Author Topic: leaky gas tank  (Read 1457 times)

soldout

• View Profile
leaky gas tank
« on: May 18, 2013, 06:26:13 PM »
Had my agility for 3 months and put about 2000kms.  The other day I pull into the garage after work.   Then later in the evening I noticed a Gas smell coming from the garage.  A tiny pool of gas laying on the ground.   Tore the scooter apart to find the short pipe with the valve was leaking.  Not the valve but the joint between the tank and the pipe.  Anyways this doesn't leave me with the best of feeling.   I might trade/sell later or for something a little more reliable.   Anyone ever have the same problem?
12' Burgman 400 - Throttle Lock, Best Back Rest, Passenger Backrest, Ram Ball Mount
09' Agility 125 - Puig Touring Windscreen, Shad 29 , 12V Underseat, Taplights, Ram Ball Mount, City Grips
09' Metropolitan - 12v, Ram Ball Mount

MaryK

• View Profile
Re: leaky gas tank
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 09:52:12 PM »
Is what you are calling a pipe really a hose and can't it be replaced ?

Is it in this drawing?

http://www.powersportswarehouse.com/p/Kymco?aribrand=KYM#/Kymco_USA/KN25SA_Agility_125/Fuel_Tank/2K03040005/2K03040049

scoot safely... after the repair
New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

soldout

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 03:09:40 AM »
No, 16950 threads onto the gas tank and so it seems the tank has a very weak joint at the area.  I dont know how they join the piece to the gas tank but its not 1 piece.  I have taking the tank and valve to a custom welding and fabrication shop, Im hoping they can weld the leak shut.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 04:53:09 PM by soldout »
12' Burgman 400 - Throttle Lock, Best Back Rest, Passenger Backrest, Ram Ball Mount
09' Agility 125 - Puig Touring Windscreen, Shad 29 , 12V Underseat, Taplights, Ram Ball Mount, City Grips

soldout

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 03:14:11 PM »
Ok, so I got my tank back last night and my shop was able to repair it for only $30....not bad I think, a lot better then $75 shipped for a new one.  So I put everything back together, cleaned out the clogged drain tube pan that sits under the gas tank, it was clogged with tiny rocks and caked mud.  I got everything back together and it started right up. 

Picture of the repaired tank.

The welds from the shop look/feel much stronger then the factory job, I dont know how they join the 2 sonic weld or what but this is how the tank should be done.

sasquatch

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 07:37:00 PM »
I'm experiencing the exact same issue.  However, I can't seem to figure out how to get the rear plastics off.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

soldout

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 07:24:53 PM »
Yeah, I start by taking off the seat then remove the under seat bucket and rear topcase and grab rail.  Theres 2 screws hidden inside the shell and then some on the backside up under the shell, both screws and plastic screws hold the shell on from the outside.  Then you kind of have to spread or separate the shell to get it to slide over the rear frame of the scooter.  I know this might not sound or read right but give it a try.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()