Author Topic: Liking my new Downtown and Introduction  (Read 1639 times)

kayakbuilder

• View Profile
Liking my new Downtown and Introduction
« on: April 23, 2013, 05:24:49 AM »
My first post wasn't an introduction, but a question, so now I thought I'd just introduce myself.  Just bought my new Downtown a little over a month ago.  I've been commuting on an '08 Yamaha Zuma for the past five years, and really like the Downtown, but miss how nimble my Zuma is.  I wanted a bike for the highway, so that I could visit my aging parents without having to drive my HD 3/4 ton crew-cab 4x4 an hour each way.  The Downtown is doing a nice job of being able to do the highway stretches, and still be good for running around the city.  I used to ride a '72 Honda CB 350 back in the '80s but stopped riding until five years ago.

I use the login name kayakbuilder because I build kayaks as a hobby.  I am an 'older' father of two fairly young kids (9 and 10), who both want to ride with me.  My wife has no desire to ride due to a bad experience as a kid.  I am a Sr. Application DBA/Programmer in public service.  I live in the cool, wet Pacific Northwest, and still mostly ride year round.  I enjoy most outdoor activities in almost any weather, but am becoming more of a weather wimp as I get older.

I love to tinker and hopped up my '08 Zuma quite a bit, but still kept it reliable.  I also have been rebuilding a '99 Zuma II that was wrecked by the previous owner.

I will ask another question though.  My Downtown makes a clunking noise (sounds like up front) going over some bumps.  I have yet to isolate where it is coming from.  Is this normal, or should I take it back by the dealership?

I am a fairly busy individual, but look forward to contributing to this forum as I get to know these machines better.

Here is my current fleet, but I am selling the middle one.
'13 Downtown 300 White
'08 Yamaha Zuma Raven 70cc BBK, LV ZX Exhaust, CF Reeds, Sport Windscreen, SOLD
'99 Yamaha Zuma II 70cc BBK
James 1:27

Vivo

• View Profile
Re: Liking my new Downtown and Introduction
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 05:50:07 AM »
Welcome kayakbuilder and welcome to the forum!... quite an introduction...some people here would rather just introduce their avatars and handles,,, Lol!  Nice bikes you got there... and the clunking sound, I think, would not be normal for a new scoot... like you said, you still have to isolate it...  it's either from your forks or something in the fairing... ride safe!

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 09:26:09 AM »
Hi and welcome. I found some loose connectors making noises on my scoot. You have to take the
plastic off to find them. The whiteone down near the horn is one;
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 09:28:42 AM by MotoRandy123 »
2012 Yager GT 200I - Southern NH

jwalz1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 02:47:53 PM »
Very nice.  White is EASILY the best color.

duesouth

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 03:49:41 PM »
I had a bug eye too. Was a fun bike and my fist scoot, put in a 70cc engine, carb, pipe the works. Bought it as a toy and found out I really liked scoots, more so than motorcycles...well most motorcycles. Clunking doesn't sound normal, at least mine doesn't and still doesn't after 12,000 miles.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 04:23:28 PM »
My new (848 miles) has the "clunking" since day one. Sounds like it's in the fork tubes. Can't find anything loose in the plastic nose. Welcome!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Joe7911

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 12:28:00 AM »
I also just got a new DT 300i last sunday. I also ride year around in Miami.
I have noticed noise in my front end but its a loud clunk when applying the front brakes. I figure that will go away as the bike brakes in.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()