Author Topic: Insurance, warranty, and doing your own service.  (Read 1708 times)

exhalent99

• View Profile
Insurance, warranty, and doing your own service.
« on: April 29, 2013, 05:23:24 PM »
I consider myself to be pretty handy and very good when it comes to mechanical and electrical assemblies.  I fix computers for a living.  I can follow diagrams and instructions expertly.

I really want to perform the routine maintenance on my Like on my own.

My question is: Does doing the fluids and the valve clearance at the proper times require a licensed kymco technician to satisfy the warranty and insurance stipulations?  I really can't justify paying for what I personally can do easily.

Of couse I would keep exhaustive records including pictures, dates, receipts and such.

I Like you.  Do you Like me?

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Insurance, warranty, and doing your own service.
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 06:43:12 PM »
I will watch the answers to this question with interest!

(IF it is like most automotive warranties re. oil changes, etc. - if you keep good records, sales slips for the oil, gaskets, etc.) the manufacturer is prrety much obliged to prove your maintenance caused a problem. However- just imagine asking this question of your dealer's service manager! )

The big one, as it seems to me, is the issue of valve adjustments - since a chimp can change the oils without screwing it up. Which raises another question to debate - since many service techs say , "Naw, you don't need to mess with the valves if she's running good - not till you get a few K miles on it, ya don't!") What will your   service manager say ?

Is this a question we can ask of a regional service manager? Anyone know how to reach one?
PS: please shoot a video of you removing that front cover to get at the cylinder head for the valve adjustment! I'll send you a donut if you do!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 06:51:41 PM by OldSchoot »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

spatechjohn

• 2013 Like 200i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 07:31:51 PM »
The valves are incredibly easy to check/set. It's worth doing it yourself especially when you consider the hassle of getting to and from the shop & time w/out your scoot. There's a YouTube video showing how to do it on a Super 8-the Like 200i is pretty close. Plus, setting your valves is a whole Zen/Pirsig/quality experience.

exhalent99

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 10:02:39 PM »
The valves are incredibly easy to check/set. It's worth doing it yourself especially when you consider the hassle of getting to and from the shop & time w/out your scoot. There's a YouTube video showing how to do it on a Super 8-the Like 200i is pretty close. Plus, setting your valves is a whole Zen/Pirsig/quality experience.

I agree, I think that as long as you have relatively steady hands, everyone should take the time and try.  Not only do you learn and understand the task at hand, often times you learn a bunch of useful information not even related to that task that will apply at some point (as you research).

That super 8 video on youtube is great by the way.  Very easy to follow.  Also having the service manual is very important, I noticed a link to it in a post on here.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 02:40:15 AM »
First of all, different dealers treat customers differently... Some are lax on their warranty stipulations, some are very strict... It also differs from place to place.. country to country... My dealer is very lax on warranties and very good to customers... why? because he wants his customers to go back again and again especially after warranty services...  Our scooters are not fragile things that break when a non-expert tinkers with it...  The manufacturer is not aware of the actual scenarios between dealers and end-users, so the dealer can be flexible in his practices. 

exhalent99

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 03:02:03 AM »
Makes sense vivo.
I think I will discuss it with the dealer, bur regardless of what they say I will be doing my own maintenance. I'm not too concerned with a 2 year warranty.  I might let them do the first one just to be sure the most expensive parts dont need replacing.  After that if something fails or I break it the cost to order the part will still be cheaper than a few dealer services put together.

Cheers

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 03:11:25 AM »
Makes sense vivo.
I think I will discuss it with the dealer, bur regardless of what they say I will be doing my own maintenance. I'm not too concerned with a 2 year warranty.  I might let them do the first one just to be sure the most expensive parts dont need replacing.  After that if something fails or I break it the cost to order the part will still be cheaper than a few dealer services put together.

Cheers

Yes, exactly my principle... If I break a part, I'll just replace that part... Also, if the dealer is only available on a weekday, I have to miss one day's pay to get my scoot serviced... and that is expensive...  My Kymco is going 2 years now and I never had a problem....   

Captain Nemo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 08:36:17 PM »
I had to reply to this because:
A) I can identify with your self description (Geek with a tool kit who can't leave an item as stock & has to hack it! ;) )
B) wordslinger posted a link to the Like 200i Service Manual on Scribd, & I have a backup copy on my GoogleDrive

Good luck!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()