Author Topic: Work Emergency! PROBLEM! Gas coming out of carb through air filter opening!!!  (Read 1439 times)

Shredder111

• View Profile
Hi guys,

I changed a couple things around on my bike and everything is hooked up correctly, but when I try to start the bike it won't start up and starts leaking gas upon start-up. I'm guessing I need to adjust something on the carb, because I almost got it running once. Gas is coming out of the carb through the air filter opening. I changed the jet from a 72 to a 90. What should I do?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 01:52:19 AM by Shredder111 »

Shredder111

• View Profile
btw the thing is clean inside and out and it doesn't leak from anywhere else. Only when I attempt to start it does it start seeping out..

Shredder111

• View Profile

Vivo

• View Profile
The fuel level in your carb bowl may be too high... can you adjust the float?

Shredder111

• View Profile
Vivo, how would I adjust the float?

Vivo

• View Profile
I'm not familiar with your scoot's carb.   Inside the float bowl is the float.. usually held by an arm or lever... is the arm made of plastic or metal?... if its metal, you can just bend it to adjust...

Another theory is that you have a dirty float needle... it is sticking and wont close... even if the float is up.. so the bowl overflows...
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 02:25:47 AM by Vivo »

Shredder111

• View Profile
I will take it apart real quick and check back real quick.. I know the arm is metal.. How much do I need to bend it and in which direction? The needle is clean.. Everything is flawless.

Vivo

• View Profile
I will take it apart real quick and check back real quick.. I know the arm is metal.. How much do I need to bend it and in which direction? The needle is clean.. Everything is flawless.

Just enough for the needle to close without overfilling the bowl... you can experiment...

The float and needle works the same as your toilet flush mechanism.  Gasoline fills the float bowl until the float rises up to force the float needle into its seat shutting off the gasoline flow. As the engine runs, the bowl empties.... the float drops allowing the needle to open and for gasoline to flow in again...

« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 02:43:22 AM by Vivo »

Shredder111

• View Profile
The scooter has sat around for two months without being used too. I don't see how that would influence the flooding, but that's just another detail I wanted to add. When I have the carb flipped upside down, which way should I move the float up or down? I'm kinda confused as to how it works. I tried lowering the float so it engages the needle sooner, but it's still pissing gas and sound like a sick bubbling baby, that's when I try to start it. It doesn't run at all! I'm so pissed because I need this for a interview and date tomorrow!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 04:26:17 AM by Shredder111 »

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
If it has been sitting around unused for two month, the gas has probably varnished and is gumming up the works. You'll need to pull the carb and soak it in carb cleaner for a while then let dry. Try using compressed air to clean out the jets, but don't stick anything inside them as you could damage the jets. You should probably drain the tank and refill with fresh gas. At the least pour a couple of ounces of Seafoam gas additive in the tank.

Shredder111

• View Profile
The carb was off of the bike the entire time, it's in brand new condition and completely clean. That's not the issue. The ignition issue might be the stale gas. The main issue is that my carb is ejaculating gas with every quick start flick.. It's probably a combination of both.. I will put new gas in, but I need more detailed advice on what to do with the carb.

Shredder111

• View Profile

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Vivo is right on as usual! The universal for float height is inspect and/or adjust so the float is parallel with the carb/float bowl flange. This is with the carb off the engine and upside down. However, your problem may not be float height. It may be a small piece of trash in the float valve seat. Remove carb from engine, remove float bowl, remove float and needle, inspect with magnifier (regardless of age of inspector), remove whatever crud in the seat that presents itself. Reassemble in reverse order. Report back here as to the success of the above operation.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

blue

• View Profile
try screwing the idel screw all the way back in then out 1,5 turns and see how it runns. if you have to you can back it out 1/4 turns at a time no farter the 2.5 turns.

Shredder111

• View Profile
Peters and Vivo actually resulted in the problem :D Hahaha, don't mean to diss you guys or anything, but you gave me bad advice in my other post about connecting my carb. You guys confused the overflow fitting with the gas in lol

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()