Author Topic: Running in Kymco Like 50  (Read 1235 times)

chewner

• View Profile
Running in Kymco Like 50
« on: April 28, 2013, 02:25:02 PM »
Hey Everyone!

First time scooter owner here (and a lady one) so excuse my no know how on the engine stuff...

My question is...

in the manual it says you have to run in the engine (LIKE 50) at 30km/ph for the first 1000 km! Anyone got a Like 50 and done this / not done this????

We did not know and drove it home doing about 45km/ph and have been riding it for a couple of days (have done 70 kms) before I realised after re-reading the manual as you do.  Also, this is IMPOSSIBLE to do - I live in Adelaide and even here you couldn't ride around at that speed - it is dangerous and the police would certainly not appreciate it.

Also - if you have the de restrictor kit (whatever it is) mod done - does that take you up to 60km?  I live near main roads that are speed limited 60 and don't want to end up as someone's hood ornament.

The dealer did not say anything about running it in at this speed.  I love my scooter and am worried I am going to damage it  :'(.

Hope someone out there can help answer my questions.  Would really appreciate it.

And sorry if I sound like I have no idea what I am on about - that's because I don't - but if I don't ask I won't know! :)

ninja

• View Profile
Re: Running in Kymco Like 50
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 03:47:34 PM »
Don't worry. You didn't hurt your scooter. There are different schools of thought on the best way to treat a new engine. Some say that you should run them hard, some say ride it as you would normally ride and some say follow the mfg recommendations. The debate goes on, but one thing that is important is that you not spend a sustained period running at the same speed during the break-in period so vary your speed as you ride. Don't abuse it, but I don't believe you need to baby it either. Just ride it with respect and you will be fine.
2013 Super8 150

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 11:34:56 PM »
They want you to ride it gently to avoid heat build up in different areas of the engine.
The general idea is to not rev too high at first and vary the speed. I like to accelerate
then decelerate a lot during the first 20 - 50 miles and stay below 30 MPH if possible.
After that slowly build up speed ride by ride until 500 - 600 miles. They want the least
warrenty claims but it might not result in the best performing motor...
2012 Yager GT 200I - Southern NH

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 02:33:11 AM »
Just vary your speed and not abuse it ... ride safe...

chewner

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 03:48:22 PM »
Phew!  Thank you everyone.  It had a rest today to recover!  So the general gist is that it is okay to ride it the way I have as long as I don't rev it too much and vary my speed.  Okay...thanks heaps!  I am sure I will be on here again asking many more questions.  And thank you too for the speedy replies.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()