Author Topic: How to remove Bad Gas?  (Read 1504 times)

cshaw99

• View Profile
How to remove Bad Gas?
« on: April 24, 2013, 03:01:01 AM »
My Xciting won't start and from reading this and other forums it seems like the issue may be bad gas.  I purchase a gas siphon but I have been unable to get the tube more than 6" down the gas tube. 

Any suggestion another way to remove stale gas?  Or a better way to get the tube into the tank?

Vivo

• View Profile
Re: How to remove Bad Gas?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 03:06:34 AM »
How about mixing stale gas with gas stabilizer or Sta-bil? Might refresh your old gas...

MaryK

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 12:14:54 PM »
Gas stabilizer will NOT refresh old gas but they will prevent further deteration.

Fuel system cleaners like B12, Techron or Sea Foam will clean up some of the residue of the old gas.

And Sea Foam is also a gas stabilizer.  So, I would try using it at the amounts specified on the label.

I expect that the gas fill inlet has a restricter in the neck and that  is preventing the hose from going down.
Probably removing the tank is the best way to get the gas out, but disconnecting the outlet  valve (petcock)
could get most of the gas out... slowly.

I hope you get it solved and back on the road.

Where did the bad gas come from ?
New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

codger78

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 10:22:26 PM »
I used an inexpensive siphon. 
I spent a day trying to figure out why my first start-up of the season was super difficult, using up half of the battery just to keep the scooter running for more than a few seconds, and then once on the road the idling was so low that it the engine quit and refused to restart.
OK..so I had not run it more than a few miles last year and never really had to refill the tank for over a year.  Even with stabilizer in a tank kept full, as it turns out, the gas was just too old for the engine to develop much power.
I figured that was the easiest cause of the problem and when I put in fresh gas. the scooter ran like a charm after a few passes up and down the street to clear up the carburetor.
Maybe I'll try using the old gas in the lawn mower.
borrowed dust

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()