Author Topic: Kevlar for Like 200i?  (Read 4320 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Kevlar for Like 200i?
« on: May 08, 2013, 10:57:55 AM »
Does anyone make a Kevlar drive belt for the Like 200i? And if so, what are the pros and cons of using one?
And does anyone know the size of the OEM belt that is on there now?
Thanks~!
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
Re: Kevlar for Like 200i?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 11:15:12 AM »
Does anyone make a Kevlar drive belt for the Like 200i? And if so, what are the pros and cons of using one?
And does anyone know the size of the OEM belt that is on there now?
Thanks~!

Kymco uses one of the best belts in existence, they last longer then most and cost more then
some for a good reason.

Kevlar belts are for racing/short-term use, they don't stretch as much under acceleration or slip,
but don't last as long and always fail in a spectacular way - you don't to do that.

OEM belts are the best way to go.

Now.. if you want to change something to make the scoot better.. Dr Pulley sliders are the best
scooter mod out there!
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

MassScoot

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 11:49:21 AM »
2+ for Cortez. Use OEM belts. They are excellent & work very well.
Gloucester, MA. (Home of the Perfect Storm)
2012 Silver Kymco GT300i (Biondi Windshield/Shad SH40 Cargo Topcase)
2015 White Honda PCX150 (Shad SH37 Topcase)
2013 Yellow Lance PCH125 (Shad SH33 Topcase)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 12:14:50 PM »
Kymco uses one of the best belts in existence, they last longer then most and cost more then
some for a good reason.

Kevlar belts are for racing/short-term use, they don't stretch as much under acceleration or slip,
but don't last as long and always fail in a spectacular way - you don't to do that.

OEM belts are the best way to go.

Now.. if you want to change something to make the scoot better.. Dr Pulley sliders are the best
scooter mod out there!

Thanks, I ordered a spare OEM belt last evening. OK, for a new scooter guy what is a slider?
And I'm not looking for more speed or more umph off the line, etc. , just better working scooter( if that's possible?) , if you know what I mean.  Are sliders the 6 round barrel shaped things in the CVT, (or whatever it's called) See. hopeless here!
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 02:55:56 PM »

Thanks, I ordered a spare OEM belt last evening. OK, for a new scooter guy what is a slider?
And I'm not looking for more speed or more umph off the line, etc. , just better working scooter( if that's possible?) , if you know what I mean.  Are sliders the 6 round barrel shaped things in the CVT, (or whatever it's called) See. hopeless here!

They're currently rollers (as in - round), but yeah, that's what I meant.

A typical thing to do is get a set of sliders that are 10% lighter then the current rollers that you have.

This will bump the revs a bit giving you better acceleration, and because of their shape, lower the cruising revs
(probably at speeds over 50mph on the 200i) so you save fuel and have a quieter ride. You get a nice boost in
midrange (accelerating from 30 to 50mph for example), which is why most people do it.

It is essentially a performance mod, and unless you're desperate for better acceleration, OR ride at speeds near
the top speed often, no real need to do it, as your only benefit would be a bit better throttle response around town
(that can't hurt things, right?!).

You DID buy the 200 over the 50cc version for a reason, right?  ;D
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 05:39:33 PM »
I plan on replacing the rollers with Dr Pulley sliders when it's time to replace the belt. Anyone know a good online source for Dr Pulley sliders?

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 06:42:46 PM »
I plan on replacing the rollers with Dr Pulley sliders when it's time to replace the belt. Anyone know a good online source for Dr Pulley sliders?

I ordered 4 times from buggypartsnw.com, contacted them by email for availability first, paid with paypal,
got them in about 2 weeks half way around the globe every time.

They were recommended by the unionmaterial guys (the slider manufacturer) as a world-wide distributor
(and the sip scooter shop in EU).

Highly recommended!
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 10:27:53 PM »
[/quote]
Thanks for explaining this stuff.
And, yes -IF I was going to buy a 50cc scooter - I would have purchased the Honda Metropolitan or the Yamaha Vino for $1999 (both very beautiful & precision made scooters; each with a better seat than the Like) sitting nearby the Kymcos .
BUT, at 270 lbs I think I'd still be sitting on that 50cc Like in a cloud of belt smoke in the dealer's lot.
I DO like my Like 200i LX. Taking the long way to work and home - and had my first rain ride yesterday. No issues.
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 02:23:38 PM »

Thanks for explaining this stuff.
And, yes -IF I was going to buy a 50cc scooter - I would have purchased the Honda Metropolitan or the Yamaha Vino for $1999 (both very beautiful & precision made scooters; each with a better seat than the Like) sitting nearby the Kymcos .
BUT, at 270 lbs I think I'd still be sitting on that 50cc Like in a cloud of belt smoke in the dealer's lot.
I DO like my Like 200i LX. Taking the long way to work and home - and had my first rain ride yesterday. No issues.

You got these tires on?

If so, make a note to change them for the next season or you won't be happy riding
on wet roads any more.
 ::)
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 12:12:19 PM »
Don't expect to see much dust and wear from the malossi (if it's the kevlar model), but I'd replace it
sooner then the OEM belt just in case.
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2013, 02:53:40 AM »
Don't expect to see much dust and wear from the malossi (if it's the kevlar model), but I'd replace it
sooner then the OEM belt just in case.

+1000   and the wear might just be on the drive face....  Use these Kevlars for racing and not for every day....  If problems occur, your OEM belt will snap but all other parts remain intact, however, if you have a Kevlar belt that won't snap, your other engine parts might snap!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()