Author Topic: Is $372.92 good for first 600 mile Like service?  (Read 4840 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Is $372.92 good for first 600 mile Like service?
« on: April 20, 2013, 07:49:18 PM »
Hello,
Would really like to hear what other Like 200i owners are paying for their first 600 mile serice.
My dealer quoted me $372, which includes:
replace oil, clean screen
replace gear oil
replace air filter
replace spark plug
adjust valves
look at 'carburetor' (! didn't know I had one of those and EFI) , brakes, wheels, aircleaner  and shocks
Total: $23.52 for parts
Labor & tax= $349.40

This is more than 10% of what I paid for the scooter.
Well, even if owners tell me it's a fair price , I'm now very inspired to get out the tools & feeler gauge that I used on all 4 of my old VWs -and do all of this stuff myself. Besides, it's very therapeutic.
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
Re: Is $372.92 good for first 600 mile Like service?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 08:13:18 PM »
Seems a little on the high side. It doesn't need spark plug or air filter at 600 miles but
might take 2 hours to do everything. Say $75 per hour would bring it to $180, not sure
why it's $372... I'd do it myself, just keep your slips for the oil and filter.
2012 Yager GT 200I - Southern NH

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 08:50:03 PM »
My dealer threw in the first service as part of the sale. I only paid for the plug ($2.50) and the said valves don't get done until 1500 miles. At that service I paid $139 for full service including valves. This dealer is only a scooter outlet-Genuine,Kymco and Sym. They even picked it up and delivered it to my drive at no extra fee. They are 20 miles away! Albany Powersports in Albany Oregon.
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 06:20:59 AM »
When it comes to Kymco every dealer seems to follow a different service interval. If I follow my manual the first service should have been around 300 miles with and oil change. The second at 600 miles with engine and hub oil change. Every service after that is at 1,200 mile intervals. My dealer told me to come in for the first at 600 miles. They charged me $230. It covered oil change for the engine and hub. Valve adjustment. Cleaning of air filter. Tightening of bolts and screws. General safety check like lights, battery, tire pressure, brake wear, steering head play and throttle play. They cleaned and lubricated the side and center stands. And finished with detailing to give it that just purchased clean look.

There is no carb on the Like 200i. The "i" indicates fuel injection.

Unfortunately scooter repair can be costly. Competition is not there leaving the consumer at the mercy of the shop.

Since my dealer insisted on 3000 miles between the last service at 600 miles I did my own service at 1,800 miles to follow the owners manual. Changing both the engine and hub oil take all of a 1/2 hour. I wanted to stay with the same brand of lubricants as my shop so I bought BMW engine oil and BMW gear oil for a total cost of $34. Since the shop had done the valve adjustment at 600 miles I skipped that requirement. Cleaning the air filter element was easy enough as it was relatively clean. Just a blast of air from my neighbor's air compressor. Safety check is easy enough not a lot of time required there. Total time spent was just a tad over an hour. I plan on having the dealer do ever other service as they have electronics (for diagnostics) I don't have. I also don't want to abandon my dealer completely because I do appreciate having one available. All to often you hear of scooterist stranded as they don't do their  own repairs and their dealer went belly up.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 06:23:16 AM by TroutBum »

SonicSix

• 2012 Like 200i
    • View Profile
    • My Scooter Site
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 07:54:20 PM »
I printed out the maintenance schedule from the manual and I do my own maintenance.  I just mark down the mileage and the date that the service is performed.  Changing the engine oil and gear oil is very easy, even for people who are not mechanically inclined.  Changing the spark plug is not difficult either, however, checking and adjusting the valves is beyond the scope (or comfort level) of most people.  There are videos available online that walk you through most of the procedures and service manuals are available as well.

All that being said, I now have 1900 miles on my scooter and I did my services at 184 miles, 601 miles and 1820 miles.  Total cost to me has been engine oil, gear oil, an air filter and my time.  I'm guessing I have $50 into the scooter so far, not counting the $2600 I paid for it. And gas, of course LOL.

Be sure to check all your nuts and bolts for tightness.  The ones most likely to come loose are the screws that hold the heat shroud on the muffler and the lower right bolt that holds the air cleaner box in place.
2012 Kymco Like 200i Black and Blue
White Bell Revolver EVO Modular Helmet with Dark Smoke Shield
States I have scootered in...

ckgonska

• View Profile
Is $372.92 good for first 600 mile Like service?
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 10:16:39 PM »
I think I paid about $150. They even changed out the plug.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 02:45:53 AM »
Too high... do it yourself.... just change the oil, clean the cvt, clean the filter, tighten nuts and bolts...

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
my 600 mile service was right at $100.
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 05:55:35 PM »
The price you were quoted is outragous.
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

JOB

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 12:34:22 AM »
Stig, My 1st dealer service at 600 miles was by a Kymco ATV dealer as there is not a scooter dealer here. He charged me $184. I ddidn't think that was too bad and his tech let me watch the valve adjust. I think your dealer is a little high. Get an estimate from a local cycle shop and see if he is competitive or not. If he knows you are aware of local labor rates he may come down. If not do the service yourself. The like is no more complicated than your old VW. After the first service to confirm my warranty  I have performed all maintenance except rear tire replacement. Jeff

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 02:30:57 AM »
I can buy a used scooter for $350.00    ;D

claynine

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2013, 05:14:55 AM »
Get a good set of tools.  Sears has a nice 154 piece set for about $100 and an air compressor for $108.  These two items will go a long way on doing your own maintenance in a fun and relaxing way. There are a number of youtube videos that walk you through many of the maintenance items.  You need a feeler gauge to do the valves. Some paper towels, an oil pan and a funnel will get you started for the lube changes.  Give yourself plenty of time and take one project at a time.  See the video and have fun with it.  Be careful taking off the plastic body parts as the tabs will break.  The vids will show where the tabs are and how to be careful taking them apart.  If you are new to mechanical work...don't over tighten the bolts / nuts. If you have questions...ask them here.  There are lots of us that are willing to share our experiences with anyone who will ask.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()