you got recommendation info, from whence did you obtain it?).
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 09:34:17 PM by maxhush »
2013 Kymco Downtown 300i
2010 Honda SH150i

PassedByAScooter

• View Profile
Re: Michelin PP SC tire pressure?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 10:32:35 PM »
I don't have the DT300; but, boy, I've never gone by the factory/stamped PSI. I've always started on the high end, and adjusted on the fly. I'm usually several PSI lower than the stamp on the tire. You can probably get an idea from others, but chances are you'll still want to find that 'happy' spot where the ride is smooth and comfortable for you.  Just my two cents ;)

PBAS

2010 Kymco Yager
2009 Kymco Agility 125

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 03:21:53 PM »
What front and rear tire pressure (psi) are folks running the Michelin Power Pure SC tires on their DT300's using? (And if you got recommendation info, from whence did you obtain it?).

Is there any reason not to use the pressure specified in the manual?

You'll get 2 types of answers:
1) I use what the sidewall says.
2) I use what the manual says.

Any maybe one or two people with enough experience and different tires on the same bike with
different numbers for each tire make.

The people who say you should use what the tire sidewall says are clueless and are gonna
crash eventually. That number is there for a different reason.

I used a tiny bit lower front pressure on the stock kenda tires then what the manual says, and
exactly what the manual says for the power pures, just aired up a bit for the rear when traveling
2up.
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

maxhush

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 05:20:30 PM »
Thanks, Cortez, that's pretty much what I've been doing (using the 32 rear, 29 front manual recommendation as a starting point and coming down a pound or so). I am relatively new to two wheelers in general, and I wasn't sure if the difference in tire brands would invalidate the manuals recommendations (I'd assume based on the stock Kendas) or not (obviously, you don't want to exceed the sidewalls in any event, which on the Michelin PPs is 33 max PSI front and rear, I think...do you know for sure offhand? It's difficult for me to find and read the max PSI on the sidewall of the mounted tires even with reading glasses..the dealer tech that mounted the Michelins inflated them to something like 29 rear and 25 front, which seemed too low to me). The manual recommends the same pressure for 1 or 2-up riding.

I did ride 2-up the other day (for the first time, ever), adjusted the suspension to the maximum of 5, and used the 32 rear and 29 front pressures and it all went well. The suspension adjustment (which was set at 3) was a bit of a bear to get to turn, going upward to 5, the first time with the spanner, but adjusts more easily now. What do you normally leave your suspension set at for riding one-up? (You and I are approximately the same size and weight, I believe, which makes reading your postings and replies very useful for me). The 3 setting? (That is what mine came set to initially). That 300cc engine seemed to have no trouble at all up hill and down on 2-lane backroads maintaining 55MPH with little effort (it sounded a little throatier than riding one-up) and got up to 70 (and would have gone further) 2-up on the straight level (I certainly didn't try for more and was actually a little surprised when I realized that it had gotten to 70 because I wasn't really trying to, just accelerating to maintain speed with traffic at the time). I did find I am shifted a little further forward in the seat 2-up and getting my feet back up was a little more effort than riding solo.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 05:30:38 PM by maxhush »
2013 Kymco Downtown 300i
2010 Honda SH150i

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 02:26:31 PM »
Thanks, Cortez, that's pretty much what I've been doing (using the 32 rear, 29 front manual recommendation as a starting point and coming down a pound or so). I am relatively new to two wheelers in general, and I wasn't sure if the difference in tire brands would invalidate the manuals recommendations (I'd assume based on the stock Kendas) or not (obviously, you don't want to exceed the sidewalls in any event, which on the Michelin PPs is 33 max PSI front and rear, I think...do you know for sure offhand? It's difficult for me to find and read the max PSI on the sidewall of the mounted tires even with reading glasses..the dealer tech that mounted the Michelins inflated them to something like 29 rear and 25 front, which seemed too low to me). The manual recommends the same pressure for 1 or 2-up riding.

I've noticed that the Michelins handle up to 5% more air great and don't like to go under manual specs as they start to get
nervous under me. The Kendas worked fine underinflated, which I did a lot on the front to get more grip.

I did ride 2-up the other day (for the first time, ever), adjusted the suspension to the maximum of 5, and used the 32 rear and 29 front pressures and it all went well. The suspension adjustment (which was set at 3) was a bit of a bear to get to turn, going upward to 5, the first time with the spanner, but adjusts more easily now. What do you normally leave your suspension set at for riding one-up? (You and I are approximately the same size and weight, I believe, which makes reading your postings and replies very useful for me). The 3 setting? (That is what mine came set to initially). That 300cc engine seemed to have no trouble at all up hill and down on 2-lane backroads maintaining 55MPH with little effort (it sounded a little throatier than riding one-up) and got up to 70 (and would have gone further) 2-up on the straight level (I certainly didn't try for more and was actually a little surprised when I realized that it had gotten to 70 because I wasn't really trying to, just accelerating to maintain speed with traffic at the time). I did find I am shifted a little further forward in the seat 2-up and getting my feet back up was a little more effort than riding solo.

I never went above 3 for the rear preload, and since all my 2up trips were rather short, I didn't bother bumping it up either, but
I would have used 4 for 2up with luggage. My topcase is also very heavy (the SH50 alone weighs more then some smaller cases full of stuff).

I actually wanted a softer ride then what the 3rd setting offered when I first tried playing with it (not that, sick bastards), so I tried '2' and it
made the front feel vague and disconnected (and that's initially a thing that all scooters suck at anyways, so I don't want to make it worse).

Thankfully, with miles piling on, both front and rear got softer as time went by and around 10k miles on the ODO I can say that it's a lot
more comfortable. It'll never be a Majesty or a Burgman, though.
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 01:31:30 AM »
The Chengs arent affected by a pound or 2 of pressure, they are like solid rubber! Lol!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()