Author Topic: New Downtown  (Read 2031 times)

Philly

• View Profile
New Downtown
« on: May 11, 2013, 09:29:36 PM »
Hi: Just wanted to introduce myself to the forums. Been lurking for a couple of months so decided to join. Purchased a leftover 2012 and traded my 2009 Yamaha BWS 125 (Zuma in the US) in on it. So far I only have just over 300 km on it as we had a rotten spring and didn't do much riding. Still breaking it in. Did my first oil change at 300 km and I was surprised how much crud from the engine was on the oil filter. I like doing most of my own service so I don't know how that will affect my warranty. I am keeping records though. So far I am loving it.

Joe7911

• View Profile
Re: New Downtown
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 10:01:34 PM »
Welcome, I have 500 miles on mine and love it. Great bike.

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 01:02:12 AM »
  did you change the oil when it was hot,. before any crap has time to settle,. love my ride going on 2 years,. just got to stop taking things apart,. 

moparkid

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 01:12:12 AM »
Congrats on the new DT 300 Philly  ;). I've had mine now for about a month...already logged over 1000 miles on it. It loves to go 70, no matter how much I try to pull back the reins! But wouldnt you know it...the minute I finally pull the trigger on a DT 300, the bike I really wanted became available at the price I could afford, an Xciting 500i with less than 800 miles and the lady only wants 4000. I gotta learn to stop being so impatient...

Didnt think the 300i was gonna scratch my itch but after a month I am very happy with it.

Philly

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 03:56:28 AM »
  did you change the oil when it was hot,. before any crap has time to settle,. love my ride going on 2 years,. just got to stop taking things apart,.

Yep. I always change the oil when hot. There was also some very tiny pieces of metal in the oil. Probably due to new engine break-in.

de dee

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 05:32:32 AM »
   thats why I changed the oil at 25 miles ,. 50 miles 100 miles 200 miles, 400 miles and the dealer did a change at 600 miles,  I did not do the the gear oil change , so the dealer did it at 600 miles,.at 1,000 miles I changed oil and gears # 90 and I was surprized to see so much crap in the gear oil ,. I changed it hot,the dealer did it cold, what a difference,.

kantuckid

• retired teacher KY
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2013, 12:16:08 PM »
Please don't take this the wrong way  :) : Honestly, if there is visual evidence that your oil "needed" changed at those ridiculously short intervals then you have an engine problem & changing oil won't "fix it"- otherwise a clear case of overkill. Perhaps there was something "seen with the naked eye" (you were the one there to know) but to do the change that many times & "see something" is saying something is coming apart. That's different than casual debris from manufacturing.
They may "throw these scoots together"but I suspect it's real clean where it takes place & parts are  likewise.

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2013, 02:29:13 PM »
I'm not a big proponent of short oil change intervals but I changed mine at 130 miles and
again at 250 and the one at 250 looked clean so it looks like I'll do it at 600 then according
to the manufacturers suggestions in the manual.

It only takes a liter and is quick and easy to do so more often is probably better than less often.
I was reading recently that the engine casings are sand cast and tiny bits of sand are "washed
out" of the metal during the early heat cycling of the motor. A clean engine is a happy engine!
2012 Yager GT 200I - Southern NH

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2013, 07:51:56 PM »
Welcome, Philly! I am delirious with my DT 300i! Quiet, smooth and seems happy at any speed. It grows on ya. I was happy with my Yager but I am glad my wife talked me into this one!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

de dee

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2013, 08:34:53 PM »
   THE SHORT OIL CHANGES  WAS BY   MOTO usa BRAKE IN ,  I now change oil every 2,000 km.    it gives me something to do on rainy days,  today I changed the anti freeze,.  motor oil and gear oil  checked the variator and belt,. brakes good, I might ride in the rain tomorrow,.  have a good day !

Philly

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2013, 08:48:32 PM »
   THE SHORT OIL CHANGES  WAS BY   MOTO usa BRAKE IN ,  I now change oil every 2,000 km.    it gives me something to do on rainy days,  today I changed the anti freeze,.  motor oil and gear oil  checked the variator and belt,. brakes good, I might ride in the rain tomorrow,.  have a good day !

I'm doing my engine break-in by this method.  http://ntnoa.org/enginebreakin.htm

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()