Author Topic: new scooter law  (Read 3000 times)

blue

• View Profile
new scooter law
« on: May 01, 2013, 10:54:16 PM »
Are state just past the law that a moped can be 100cc and under. But at the same time they cant go no faster then 30. That I dont understand. But I will be looking for a biger scoot it will be easy to up grade for more speed for sure.

artist22405

• View Profile
Re: new scooter law
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 11:07:42 PM »
As usual people in politics dont understand what there putting into law. they dont understand the basics of engine confused displacement and the average speed a vehicle travels at. To make it more confusing law enforcement will be more confused. As here in Illnios a law was passed that  atfter two minutes at a red light you can go though it if it doesnt turn green because of the way scooters and light motorcycles dont shift the magnetic switches in the road but tell a cop that .
I have seen 70cc scooters that will do 60 all day long. Displacement or spped choose one or the other.   

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 11:50:00 PM »
Are state just past the law that a moped can be 100cc and under. But at the same time they cant go no faster then 30. That I dont understand. But I will be looking for a biger scoot it will be easy to up grade for more speed for sure.

Why upgrade to a bigger scoot, you'll only buy yourself some tickets. The law may be a way of making more money cause larger scoots will break the law and do 40 or 50 when they see the oportunity.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 02:12:55 AM »
One of the reason is that scooter and scooter engine manufacturers especially in China are phasing out the below 100cc class... There is a bigger market for the 100cc and above models in the rest of the world and the 100cc has become the entry level small engine...

Carol

• Brainerd, Minnesota
  • Look me up on facebook !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 06:32:29 AM »

In Minnesota the light has to cycle 2 times, can go through it on the 3 one.   I have had this issue, what I did was adjust the position of the scooter and wave the car behind me forward to trip the light. Probably not "legal" to double park....... but I haven't had any issues with the po po.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to skid in broadside , thoroughly used up , totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!!"

MassScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 03:12:00 PM »
One of the reason is that scooter and scooter engine manufacturers especially in China are phasing out the below 100cc class... There is a bigger market for the 100cc and above models in the rest of the world and the 100cc has become the entry level small engine...

Vivo: That's applies to everywhere except in the USA. Most scooters here are 50cc & under. That's because most states do not require a motorcycle endorsement & many states don't require registration or insurance. Here is Massachusetts, they have changed the law so all scooters need to be registered & have insurance now. I think in Europe, our 50cc scenario is their 125cc.
Gloucester, MA. (Home of the Perfect Storm)
2012 Silver Kymco GT300i (Biondi Windshield/Shad SH40 Cargo Topcase)
2015 White Honda PCX150 (Shad SH37 Topcase)
2013 Yellow Lance PCH125 (Shad SH33 Topcase)

ScooterCommuter

• View Profile
Re: Re: new scooter law
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 03:51:53 PM »
I think in Europe, our 50cc scenario is their 125cc.

Back in the UK it was similar to over here. Your regular divers license was good for a moped, which at least 10 years ago had a similar definition to here in MN - 50cc and 30mph max. The 125 limit was for folks riding on a motorcycle permit, on the permit you were limited to 125cc and 12hp maximum power. Hence the extreme popularity of 125cc 2t bikes like the Yamaha 125lc - and yeah, we were about as enthusiastic in derestricting those as folks on this board are for the 50cc scoots >:D

mnpugdog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 06:06:31 PM »
  In Minnesota the light has to cycle 2 times, can go through it on the 3 one.   I have had this issue, what I did was adjust the position of the scooter and wave the car behind me forward to trip the light. Probably not "legal" to double park....... but I haven't had any issues with the po po.

Carol you are wrong on the Minnesota law. Here is the law word for word.

MN Red Light Law

169.06 SIGNS, SIGNALS, MARKINGS.
Subd. 9.Affirmative defense relating to unchanging traffic-control signal.
(a) A person operating a bicycle or motorcycle who violates subdivision 4 by entering or crossing an intersection controlled by a traffic-control signal against a red light has an affirmative defense to that charge if the person establishes all of the following conditions:
(1) the bicycle or motorcycle has been brought to a complete stop;
(2) the traffic-control signal continues to show a red light for an unreasonable time;
(3) the traffic-control signal is apparently malfunctioning or, if programmed or engineered to change to a green light only after detecting the approach of a motor vehicle, the signal has apparently failed to detect the arrival of the bicycle or motorcycle; and
(4) no motor vehicle or person is approaching on the street or highway to be crossed or entered or is so far away from the intersection that it does not constitute an immediate hazard.
(b) The affirmative defense in this subdivision applies only to a violation for entering or crossing an intersection controlled by a traffic-control signal against a red light and does not provide a defense to any other civil or criminal action.

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 06:07:36 PM »
Here is Massachusetts, they have changed the law so all scooters need to be registered & have insurance now. I think in Europe, our 50cc scenario is their 125cc.
Every motor vehicle must have insurance and registration plate, in Switzerland even the bicycles. The registration prcoess itself is varying with the state and vehicle category.

MassScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2013, 06:41:11 PM »
Every motor vehicle must have insurance and registration plate, in Switzerland even the bicycles. The registration prcoess itself is varying with the state and vehicle category.

TS1: That's interesting! Geez...Even a bicycle? Most states in the US require you get a 1 to 2-year "sticker" for a moped/scooter that's under 50cc's & that's it. No M/C endorsement required. I think many states will be cracking down on this because many people lose their car license for DUI & they'll will get a 50cc scooter to continue with their transportation.     
Gloucester, MA. (Home of the Perfect Storm)
2012 Silver Kymco GT300i (Biondi Windshield/Shad SH40 Cargo Topcase)
2015 White Honda PCX150 (Shad SH37 Topcase)
2013 Yellow Lance PCH125 (Shad SH33 Topcase)

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2013, 10:06:02 PM »
they also changed the that if you are over 18 you dont need a helmet. That is realy dumb.
I see parents rideing there kids the kid has a helmet on and the parent dont how to you explane that if you crash . my dad is died in the crash but because I have a helmet on I lived. dont sound righr to me.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 01:50:47 AM »
Vivo: That's applies to everywhere except in the USA. Most scooters here are 50cc & under. That's because most states do not require a motorcycle endorsement & many states don't require registration or insurance. Here is Massachusetts, they have changed the law so all scooters need to be registered & have insurance now. I think in Europe, our 50cc scenario is their 125cc.

If the U.S. is the only country requiring 50cc bikes, then manufacturers will really consider phasing-out the 50cc and convince everybody that the smallest bike you can get is the 100cc... I'm sure the market for 50cc bikes in the U.S. is not in the millions...

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 06:42:00 AM »
I think many states will be cracking down on this because many people lose their car license for DUI & they'll will get a 50cc scooter to continue with their transportation.
Wouldn't work here. No driving license - no (motor) driving. Driving can even be prohibited for bicycles and wheelchairs (extremely unconvincible repeat offenders, but of course the'll do it again after beeing released from jail).

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2013, 07:06:39 AM »
they also changed the that if you are over 18 you dont need a helmet. That is realy dumb.
I see parents rideing there kids the kid has a helmet on and the parent dont how to you explane that if you crash . my dad is died in the crash but because I have a helmet on I lived. dont sound righr to me.

Yes, because people over 18 are hard headed!!! They don't need helmets..!!  Lol!!   

Seriously though.... don't they know the purpose of the helmet?

houndguy

• Fear the mangy mutt!
  • Your idiotism amuses me.
    • View Profile
    • Scooter Revolution!
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2013, 01:47:02 AM »
If the U.S. is the only country requiring 50cc bikes, then manufacturers will really consider phasing-out the 50cc and convince everybody that the smallest bike you can get is the 100cc... I'm sure the market for 50cc bikes in the U.S. is not in the millions...

I disagree.  I think it is in the millions of $$$.  That being said, your right however that the 100/125 cc is the future.  The market is global and if the global market demands a higher cc the US market will start getting more 100/125 cc bikes.

Europe for example is requiring all motorcycles to have ABS in a few years.  We are starting to see more ABS as standard gear on motorcycles here in the US because of this change. 

I personally don't think a little 50cc is safe for most city driving anyway; where as a 125cc is able to do most city speeds (send hate mail to my IM box please).
Just another scooter blog - http://www.2smallerwheels.blogspot.com

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()