Author Topic: MSF Scooter Basic Rider Course  (Read 3572 times)

PassedByAScooter

• View Profile
MSF Scooter Basic Rider Course
« on: April 03, 2013, 11:00:06 PM »
I'm about to send my wife for some training! lol It's been several years since I've take my course, but it's nice to know our lovely state of Vermont has vastly expanded their course offerings. One that I've never seen before is the Scooter Basic Rider Course. Anyway, here's my question (s):

Has anyone taken the Scooter Basic Rider Course? If so, how was your experience? As well, does anyone know if it really differs from the motorcycle portion? Does just taking the scooter course restrict you on your motorcycle license?

This is information that I've tried to find, and I've found some. However, I like to hear from those that have experienced the course.

Thanks in advance!

PBAS 8)

2010 Kymco Yager
2009 Kymco Agility 125

Blackbeard

• View Profile
Re: MSF Scooter Basic Rider Course
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 12:33:17 AM »
Sorry, I haven't taken the Course (I'm in Texas), but just wanted to add these Links for you, if you haven't seen them yet:

http://dmv.vermont.gov/safety/training/motorcycle

http://www.msf-usa.org/scooterschool.cfm

http://dmv.vermont.gov/licenses/drivers/motorcycles

http://www.dmv.org/vt-vermont/other-types.php

Looks like the Motorcycle Course is 18 hrs, and the Scooter Course is 15 hrs.

Hope some of your Neighbors respond with some helpful info for you!

Best of Luck!

Cheers!

BB
Blackbeard

"The Floggings will continue until Morale improves"!

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 05:27:38 AM »
I never had any riding course... just lots of tumbles, slides, and crashes in the early 70's during high school days...  :P   Anyway, it's good to take one....

91cavgt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 09:26:31 PM »
In Texas you can take the scooter school, but it does not replace the Motorcycle Safety Course that you must take in order to get your class M license.  I looked into the scooter school here and it is only 4 hours.  I found a Motorcycle Safety Course that has scooters to use to take the class to help get your M class license, which is what I'll be doing on April 13th and 14th. 
2012 Like 200i  in black

houndguy

• Fear the mangy mutt!
  • Your idiotism amuses me.
    • View Profile
    • Scooter Revolution!
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 12:48:40 PM »
Here in Florida the licensing is the same although you can take the basic course on a scooter.   http://www.floridasafety.org/courselist.asp?cat=8
Just another scooter blog - http://www.2smallerwheels.blogspot.com

ScooterCommuter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 01:21:02 PM »
Here in MN you can take the test at the DMV whether or not you've taken the course, but if you take the course and pass there you get a waiver from taking the test again at the DMV. Has to be the full course, scooter school doesn't count but you can take the full course on a scoot so long as it's bigger than a 50.

Rumor also has it, although it is just a rumor, that the guys at the DMV try very hard to fail anyone who hasn't taken the course. Not that this should matter much, since everyone should take the course anyway.

houndguy

• Fear the mangy mutt!
  • Your idiotism amuses me.
    • View Profile
    • Scooter Revolution!
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 01:13:26 PM »
Here in MN you can take the test at the DMV whether or not you've taken the course, but if you take the course and pass there you get a waiver from taking the test again at the DMV. Has to be the full course, scooter school doesn't count but you can take the full course on a scoot so long as it's bigger than a 50.

Rumor also has it, although it is just a rumor, that the guys at the DMV try very hard to fail anyone who hasn't taken the course. Not that this should matter much, since everyone should take the course anyway.

As they should.

I'm not trying to be mean that I know several riders that have never taken the course.  That does not mean they are bad riders but honestly your better off learning from a trained professional.

You less likely to pick up bad habits.
Just another scooter blog - http://www.2smallerwheels.blogspot.com

PassedByAScooter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 01:27:13 PM »
Thanks for the replies all. Judging from what I read, all states can be somewhat different. My state doesn't really spell things out clearly in regards to scooters - or I'm overlooking information. I think I'm gonna have to call.

I agree, too, that the course is extremely valuable. IMO, all riders should have to take it. I thought I new everything, but the weekend course taught me a great deal. Much of which I still use today.

PBAS

2010 Kymco Yager
2009 Kymco Agility 125

ScooterCommuter

• View Profile
Re: Re: MSF Scooter Basic Rider Course
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 05:37:28 PM »
As they should.

I'm not trying to be mean that I know several riders that have never taken the course.  That does not mean they are bad riders but honestly your better off learning from a trained professional.

You less likely to pick up bad habits.

Couldn't agree more.  I took an equivalent course in the uk back when I got my first motorcycle license in my misspent youth, and over here took it again, just to help get rid of some of the bad habits I had acquired over the years in between.

kingkymco125

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 06:56:04 AM »
I have not taken the Motorcycle riding course yet, but I am working on it now that I have a 125cc agility bike. I heard the course was pretty easy and it is best to take it over at the Community College of Southern Nevada which runs for $80.00 of two days of training. I will have my M class soon.
David M.  Las Vegas, Nevada
New 2012 Kymco Agility 125cc bike

PassedByAScooter

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 12:01:04 PM »
I have not taken the Motorcycle riding course yet, but I am working on it now that I have a 125cc agility bike. I heard the course was pretty easy and it is best to take it over at the Community College of Southern Nevada which runs for $80.00 of two days of training. I will have my M class soon.

Awesome! $80 is a sweet deal. The course is $175 here! Ouch!!!

2010 Kymco Yager
2009 Kymco Agility 125

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 09:15:42 PM »
I took the coarse two years ago cost was $ 450.00  so come to canada and really get soaked,.   and the instructors said they volenteer there time,.  it could be a good will tax ha ha ,.

PassedByAScooter

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2013, 07:48:34 PM »
I took the coarse two years ago cost was $ 450.00  so come to canada and really get soaked,.   and the instructors said they volenteer there time,.  it could be a good will tax ha ha ,.

WOW, $450!?! That's a disservice to the community, really. They're making training unaffordable for a lot of people for that price - which makes the roads less safe for the riders and drivers. I paid $225 several years back. The price has come down $50, but at $175 here, it's still too much! lol

2010 Kymco Yager
2009 Kymco Agility 125

mnpugdog

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2013, 12:58:04 AM »
I took the course here in Minnesota and just used their 250cc motorcycles So I am comfortable using that or my scooter. A little more power then my moped from high school. :o

Calothrix

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2013, 01:33:52 AM »
mnpugdog,

I see you own a TNG GS-150 and you're averaging 117.8 mpg.  That's amazing!  I never heard of TNG but when I did a little research, I see it is also carburated like my People 150, which gets around 70 mpg.  What is the quality of the TNG?  Have you ever ridden a People 150 and if so, how do the two bikes compare?  Nice looking bike!   

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()