Author Topic: who in this fourm is scootin cuz of a dui?  (Read 2628 times)

amccraw0

• View Profile
who in this fourm is scootin cuz of a dui?
« on: July 14, 2009, 01:21:03 AM »
 ???

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
Re: who in this fourm is scootin cuz of a dui?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 01:21:48 AM »
..present...don't drink and ride...

peace

« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 01:39:02 AM by wordslinger »
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 02:44:42 PM »
In Europe you are not allowed to drive even a scooter if you were DUI.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 04:25:32 PM »
..that's probably going to happen here at some point...NC recently tried to propose that 50cc riders purchase a registration and insurance, both of which are not required at this point...

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 04:29:40 PM »
Not in TN, either. Even to ride a 50cc, you need a valid driver's license and a DOT-approved helmet.

Of course, the chance of getting pulled over on a 50cc are fairly slim, unless you're riding on a divided highway (or doing something boneheaded). When I had the Vino for just over two years, I was pulled over once -- because the rookie cop didn't realize the scooter was considered a "motorized bicycle," and did not require a tag.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 04:34:24 PM by jprestonian »

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 04:34:44 PM »
...I had installed blue LED lighting on various areas of my scooter...beneath the deck, behind the front cowling, beneath the rear seat...Looked awesome at night...I got pulled by a local cop..told me I had to remove the LEDs because I might be mistaken for an emergency vehicle....I tried not to laugh...

jprestonian

• View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 04:37:10 PM »
Tennessee is also strict about the color of lighting on ANY vehicle. Nothing but white, yellow and green showing to the front, period, and only red and yellow to the rear (except for white reverse lights).

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 04:39:33 PM »
..that's about the same here...I can use the purple "black-lite"...which is what I'm in the process of installing...He told me never blue or red...

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 10:07:28 PM »
Not in TN, either. Even to ride a 50cc, you need a valid driver's license and a DOT-approved helmet.

Of course, the chance of getting pulled over on a 50cc are fairly slim, unless you're riding on a divided highway (or doing something boneheaded).

It is quite common to get stopped over here for no reason whatsoever. They usually just check your driver's license and whether the registration/insurance are valid.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 10:09:59 PM »
...where are you from, axy?

jprestonian

• View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 10:26:12 PM »
I suspect in "liquorcycle" states like NC, getting pulled over on a 50cc is more common, just 'cause the cops are looking for DUI riders.

My experience in Nashville is that cops are too embarrassed to pull over scooters, in general... or like most other cagers, they simply don't notice "us."  I've had cops pull up next to me at lights, roll down the window and ask MPG, top speed, etc., but usually in a dismissive, "I'm too macho to ride something like that" way. Even the one rookie cop who pulled me over on the Vino for not having a (not-required) tag asked a bunch of questions about it.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 10:35:55 PM »
..yeah, I've even had it spelled.."licker-sikle"..in a cpl of comments on my myspace page...idiots..lol...

..I did get stopped by a NC State Trooper the other evening...

..He said that he clocked me at 50 in a 45...downhill, of course..lol..

I explained that I had just installed a new variator...that my old one was SHOT (see previous "what a shame" post in Agility 50 board), and that I had no idea that I was going to be running that fast...and really, I didn't...

..he told me to watch my speed, that personally, he would rather see some of us moving a lil quicker on the highways..but, also, that he never said that..

..also said that if he clocked me over again, that he was gonna ticket me...
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 10:45:31 PM by wordslinger »

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2009, 10:51:35 PM »
I did manage to get a DUI on mine almost a year ago!  Don't drink and scoot!  I also got pulled over doing 45 in a 45!  The a-hole cop was going to write me for operating an unregistered motor cycle w/out an operators license, a criminal offense!  He decided to let me go on a warning after he pulled my record!  Figured I had been hasseled enough on the thing!  He said scooters are not allowed to exceed 35mph on level ground.  He sat on that same road almost everyday for 2 wks making sure I wasn't "speeding".

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2009, 10:56:23 PM »
..wow, shaka, that sucks...fortunately, I learned my lesson....I do still drink, but if I were to get another DWI (in NC, it's "Driving While Impaired"), any type of intoxicating substance...I would spend 16 months in the care of the North Carolina Department of Corrections...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2009, 03:20:36 AM »
Hey Y'all, In florida you need a valid drivers lisc., registration that you must renew every 6 months, and believe it or not personal injury insurance if you do not wear a helmet. All this for a 50cc! I live in a town that has 4 full time cops, no traffic lites, and this will give it away, THE WORLDS SMALLEST POLICE STATION. so here's to BIG BROTHER  F>T>P>    All this is fact, look it up.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()