Author Topic: A video tutorial of the Like 200i Valve Adjustment  (Read 5829 times)

exhalent99

• View Profile
A video tutorial of the Like 200i Valve Adjustment
« on: May 18, 2013, 05:24:44 PM »
Hey guys, so we all know there's a few valve adjustment videos out there for similar scooters, but I have not seen a specific tutorial for our bike.

Im sure its straight forward enough once you get down to the valve cover, but my concern is removing the panels and what order to remove them and so on.

I really want to do it soon so I will make the video if I have to, trial and error, promise to bleep out the curse words...
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 03:44:53 PM by exhalent99 »
I Like you.  Do you Like me?

tortoise

• View Profile
Re: We need a video tutorial of the Like 200i Valve Adjustment
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 07:10:29 PM »
I will make the video if I have to
Please consider adequate lighting, fixed camera positions, and no obnoxious music . . excellent examples.

exhalent99

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 08:44:50 PM »
Yes I will take my time to make sure the video is done correctly.  I have done laptop LCD replacement videos and learned early on about angles and lighting. It will probably be done by the end of next week as I will probably take 5 hours to shoot the video, then another 5 to edit, which will be done in increments.

Wish me luck!

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 11:07:11 PM »
Dear Exhalent,
I've Fedexed you a donut~!

I have been circling my Like for weeks, staring down there at that panel. Lying in bed thinking through the steps, picturing the position of those Rubics Cube-like center panel clips as my mother-in-law tells me about her cat. Hearing again that yootoob German fellow doing his valves (even though I don't speak German - it was pretty clear -and I noticed his wife has lovely hands).

Now we're hearing scary stories of Kymcos coming out of the factory (in Rhode Island is it?) with tight valves. (OK, two guys - and the one fellow  misunderstood the question. Still.)

So - as Larry said to Bert, as they were storming up Omaha beach , "I'm right behind you all the way !"
In the mean time - while we await your production - I will purchase a new feeler gauge. Mine is rust-welded into one solid lump since I used it last to do my VW Beetle valves in 1978. And sneak a butter knife out to the garage, 'cause I think that might be the secret tool for that panel removal.........

If you do snap some of those clips off just soldier on (and edit out the "click"s from your video. We'll never know, until we follow you example and break a few ourselves. Then we'll likely have you banned from this forum. Kidding~!:))
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 12:08:47 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

tclhb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 02:12:31 AM »
A video or even detailed stills with arrows would be great! I want to learn to do this too.
Tom. Huntington Beach, California

exhalent99

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 05:02:13 AM »
Maybe in addition to the video I will also make a slide-show of pics and captions.

The butter knife is in my toolbox already  8)

I am pretty sure I'll be shooting Monday the 20th, its a holiday here in Canada.

Night all and I'll update you soon.

exhalent99

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 11:45:04 PM »
Valve adjustment finished!! ;D

I'm happy to report that it was easier than I expected.  The hardest part was moving the little clamp that holds that rubber hose on the valve cover.  The front plastic body piece just behind the battery cover was a slight challenge but with patience it isnt a big deal.

I am uploading 11gb of raw video to my computer now. I will be starting the editing tomorrow and if I'm feeling ambitious it will be done tomorrow night.  I'm gonna try to make it around 5 minutes in length.

I started up the bike when I was finished and maybe it was just me but I think it sounded better.  Might go riding tonight.  Going to do a cvt belt cover next, that seems like a pain with all the crap we gotta remove.

Ps. The valves were a little loose , now this might be because I haven't seen them since buying it new and I've put 900 kms on it, the canadian manual says adjust the valves at 300!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 11:49:17 PM by exhalent99 »

tclhb

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 04:41:26 AM »
Good news! Glad it went well. With your help I'm going to attempt this too.

exhalent99

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 09:03:05 PM »
Video is LIVE.

There were a few parts with iffy angles but I think I explained it pretty well.  I can still answer any questions about the whole procedure.

I forgot to mention, since we're unplugging the battery : Remember to set your clocks again!

good luck!

EDIT:  I did the adjustment about an hour after riding and it was warm...

Also, been riding a few times since and the pickup is SO MUCH BETTER!!  The engine sounds better and it gets up to speed a lot faster.  My valves must have been very loose!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 09:17:10 PM by exhalent99 »

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 12:52:56 AM »
Nice job ~!
I think this is very well done - and should be a nice guide for all of us 4-stroke LIKE owners.
3 comments:
1) OK, here we go with the warm or cold engine valve adjustment controversy. (I have always been told that when working with alloy engines, old VWs, scooters, etc. you let the engine cool overnight, first. I've put 1/2 million miles on 4 VWs using that practice.) My dealer requires the scooter overnight for a valve adjustment.
2) 'tis a good habit to remove the earth (-) black battery terminal first and reattach last.
3) Also, instructions often mention squirting a little oil on those working parts before replacing the valve cover (also, with an older scooter it might be a good idea to have a new valve cover gasket handy)

Best part is you take us down through the body panels to get to the valve cover. (many videos start at the valve cover and leave the rest a mystery)
Both of the fellows who work in my dealer's service dept. have stated that it is a "2 to 2 1/2 hour job to get down through all those body panels."  $90 per hour labor. Apparently  KYMCO does not issue a service book which states the common labor times for specific scooter services.
All-in-all - cudos to you (and your helper) for a super scooter instructional video.
We don't see that color Like here in the States - handsome color.
Scooter Youtubers will appreciate this as well, I'm sure.
Lastly, is that a Craftsman butter knife ?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 01:00:46 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 01:40:25 AM »
Great video exhalent99. What is the gap? It looked like .004, but I want to make certain.

My dealer did the first adjustment as part of the first service, but I'll do it from here on out to save on the 2 hours labor my dealer charges.

Kymco could have come up with a better cover. Those tabs are gonna break at some point.

I beat Vivo is in his kitchen right now gathering up the butter knives and putting them up for sale on eBay for $40 a pop as a speciality tool for scooters.  ;)

exhalent99

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2013, 03:07:26 AM »
Stig;

I was so jazzed to do the job after I borrowed a friend of mines feeler guage that the controversy escaped my mind. It wasnt until I touched the valve cover that I realized it was warm. I thought what the hell and went for it anyway, the camera is rolling and the show must go on. I have to say again that the bike has responded very well to the warm adjustment and if there is trouble it hasnt presented in the 100kms I've driven since.

In regards to the battery terminals, I totally forgot about that, and didnt stress the importance of care when dealing with electricity.  I was careful enough not to cross the wires, or complete the circuit with myself :o  but I know that doesnt remove all the risks.

I missed the one about squirting oil, but I see it as a good idea, something for us all to remember for the future.

I have to say a licensed kymco mechanic should be able to do the whole thing in an hour, after the cooldown. I did it in just under two hours being a total noob.

TroutBum;

Indeed the gap is 0.004in (0.1mm)

If Vivo does that I will help with the marketing for a cut.

tclhb

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2013, 03:21:34 AM »
Yes, he said 0.004". I've read that too. He also said it in mm, but I didn't catch the number.
Outstanding video! This helps me big time. If you could somehow get a little more volume on it that would make it better. When I'm watching this on my iPad in the garage with cars passing by I'll be rewinding it to hear you.
You make it all look easy! Very cool!

tclhb

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2013, 03:26:01 AM »
Two valves huh? I don't know why I thought it was four. I've even been telling friends it's a four valve single cylinder motor.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2013, 03:40:17 AM »
Two valves huh? I don't know why I thought it was four. I've even been telling friends it's a four valve single cylinder motor.

There are 4 valve upgrade kits in the market for scooters....  Kymco also have 4-valve engines in their new motorcycles....like in the Zing Darkside II
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 03:42:31 AM by Vivo »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()